Moving on from R1S, thank you all for your help

Smeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (Quad Motor, Granite
Occupation
physician
Hi all, i'm a PPH reservation holder and took delivery of my R1S back in September. It's a solid and very capable truck but has a lot of little issues that bother me on a day to day basis, and that i think should not be present in an 80k-100k vehicle. I know a lot of this is just due to Rivian being a new automaker, but i can't help but be bothered by unfixable things like wind noise, steering wheel shake, general NVH, loud and inconsistent HVAC, etc. I am a car guy and love to love my vehicles. I just couldn't love this one because of all the minor issues it has. If i was more of an off-roader, or if the car was significantly less expensive i'm sure i could forgive its flaws. I want Rivian to succeed as a company. I am really rooting for RJ and the whole team.

This forum has been an absolute wealth of knowledge and i thoroughly appreciate all the help i've gotten here. I wish you all the best of luck with your trucks and your adventures! thank you!!
Sponsored

mzdds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Dentist
I daily think about doing the same thing but there is nothing out there for me that comes close. With all its minor issues, it’s still real fun to drive until I go over a speed bump. Once Lexus manufacturers an electric GX, I’ll be selling. It will be a few years though.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I struggle to get the point of these posts. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
Can't speak for the OP but it's a nice post thanking the forum and moving on. I get it. I love My R1 but am spending a lot more time at the gun range in the hopes it will damage my hearing enough to get past the wind noise that the SC keeps telling me is "normal." Cheers mate!

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I love My R1 but am spending a lot more time at the gun range in the hopes it will damage my hearing enough to get past the wind noise that the SC keeps telling me is "normal." Cheers mate!
Hearing damage may actually have an upside (yes, I know that was TIC). I recently went the other way...our R1S was in for a persistent screen blanking issue and I had a (new, 14 miles on the ODO) loaner. During that period I got my first set of hearing aids during that time...when I got my R1S back I thought "damn they added a buzz / rattle"...but turning them off...it went away. I think I'm going to keep my hearing aids on and play more music. :)

Mr. Ham

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CY R1S
Clubs

If i was more of an off-roader
More of an offroader? isn't the R1S just a step from Bronco or Wrangler in the "stock" offroad department?

I'm curious what you moved on to? When I picked up the R1S I was looking for something faster and and more offroady than my Subaru. A bronco Raptor Wrangler 392 are just as loud and more expensive. I think a G wagon would be perfect, but I could not afford it haha.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Can't speak for the OP but it's a nice post thanking the forum and moving on. I get it. I love My R1 but am spending a lot more time at the gun range in the hopes it will damage my hearing enough to get past the wind noise that the SC keeps telling me is "normal." Cheers mate!
On that front I finally bought digital earmuffs and I wonder why I hadnt done so years ago. They are a must for shooting.

Hearing damage may actually have an upside (yes, I know that was TIC). I recently went the other way...our R1S was in for a persistent screen blanking issue and I had a (new, 14 miles on the ODO) loaner. During that period I got my first set of hearing aids during that time...when I got my R1S back I thought "damn they added a buzz / rattle"...but turning them off...it went away. I think I'm going to keep my hearing aids on and play more music. :)
You'll have to take the hearing aids out if you want to make your hearing worse as any decent hearing aids are going to protect your hearing from further damage.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There are people that come to these forums to learn of other's experience with the vehicle. If the forum only contained posts from those who worship at the feet of RJ, it would not be a balanced view. Having people weigh in when the vehicles do not meet their needs makes it more valuable for anybody looking for real world information when trying to decide on a vehicle.

There. I explained it for you.
:cool:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
There are people that come to these forums to learn of other's experience with the vehicle. If the forum only contained posts from those who worship at the feet of RJ, it would not be a balanced view. Having people weigh in when the vehicles do not meet their needs makes it more valuable for anybody looking for real world information when trying to decide on a vehicle.

There. I explained it for you.
:cool:
No you didn't. As usual your post was useless and off topic.

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
My very early production R1T has had a good handful of issues since taking delivery almost 2 years ago. I will say that Rivian has addressed every single one of them without even batting an eyelash. Further, I can confidently say that my truck is better today than when I received it. I get all the nagging little things that some people just don't want to deal with, but I can't find anything I would want to drive more on a daily basis. I truly feel that as long as RJ captains this ship, that Rivian will only continue to innovate while producing more capable and reliable vehicles for a long time to come!

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My R1T certainly lacks the refinement I want.

The tock on acceleration changes makes it sound like a 80 year old mans who bones crack. Rivian won't fix it as they claim "All Rivians do this".

The suspension makes more noise than a 10 year old Toyota Tacoma. This isn't even counting the air suspension noises.

The motor whine at 40-50 is bothersome.

Despite the issues there isn't anything out there that fits my use case as well as the R1T.

I am thinking of augmenting it with an EV6, but my wallet says that's a fantasy. Haha

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S
I think this one was to sincerely express gratitude to the forum. I haven't experienced any of those with my vehicle, but there definitely are people that get better builds than others. If my vehicle experienced those items and I wasn't able to resolve, I would be thinking about moving on as well.

I think these type items were more prevalent in the lower number VINS, but I am thankful every day that I got a solidly built one.

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S
I daily think about doing the same thing but there is nothing out there for me that comes close. With all its minor issues, it’s still real fun to drive until I go over a speed bump. Once Lexus manufacturers an electric GX, I’ll be selling. It will be a few years though.
I highly doubt you'll see an all electric GX this decade given Toyota's reluctance to go into non-hybrid EV's. I wish though - that would be a sweet vehicle.

Edit - sounds like the hybrid GX isn't too far off though! https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-lexus-gx-platform-bev-electrified-future-plans/

Last edited:

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
More of an offroader? isn't the R1S just a step from Bronco or Wrangler in the "stock" offroad department?

I'm curious what you moved on to? When I picked up the R1S I was looking for something faster and and more offroady than my Subaru. A bronco Raptor Wrangler 392 are just as loud and more expensive. I think a G wagon would be perfect, but I could not afford it haha.
I was in Seaside Oregon last weekend and I saw a Bronco Lightning. Or at least a Bronco with Lighting labeling near the front.

It was parked and I was walking by, but I didn't have the foresight to check it out. To see exactly what it was because it doesn't look like the Bronco Lighting will be released until next year.

I'd definitely consider a Bronco EV if the range matched my needs.
Sponsored