Sponsored

Master Thread: Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV)

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Sorry if its been asked, but has anyone installed the boards w/o the plastic piece instead of cutting it? Has anyone figured out what that plastic piece actually functions as?!?! Is it for aerodynamics or protection? If it's neither, why didn't Rivian just eliminated it and save cost that way.
There are plenty of folks remove the plastic pieces. I really think it doesn't serve any functions to be honest. Personally, I just didn't want to remove it since I can cut the holes
Sponsored

Shorebreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Got mine about a week later than estimated, but shipping and delivery were good.

Used the 4" hole method. Fit great. Rock solid. Really like the look of them.

I read this thread after putting them on... To summarize the points made by folks here and my personal take on the benefits of these running boards:

1. Obviously helps my wife and kid get in and out - my wife loves them. We have this one point in our long driveway where it changes pitch and I always seem to park right there, where it's farthest to the ground. My wife tested it right at that part and said it was a game changer for her.

2. Saves me from having to use kneel mode. I'm not so concerned about putting the suspension through extra cycles, I just don't care to wait the few seconds for it to happen every time I park. I just leave it in standard all the time now.

3. Helps prevent door dings, especially at standard level or higher. They stick out just enough that when I tested it with a couple of car doors, the other car's door will make contact with the running board and not reach the door panel of the R1.

Here are my pics. Pretty much the same as everyone else, just didn't make the effort to clean up the truck or boards.
Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_2434

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_2435

Rivian R1T R1S Master Thread:  Review of the EV Sportline RMaxx Running Boards/Sliders (from Team 1EV) IMG_2436

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Got mine about a week later than estimated, but shipping and delivery were good.

Used the 4" hole method. Fit great. Rock solid. Really like the look of them.

I read this thread after putting them on... To summarize the points made by folks here and my personal take on the benefits of these running boards:

1. Obviously helps my wife and kid get in and out - my wife loves them. We have this one point in our long driveway where it changes pitch and I always seem to park right there, where it's farthest to the ground. My wife tested it right at that part and said it was a game changer for her.

2. Saves me from having to use kneel mode. I'm not so concerned about putting the suspension through extra cycles, I just don't care to wait the few seconds for it to happen every time I park. I just leave it in standard all the time now.

3. Helps prevent door dings, especially at standard level or higher. They stick out just enough that when I tested it with a couple of car doors, the other car's door will make contact with the running board and not reach the door panel of the R1.

Here are my pics. Pretty much the same as everyone else, just didn't make the effort to clean up the truck or boards.
IMG_2434.jpeg

IMG_2435.jpeg

IMG_2436.jpeg
But, but, you’re missing the welting mod!

Last edited:

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
By, but, you’re missing the welting mod!
I put in the transportation yellow welting mod and wife rejected it. Since it is her car, I have to remove it :(

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I put in the transportation yellow welting mod and wife rejected it. Since it is her car, I have to remove it :(
Booooooooo. :oops:

Sponsored

vigga

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Has anyone been concerned with modifying the panels?
Resale / trade-in?
These plastic pieces seem very cheap, potentially procurable in the future - I'm just nervous. However, first weekend trip with our R1S. We had running boards on our VW Atlas, and the family has asked (demanded) for them for the Rivian.

RivianPioneer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Lawyer
Has anyone been concerned with modifying the panels?
Resale / trade-in?
These plastic pieces seem very cheap, potentially procurable in the future - I'm just nervous. However, first weekend trip with our R1S. We had running boards on our VW Atlas, and the family has asked (demanded) for them for the Rivian.
I'm not so much worried about the trade in, more worried about what the running boards will do to impact the car ride or noise levels. There are a lot of helpful posts here from people who have done it, but the problem is some say they've had a great experience, others say that there might be a little more noise, some talk about perhaps a reduction in mileage (although those who do mention it say it's negligible so not really an issue). I will probably get them at some point, but I am waiting to hear from more people about their experiences before I do.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I'm not so much worried about the trade in, more worried about what the running boards will do to impact the car ride or noise levels. There are a lot of helpful posts here from people who have done it, but the problem is some say they've had a great experience, others say that there might be a little more noise, some talk about perhaps a reduction in mileage (although those who do mention it say it's negligible so not really an issue). I will probably get them at some point, but I am waiting to hear from more people about their experiences before I do.
Don't bother waiting. The noise and range impact people talk about are theoretical. I have had them for months and there is zero measurable impact on either factor.

vigga

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
All of that :)
I'm a stickler for cabin noise. I've seen rumors of OEM - but given I can't even buy a spare tire, I'm not hopeful.

I do have a brother in law that renovates cars as a hobby. This install is easy for him, so trying to make a call on optimizing for a visit at Christmas :)

RivianPioneer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Lawyer
All of that :)
I'm a stickler for cabin noise. I've seen rumors of OEM - but given I can't even buy a spare tire, I'm not hopeful.

I do have a brother in law that renovates cars as a hobby. This install is easy for him, so trying to make a call on optimizing for a visit at Christmas :)
Let me know how it goes. If I do decide to do it, I will probably have it installed rather than do it myself. The trick in NY is finding installers. I’ve found that there are a lot of companies that are skilled in and happy to do mods in some other states (e.g. CA), but there are far less of them downstate NY. A lot of installers don’t feel comfortable about working on EVs here. It’s been my experience through two Teslas over six or so years and now the Rivian.

Sponsored

vigga

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'd never do this without help - for my brother in law (who is a mechanical engineer by trade) this install is very simple. He has a garage, etc.

I live in Manhattan and have no idea on local assistance. I can ask the guy who did ceramic and PPF for me. Will PM you if he has any suggestions

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Any active coupons that can be applied to the running boards ?
It's currently on sale, plus a 10% discount coupon for Halloween.