Sponsored

Master Thread: Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV)

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Just wanted to give some history of my order experienced.

12/31 - ordered running boards

1/16 - asked for an update and received 2 replies on the same day saying it will ship by end of month.

1/24 - received shipping notice and RBs scheduled to be delivered 1/30 by UPS

In my anecdotal experience, it appears they've caught up to the backlog, and the shipping estimates on the site are accurate.
Thanks for the report!
Sponsored

mackgriggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, r1t preorder, r1s preorder
Yikes.....well, my order was September 27th...and still have not received my R1s boards...sending them an email now...

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yikes.....well, my order was September 27th...and still have not received my R1s boards...sending them an email now...
Don’t forget to post a review, here, when you get them!

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

Received our R1S kit with the skid plate option a few days ago, just installed today.
Since it is 30 degrees out (unseasonably warm but still cold on fingers), I installed nut clips and tread plates with the welting mod in the workshop, then put them on the truck in a carport. On one side, the tread plate did not grab the welting at the front end so I had to slightly bend about 3" of plate edge down to get a good "pinch". FWIW, I used two large crescent Wrenches with cloth to protect the finish.
I previously watched the install video and took notes so things went rather quickly under the vehicle, just like it should. After the first side went on, I wanted to better close up the ends where trim panels were not replaced. We live off dirt roads so any openings collect sludge and grit like crazy.
I sorted out how to trim the panels and clip them back in place with stock fasteners. Here is what it looks like.
Front of passenger side:
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240202_132548

Rear of passenger side:
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240202_125200

This took an extra hour of trial and loosening the skid plate, but once I knew where to cut, I had the second side start to finish in about 45 minutes. I found it much easier to cut and then replace the panels before installing the running boards. Cut panels still use the clip rail plus tabs in the back and screws in the front so they tuck in nicely.
In use on gravel roads, I can hear rocks pinging off the plates but it isn't obnoxious. On paved roads, no noticeable change. Our 6 year old REALLY likes them because she can climb in without asking for help or smearing her jacket over the door sill. One ride in, I am very satisfied with the purchase and look forward to banging around forest roads and over snowbanks with confidence.
Chris

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

Received our R1S kit with the skid plate option a few days ago, just installed today.
Since it is 30 degrees out (unseasonably warm but still cold on fingers), I installed nut clips and tread plates with the welting mod in the workshop, then put them on the truck in a carport. On one side, the tread plate did not grab the welting at the front end so I had to slightly bend about 3" of plate edge down to get a good "pinch". FWIW, I used two large crescent Wrenches with cloth to protect the finish.
I previously watched the install video and took notes so things went rather quickly under the vehicle, just like it should. After the first side went on, I wanted to better close up the ends where trim panels were not replaced. We live off dirt roads so any openings collect sludge and grit like crazy.
I sorted out how to trim the panels and clip them back in place with stock fasteners. Here is what it looks like.
Front of passenger side:
20240202_132548.jpg

Rear of passenger side:
20240202_125200.jpg

This took an extra hour of trial and loosening the skid plate, but once I knew where to cut, I had the second side start to finish in about 45 minutes. I found it much easier to cut and then replace the panels before installing the running boards. Cut panels still use the clip rail plus tabs in the back and screws in the front so they tuck in nicely.
In use on gravel roads, I can hear rocks pinging off the plates but it isn't obnoxious. On paved roads, no noticeable change. Our 6 year old REALLY likes them because she can climb in without asking for help or smearing her jacket over the door sill. One ride in, I am very satisfied with the purchase and look forward to banging around forest roads and over snowbanks with confidence.
Chris
After reading more of this thread, if anyone wants a hand installing theirs and feels like visiting central Vermont, drop me a PM.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Front of passenger side:
20240202_132548.jpg

Rear of passenger side:
20240202_125200.jpg

Chris
Thanks for the writeup!

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Silly question but where's the marking for passenger and driver side on the running board frames? I saw on the website they should be marked on the bottom but I don't see anything.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Nevermind. Read more and saw they have different measurements and figured it out. In case others are confused too. Driver side bracket is 15" from the end cap while passenger side is 13" from end cap.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Installed on my truck and facing an odd issue. Driver side just barely rubs against the screw heads of the running board but passenger is good. Anyone else face this issue before?

