Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

aren't people a little concerned that both Rivian and Tesla stated that any damage done. to the vehicle or the charger with a non-approved adapter would be the responsibility of the customer?
I'm more concerned about an EA charger frying my truck!
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I wouldn't wait. I just picked up my R1S today. Rivian delivery person told me that not everyone is getting an adapter, because "many will never need one." We're going to have to go to the Rivian website and request them manually.
My "reading between the lines" is that the free adapter from Rivian is going to be a very slow roll out.
March 2022 delivery here 🙋🏼‍♂️ so I'm assuming I'll be towards the front, and they're soliciting whether we even want one next week (yes please!). I think we're reading between very different lines...

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
aren't people a little concerned that both Rivian and Tesla stated that any damage done. to the vehicle or the charger with a non-approved adapter would be the responsibility of the customer?
No.

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)

for my own perusal needs there aren't enough Tesla v3/4 chargers that I could use anyway but I will just wait for the adapter to arrive, drop it in the frunk and use it when needed.
I think most are not worried.

Also as a separate note, remember that we can all use any Supercharger that is Magic Dock configured.

Sponsored

SwaziCAR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Office boy
Clubs

In late May we're headed south along the OR coast (plenty of RAN) to North Bend then in to Crater Lake and up and out to Painted Hills and Thomas Condon visitor center. That stretch from Coves Palisades - Painted Hills - Thomas Condon - Deschutes River Rec area on the Columbia is the only one that has me spooked, 264 raw miles. Other than Prineville for a top up (I hate adding charge to a pretty full battery) there are ZERO DCFC options anyway.
Side trip to (town of) John Day?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

for my own perusal needs there aren't enough Tesla v3/4 chargers that I could use anyway but I will just wait for the adapter to arrive, drop it in the frunk and use it when needed.
I’m not, all manufacturers warn against after market items for lots of things. I did the research, it is rated as a decent adapter in test, the A2Z company has decent products.

Everyone needs to do their own due diligence and decide for themselves if they are comfortable using the products. I would not shop for a cheap solution but am comfortable using a quality product from a good company that has been reviewed and tested.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I think most are not worried.

Also as a separate note, remember that we can all use any Supercharger that is Magic Dock configured.
That would be an approved adapter for what 2 dozen locations. I get it but personally I can wait not in a rush at all.

Last edited:

rryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Model Y
Side trip to (town of) John Day?
John Day is a blast from the past. Used to spend summers as a kid at grandparent's ranch 30 mi away in Dayville. Would love to visit again in my R1S.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I ordered an adapter last week as well. $160 is a rounding error for the cost of the vehicle. I'm 25xxx build so I'm not wanting to wait until next year for an adapter to use the flood of options this opens up. My Rivian gets plugged into all kinds of charging hardware that isn't made by Rivian or Tesla. This isn't any different but I have respect for the energy involved as a General Contractor having seen some stuff. If I get the adapter from Rivian quick, I can sell the A2Z one, or not. To each his own though.

Sponsored

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
I've been charging all week at various stations in my path. Solid experience. 83F is my highest reading, but it is fairly cool here still. No negative comments from Tesla owners yet. Actually a couple that commented that they were excited to see new faces. @A2ZEV
1711297401801-8r.png

1711297360212-sb.png

1711297383369-ik.png
Awesome News!
My Lectron Vortex has shipped & will arrive at my next motel later this week & I'll do my best to post a review as well. Since it's shaped just like this one I don't expect much difference. When I use a Magic Dock here in NY (and the only Magic Dock in PA, last month) I've never seen higher than 217kW. :cool:

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Nice! It’s all about the curve.

Next time run your battery down as low as you’re comfortably able (below 10%?) Then you’ll see some real quick charging. The fuller the battery the slower it packs in those electrons.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Yes, of course. By the time my A2Z arrives (1 month?) early adopters (with early adapters) will have posted their experiences on the internet. Any negative experience will likely go viral. I'll assess the risks after my A2Z arrives. Meanwhile, no harm no fire.

I was one of the first 6000 to reserve an R1 but at least the 50,000th delivery (T and S combined). When will my free RIvian adapter arrive?

Alieti

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I4, Rivian R1S
I’m surprised no one is mentioning getting 217 KW at 59% charge. That’s insane. It’s usually dropped to 160 at that SOC.
Sponsored