Sponsored

SSpearsAU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 R1S
Gen 2, without hesitation!

Wow! I picked one up today, and I am only 50 miles in to ownership, but all I a say is that they have truly done. great job of improving almost all "gripes" people have about these vehicles.

I am not posting to hate on the Gen 1. It is still an incredible car. But as one would hope (and expect) , Rivian has taken feedback from the Rivian community and significantly improved their vehicles. I am not a previous owner of the Gen 1, but I have spent a lot of time driving and riding in them, so take this all with a grain of salt. Most noticeable to me:

1) Noise. It is a much quieter cabin than Gen 1.
2) Suspension. While I hope Gen 1 improves with the next update, the Guides on site confirmed it is still not what Gen 2 has to offer. It is a much better ride all around.
3) Cameras and other sensors. What can I say, it's much improved. The dash image now also shows cars behind you, not just the ones in front of you. Cameras are crystal clear.
4) Cooling. I am not sure if it is the heat pump or not, but even comparing it to the Gen 1 demo today, it is a much more efficient system. Still not very quiet, but it blows ice cold. I know this is subjective but very noticeable in my opinion.

As a side note, I think the new "base" stereo is still great! I am coming from a Tahoe with the Bose system, and this blows that out of the water. I am not an audiophile, but for those on the fence about upgrading stereo...that would be a no from me.

Mine is just the Dual Standard, so I can only imagine what the trip and quad bring to the equation. Long live Rivian!

Rivian R1T R1S My Gen 2 R1S delivered review & recommendation! - for those on fence about Gen 1 vs Gen 2 IMG_4543
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Congrats, great looking rig... Now go DCFC and record your charging curve :CWL:

Edit: Your GVWR and payload from drivers door would also be interesting.

Last edited:

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

Congrats!! Looks great.

Does it have the new software/UI already or are deliveries still being done with the old one?

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Looks great. Love white and the original 22" brights. The only thing I'd prefer is the tow hooks (also in bright finish) because I think it adds a little to the look of the front end and is also functional.

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

Nice!, what's your efficiency so far?

Sponsored

OP
OP

SSpearsAU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 R1S
Congrats!! Looks great.

Does it have the new software/UI already or are deliveries still being done with the old one?
They will not allow for pick up or delivery without the new OTA update installed. This is why I could not get the car last week. They did confirm I am the first Gen 2 out of the Orlando SC.

OP
OP

SSpearsAU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 R1S
Nice!, what's your efficiency so far?
We sat in the car running the AC for about 30 minutes getting all of the profiles set up, etc. before leaving. Have not paid much attention beyond seeing 5 miles run off the range.

I did find it interesting that the "Recommended" setting for the Standard is now 100%. I heard in a video it is still not recommended to always go to 100%, but accounting to the UI, it is.

Jumpjack

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Clubs

Hi and congrats, I'm looking at a DM myself (although Max. battery) from the shop so options are limited. So good to hear that you find the 'basic' sound system sufficient.
I've test driven a Gen.1 Quad but nothing else and I haven't heard much about how the DM (non Performance) drives so would love to hear how you find it vs. ICE cars. I understand of course that it will be the slowest R1 but with 500+hp equiv. and 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds I assume it's plenty powerful enough?
Thanks

cdub

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf 2011
Occupation
Editor
We sat in the car running the AC for about 30 minutes getting all of the profiles set up, etc. before leaving. Have not paid much attention beyond seeing 5 miles run off the range.

I did find it interesting that the "Recommended" setting for the Standard is now 100%. I heard in a video it is still not recommended to always go to 100%, but accounting to the UI, it is.
Maybe because it's iron?

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

Standard has LiFePO4 batteries, it's recommended to keep it 100%, this tech has been around for years so I wouldn't worry about that. I hear its good for 4000+ cycles!*

When you get more driving data let us know, I'm really curious about efficiencies of gen 2 platform.

*small correction

Sponsored

Hyfly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 - 2025 Rivian R1S
Just curious.
How long did it take for delivery from the time you went from:
'purchase opens in X amount of weeks' to when the purchase actually opened?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

My Gen 1 R1T is offended by the rhetoric in this thread.

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
My Gen 1 R1T is offended by the rhetoric in this thread.
Came here for this..

congrats though, OP!

does the Gen2 more “curvy” or is it just the angle of the picture? (Guessing it’s the latter)

Dataport

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Congrats! Were you able to hear the premium
audio to compare the 2? Have they made any improvements to the second row mechanism to get to the third row?
Sponsored