I also did the welting mod. Color is more yellow than Rivian but I'm happy with it.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240203_141508

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240203_163512

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240203_141014

Sponsored

mackgriggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Front of passenger side:
20240202_132548.jpg

Rear of passenger side:
20240202_125200.jpg

Chris
Nice. I just received my R1s rock sliders today and just did the first step of bolting the plates on, then came in for lunch. Thought I should refresh the thread and see this awesome mod!

So...you cut the entire length of the plastic panel.....with I'm sure a lot of trial and error...but it looks really tight so you did a great job. Dremel or jigsaw?

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

Nice. I just received my R1s rock sliders today and just did the first step of bolting the plates on, then came in for lunch. Thought I should refresh the thread and see this awesome mod!

So...you cut the entire length of the plastic panel.....with I'm sure a lot of trial and error...but it looks really tight so you did a great job. Dremel or jigsaw?
Bandsaw and hand held jigsaw, then a file to smooth the edge. Here are a couple pics:

On the center panel, cut just inboard of this thin flange. The end pieces have the same thin flange to guide the cut that fits over the step.
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240206_161323

Here is a sketch of the front section cuts (driver side).
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240206_162157

I used the recessed hole for the 10mm bolt as a reference. Leave the outboard edge intact. Mirror L/R.
For the rear section, here is a template for the passenger side. The dimension on the left of this image is 4". Leave the outer edge intact and mirror the driver side.
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240202_140333

Here are more of finished look.
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240206_162217
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240206_162229

Last edited:

mackgriggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bandsaw and hand held jigsaw, then a file to smooth the edge. Here are a couple pics:

On the center panel, cut just inboard of this thin flange. The end pieces have the same thin flange to guide the cut that fits over the step.
20240206_161323.jpg

Here is a sketch of the front section cuts (driver side).
20240206_162157.jpg

I used the recessed hole for the 10mm bolt as a reference. Leave the outboard edge intact. Mirror L/R.
For the rear section, here is a template for the passenger side. The dimension on the left of this image is 4". Leave the outer edge intact and mirror the driver side.
20240202_140333.jpg

Here are more of finished look.
20240206_162217.jpg
20240206_162229.jpg
Thanks for posting the measurements. I went ahead and installed without the plastic since I'm mainly on pavement. I mean...from those last pics with all of the dirt making its way into the door sills, you are really on a dirt road! I usually find the Rivian much better at sealing dirt away from the door sills unlike our teslas, but you have some major dirt to get that level inside the seals.

Well, my install went fairly well...no real problems, and fairly straightforward. Still took 4 hours 45minutes in total, from starting to collects tools to boxes in the recycling bin. Got to play with some new toys I got for the install, like 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrench and a breaker bar. Used my pinball hydraulic lift too.

Took twice as long as when I put on rock sliders on an old 4runner, but those were 1 piece instead of 3 piece like the evsportline, and didn't have to remove plastic panels (just bolt off, bolt on).

No review yet since haven't used them, but the install instructions were really good. (both written and video). The rock slider versions have no adjustment, so they do clip a little bit of the puddle light but I don't really care about that.

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240206_194531

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240206_194541

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240206_194557

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240206_194601

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240206_194846

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) 20240206_202904

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Currently at Americas Tires getting my rear tire patched. The pucks at their location do not fit the holes on the EV Sportline sliders. The holes in the sliders are too small. Hopefully this isn’t an issue at the Rivian service center.

I can always drill out the hole. What size is the hole suppose to be?

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Currently at Americas Tires getting my rear tire patched. The pucks at their location do not fit the holes on the EV Sportline sliders. The holes in the sliders are too small. Hopefully this isn’t an issue at the Rivian service center.

I can always drill out the hole. What size is the hole suppose to be?
I suspect they were not using Rivian pucks. BYoP next time. No need to drill out your sliders!
@EV Sportline
Sponsored