Sponsored

Montreal service center location is confirmed!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If they are hanging their hat on not being willing or capable of meeting the Quebec french language requirements, then the organization is in trouble. They appear to have a vision of expanding to Europe and other parts of the world. If they can't service the largest EV market in their neighbour, Canada, then they might want to get a little better prepared with their international initiative. While people unfamiliar with the legal requirements like to emphasize the difficulties, small and large organizations are routinely getting the job done and setting up successful Quebec businesses. There are service providers who make their living, guiding and assisting companies in complying with local laws. The cost of such service is not huge. The more likely case is that they are struggling to meet demand and will default to any excuse that allows them to follow the path of least resistance. They are simply doing what they see as in their interest, which is their right, and I'm afraid those of us who have waited for delivery in Quebec will have to accept that continued waiting is inevitable.
Rifish is hardly doomed without the Quebec market.
The Canadian market is seemingly secondary if not tertiary to Rivian. We’re a small market and spread out over a big area.

The US and EMEA are clearly higher priorities, and easier markets to be in.
Sponsored

Walter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 90D, Range Rover
Occupation
Retired
You have missed the essence of the recent discussion on this thread. Nobody is suggesting that Rivian is doomed if it does not enter the Quebec market. The manufacturer took deposits and received configuration data from customers and those customers, many of whom have waited 3-5 years are discussing concerns about the tardiness of news related to potential deliveries.
With respect to your suggestion that the US and EMEA are higher priorities and easier markets to enter, I'm not sure if you confused your acronyms, but the Middle East and especially Africa would not be considered as easy markets by automotive executives. I don't think Tesla has yet entered the African market.
Electric car markets currently tend to focus around urban areas. While Rivian is commendably trying to provide adventure seekers with alternatives, large population centres are likely to dominate for several more years. No manufacturer is obliged to spread its effort over a large area of small markets. Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are large markets by any North American standard. BC and especially QC hold great growth potential due to the prevalence of renewable hydro-electric power. Tesla's presence in those markets is solid and their commitment is real. It seems unlikely to me that Rivian will abandon the market.

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2022 Model S, 2018 Model 3 Performance
I agree. I’m currently vacationing in Florida. Always shocked by how few Teslas I see compared to Montreal here. There’s practically 4 Model 3s every street corner in MTL! And Tesla has opened now 4 service centers. I think any EV company looking for growth recognizes the large potential of EVs in Quebec because of the renewable energy side of things and consumer adoption that is for sure market leading.

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
Except they are all base model rwd model 3s the cheapest possible with a $13k rebate.

$150k trucks don't get a rebate and yes there is money in Montreal but the Rivian is so expensive now (non pre order) it's going to be tough going until they start dropping prices and offering incentives like they are in the US.

jimbones

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Design Operations, Microsoft
Clubs

Spoke to my MTL based mobile service tech. Deliveries expected to start in 4-6 weeks in MTL. The translation effort for all materials including contracts, manuals, website, in-vehicle UI, etc. was underestimated and is taking longer than expected. Note, you can't just google translate UI, as UI elements may need to be redesigned due to longer character and word lengths, etc. so manual translations or at least lots of translation reviews are required for UI. Be patient, it will happen.

Also, Rivian has already sourced a new location for the MTL service centre and will be relocating in the next year or two. This is due to the zoning and survey issues the current location experienced with their neighbours. See the earlier posts about the neighbour putting up the fence in Rivian's laneway (at least what Rivian thought was their laneway).

Sponsored

Walter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 90D, Range Rover
Occupation
Retired
The market for a 100K+ electric vehicle is no doubt a special sector, but it exists. I have been considering selling my R1S when it eventually arrives as I am beyond the waiting period for a new vehicle (3 years in my case). My search for an alternative has been interesting. The MB EQS, EQS SUV, EQE, EQE SUV and the BMW 5 and 7 series offerings as well as the XM are all in short supply with limited availability. Range Rover told me they could put me on their wait list for their electric alternative but the wait would be about 3 years. Rivian will hopefully get a handle on its supply issues and the R2 and 3 will likely be attractive alternatives in the mid market segment in a couple of years.
The recent discussion here has been somewhat focused on Quebec's abundant supply of renewable electricity at the cheapest rates in N. America and amongst the cheapest in the world. That will continue to be the case and even in the upper end the calculations generate results worthy of consideration.
My understanding is that the range of pricing for all trim levels of the R1S and T will be in the order of 112,000-150,000 $C

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Except they are all base model rwd model 3s the cheapest possible with a $13k rebate.

$150k trucks don't get a rebate and yes there is money in Montreal but the Rivian is so expensive now (non pre order) it's going to be tough going until they start dropping prices and offering incentives like they are in the US.
I don’t know. Sure see a lot of more expensive EVs as well in MTL. S, X, EQS, IX, Lightning, etc… I believe, and it’s just my unverified opinion, that penetration of EVs in QC is higher across all vehicle trim levels, cheaper and more expensive.

hroussel

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3 perf, (R1T DMP reserved)
My trade in offer was 41k for a 7 pax 2023 MY LR with wheel upgrade and only 13kkm. Way off even factoring the tax advantage. No accomodation sales possible.
I was wondering if you had looked for something like Carvana or Carmax in Canada.

In my search I had found two, Canada Drives and Clutch, but they don't operate in our province. Not sure why.

I was hoping to trade my M3P, but now that appears to be a major obstacle. One option would be to sell our old minivan and get the R1T, and keep the M3P. But a hundred grand is a lot of cash. Interest rates are not really interesting right now. Unless Rivian has some very tempting rates to sell models in inventory?

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I was wondering if you had looked for something like Carvana or Carmax in Canada.

In my search I had found two, Canada Drives and Clutch, but they don't operate in our province. Not sure why.

I was hoping to trade my M3P, but now that appears to be a major obstacle. One option would be to sell our old minivan and get the R1T, and keep the M3P. But a hundred grand is a lot of cash. Interest rates are not really interesting right now. Unless Rivian has some very tempting rates to sell models in inventory?
I hear you. Im taking a huge hit - I assume we will get nothin for incentives vs what americans get. If only they did accomodation sales... The buyer could even get the used EV subvention - lot of us with model Y didnt get the new car one when we got them...

MontrealEV

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Tiguan
Occupation
Product Manager
Also, Rivian has already sourced a new location for the MTL service centre and will be relocating in the next year or two. This is due to the zoning and survey issues the current location experienced with their neighbours. See the earlier posts about the neighbour putting up the fence in Rivian's laneway (at least what Rivian thought was their laneway).
Any idea where the new service centre will be?

Sponsored

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don’t know if you all got that email asking for language preference before May 20th? Just came in my Inbox.

OP
OP

Interger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for my Rivian!
Just got an email from Rivian asking for my language preference for my upcoming transaction, a process which should start in the coming weeks. They are asking for a response by May 20th so hopefully things are close for the SC opening….

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
New service center should have been built on the Ontario border would have solved a bunch of issues for them lol.

Glad to hear it's almost ready!
Sponsored