Sponsored

Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette...

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
There got to be a good successor. We're past the startup phase and need to move on to continuing operations with expansion of models for the future. Small CUV/SUV; expand Semi line to various size straight chassis; mid-size van/wagon for commercial/recreational uses; M3/Y (MX?) specialty vehicles (stripped down for municipal/first responder units).
Make-believe is fun. But, our opinions don't run the company. Same can be said of Rivian. The next big thing for Tesla is the sub-M3 affordable car for the masses. Not very sexy and doesn't get much media attention. Less attention than the semi. The roadster will get most of the attention, but little impact on the company's overall future.
Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

The every other is because pairs of SCs run off of a single circuit. You'll see them marked 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. We were taught to do every other unless they're full, simply because 2 Tesla cars on adjacent (e.g. 1A and 1B) SCs will slow the charging for both. (I don't know if this is true for V4s.)
As a Tesla owner, I'll try to be accommodating to non-Tesla vehicles as long as they're not d***s.
No CCS cars will be charging at stations that are 1A 1B 2A 2B etc because those are V1 V2 stations. They won't work and aren't listed on the maps so that's ok for people to skip spots. No CCS car will ever complain.

V3 are labeled 1A 1B 1C 1D and don't share capacity but that's the trouble as it's too hard to keep track of for Tesla owners and there will be space skipping there as well.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I was able to pull along side this one, still got dirty looks when people pulled into the space I was not using. 🙄

Interesting, as expected without internet connection in the Rivian, plug and charge did not work. I was able to initiate the charge with the Tesla app. Strange thing, even though I had to update the credit card in my Tesla Account (the one it had was expired) in order to start the charge, the receipt came from Rivian and no charges hit my card from Tesla.

IMG_9867.jpeg

Rate was not bad, pulling 179 kW at 59%

IMG_9866.jpeg
Is your hardware bad or just no signal there? If the R1 had wifi functionality, you could create a hotspot from your phone for the car to use while parked.

Everyone keep in mind that CCS cars could skip every spot and block out all the Teslas at a SC station too. Everyone just needs to be cool. Thousands of Teslas charge at CCS stations all the time. On average, someone is finished every five minutes so It's kind of like pulling up to a gas station with one pump and it becomes available every five minutes. There are still a few gas stations like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: VSG

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Is your hardware bad or just no signal there? If the R1 had wifi functionality, you could create a hotspot from your phone for the car to use while parked.

Everyone keep in mind that CCS cars could skip every spot and block out all the Teslas at a SC station too. Everyone just needs to be cool. Thousands of Teslas charge at CCS stations all the time. On average, someone is finished every five minutes so It's kind of like pulling up to a gas station with one pump and it becomes available every five minutes. There are still a few gas stations like that.
Hardware in the R1S is good, Rivian has been having issues with vehicle internet connection on many vehicles today, mine is one of them.

Connecting the truck to Wi-Fi works just for some reason it cannot see the SSID on my iPhone 14 Pro Max when I enable the hotspot, if I try to enter it manually it can’t connect. I opened another thread to see if anyone has been able to connect that phone to their Rivian.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I had no cell service either. Alexa was even more stupid than normal. It's either ATT or Rivian didn't pay their bill and we are about to get hit with that.

If you can force 2.4G hotspot it should use standard channels. Maybe that is the issue.

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

My parking etiquette at a Tesla supercharger is not to go. Tesla drivers have become the worst class of drivers I see on a daily basis. Definitely don't want them crashing into my R1S......

Having said that this big 'opening' of the Tesla network in NJ has shown there is basically nothing worthwhile getting excited about.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I had no cell service either. Alexa was even more stupid than normal. It's either ATT or Rivian didn't pay their bill and we are about to get hit with that.

If you can force 2.4G hotspot it should use standard channels. Maybe that is the issue.
Flipping the “Maximise Compatability“ uses 2.4 ghz, I had that set.

RivianMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S and 2012 BMW 528i
Occupation
Banking
Clubs

I haven't read this entire thread to see if anyone else has the same thoughts as me, but I may stick with EAs and RANs for a while to let the dust settle. If anything, maybe the non-Tesla charging centers will be a little less busy as Rivian and Ford owners flock to the Tesla SCs. I'll be taking our first lengthy multi-state road trip over the busy Memorial Day Weekend, so I'll be testing my theory out.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I'll try to use the supechargers if that's all that's available.
I haven't read this entire thread to see if anyone else has the same thoughts as me, but I may stick with EAs and RANs for a while to let the dust settle. If anything, maybe the non-Tesla charging centers will be a little less busy as Rivian and Ford owners flock to the Tesla SCs. I'll be taking our first lengthy multi-state road trip over the busy Memorial Day Weekend, so I'll be testing my theory out.
sounds like a good theory except that most will still not have adapters by then. So they will still probably use the CCS charging stations.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Flipping the “Maximise Compatability“ uses 2.4 ghz, I had that set.
Any special characters in the ssid? Try numbers and letters only

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Naturally, it's not going to be ideal in all situations. All we can ask is that EV owners use a little COMMON SENSE and show a little respect whenever it is at all possible.

Most of the time, Tesla superchargers are completely full, but they may be now. When you pull up, at least take a moment to be respectful and look to see if there is a charger located in a manner where you don't take up two spots or block another charger. There will be cases where it's simply not possible, but at least show the decency to at least look to see if there is an end charger or a way to park on the other side of the curb from a charger, etc, etc.

Someday, Tesla will probably start altering how they layout there new supercharger locations. But, until then, we can only do the best we can do. Just don't be ignorant and / or rude about it.

Naturally, Tesla owners are going to be upset that their exclusive charging network is no longer exclusive. Show a little compassion. If a Tesla driver complains, maybe don't argue with them. If the opportunity is there, maybe mention to them that you tried to find a better way to charge without blocking another charger, but there simply isn't an option to do so. At least they'll recognize that you tried.

Kindness will go a long way.

hayduke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone charged their Rivian at a V4 station yet? Is it really possible to park in the correct spot for the pedestal?
how do you know if it’s a v4? i charged at a new magic dock charger in phoenix in january and the spots were huge. i had no issue parking in the lines. sorry for bad photo.

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... IMG_7440

VermontR1T

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Will Tesla drivers also adjust their "etiquette" so they aren't parking in every other space like is often seen?
This is done on purpose so that 2 cars aren’t drawing off the same circuit. It’s advisable to space the cars out to achieve the fastest charge.
Sponsored