Sponsored

Powered Tonneau Retrofit Coming in Gear Shop for ALL R1Ts

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Well this certainly was news to me. If you’re one of the folks that took delivery without a powered tonneau for whatever reason, you’ll “soon” have the option to have one retrofitted to your vehicle. I believe the earlier stance from Rivian was that this would not be an option and the trucks didn’t have the necessary wiring to do it. Seems like they have some real confidence in their new powered tonneau design.

Should be good news for quite a few of you.

This is direct from Tony Caravano during yesterday’s AMA on Reddit:

Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau Retrofit Coming in Gear Shop for ALL R1Ts IMG_0002

Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau Retrofit Coming in Gear Shop for ALL R1Ts IMG_0003
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Tony still works at Rivian?

tjmsquared

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Macan
Any word on if they are going to replace ALL of the existing powered tonneau covers? I'm more concerned about the support article that seems to indicate they will only replace them if they are broken.

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Any word on if they are going to replace ALL of the existing powered tonneau covers? I'm more concerned about the support article that seems to indicate they will only replace them if they are broken.
Not really. He just stated that those with malfunctioning covers would be prioritized for replacements, which makes sense. No comments either way on whether those of us with functioning covers will have them replaced with the new design.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
If yours works with no problems why replace it? If you're babying it and it sounds horrible then keep using it, break it and get it replaced. I have a working cover that works great, I'd rather they not replace it so long as that remains the case.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
If yours works with no problems why replace it? If you're babying it and it sounds horrible then keep using it, break it and get it replaced. I have a working cover that works great, I'd rather they not replace it so long as that remains the case.
Maybe resale value? I know if I were buying a used one with little to no wattanty left, I certainly would want to know if it has the new design.

Or confidence it won't break on a cross country road trip? Like let's say I fill bed with 4 guys worth of expensive hunting gear...seems to generally work but also struggle at times and makes some noises, and then wham....slats all sideways....half the way across the country.....with all that hunting gear now exposed and 4 guys in the cabin?

Nice to just have them fix then all....since it is well known the originals were generally bad enough to pull from production for like a year for redesign.

tjmsquared

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Macan
I have been babying mine, but I'm not any longer. My concern is that it may work fine for the next three and a half years or so and then fail outside of my coverage window.

The bottom line is that I thought Rivian said that the current design is fundamentally flawed and that the new version would fix the issues. I'd rather have it replaced than have it fail sometime in the future when I may really need it to work.

The good news is it sounds like I can always get it fixed at the service center even if I have to eventually pay for it myself.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i think we've known for a little while now the PTC will be retrofittable to existing trucks but its good to hear it from corporate than just guides, CS and the website.

now the cost... if the manual is $1800. the PTC with installation? feels likes its going to be pushing $4k

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
I'm in the "donut hole" where I don't have the wiring. I would LOVE a (fully functioning) powered cover.
I don't care if I have to use the center console or the app to open it.

Guess I'll wait on a manual cover a while longer to see what Rivian offers.

Sponsored

punjabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

My Guide did send me message few days back asking if i would take delivery given that PTC can be install post sales now.
she didn't had any information about pricing. so i decided to wait until pricing is out or at least they have more concrete information if pre march reservation holder will get any price protection etc. for the interim, she did mention that Manual Cover will be provided free of cost.

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
My PTC still works but it sounds like it is ready to break apart every time I open/close it. When my R1T was delivered a little over a year ago I was already reading (on this forum) about the PTC issues and that was the first thing I checked. The cover did not quite open all the way and still doesn't. The delivery person told me to put a ticket in which I did on the spot, I wonder if I am on the list for a fix?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I'm in the "donut hole" where I don't have the wiring. I would LOVE a (fully functioning) powered cover.
I don't care if I have to use the center console or the app to open it.

Guess I'll wait on a manual cover a while longer to see what Rivian offers.
Same here. I'm still waiting on my manual tonneau due to the "redesigned" shipping boxes. Would like to have an automatic tonneau vs. the manual one but not willing to wait many months or a year. But if I can get one in less than 6 months I'd probably cancel my manual and order the auto.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have been babying mine, but I'm not any longer. My concern is that it may work fine for the next three and a half years or so and then fail outside of my coverage window.

The bottom line is that I thought Rivian said that the current design is fundamentally flawed and that the new version would fix the issues. I'd rather have it replaced than have it fail sometime in the future when I may really need it to work.

The good news is it sounds like I can always get it fixed at the service center even if I have to eventually pay for it myself.
I can let you know how to make it break itself if you're interested. You'll get in line sooner but you'll have a broken cover,.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
I got a photo in the new “mailbag”

maybe they will give me a cover for it ;)

Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau Retrofit Coming in Gear Shop for ALL R1Ts IMG_3379
Sponsored