alexm305

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Quad Motor
Hello Community,

I welcomed my Glacier White/ Forrest Edge R1S/ Quad / 22" black sport tires just before the holidays and thought now after 1k+ miles test driving in a few conditions, it was a good time to share some of my experiences and feedback for those waiting for theirs to come in.

Coming from a couple ICE SUV vehicles (2020 Lincoln Aviator and 2019 Ford Expedition XLT), I am one of those consumer that are transitioning to an EV for the first time, not to mention a new car company with a TON of online chatter as we all know. Here are some of my thoughts (good and not so good) and I hope some of this info helps some of you out there going through a similar process and decisons.

What I Love:
  • The Performance of this vehicle is overall extraordinary for an SUV of this size. Acceleration is smoother than anything I ever experienced, crazy fast, and the handling of this big boy is extremely impressive with an obvious lower feel of gravity due to that big battery sitting so low. This is coming from a Porsche 911 owner so I was very impressed overall here on how tight this vehicle felt on turns, acceleration, etc..
  • The fit and finish of this vehicle is definitely high quality, and it feels like that inside and out. It does not ooze the more chrome-detailed, luxury plush leather feel of the Lincoln, BMW or Mercedes' of the world, but still feels fresh, contemporary, and very sophisticated in its overall presence. I love the look and so does pretty much everyone who sees it.
  • The Forrest Edge interior is even better in person. It fits the vehicle perfectly with the Glacier White exterior in my opinion so I am very happy with the combo
  • The tech, screen and user interface quality is actually super nice and I understand there are more updates and refining coming to all the screens. Looks refined and they are using very high quality hardware and software without a doubt
  • The Air Suspension modes really gives you a ton of options and gives you true on road and off road capabilities unlike many other vehicles that are branded as such. Driving this last week on a dirt road for the first time in Off Road mode was so much fun and actually extremely comfortable. Living in Miami this is not a regular experience for me but glad I was able to do so with my kids.
  • Camp Mode was really cool especially as I slept in the vehicle with the feel of having my house AC on. Leveling worked perfectly, and I fit a Mega Mat Duo perfectly in the back. While other were sleeping in vehicles with their windows cracked open to sleep, me an my daughter were chillin:like:
  • This SUV is very quiet, especially under 75mph. I know that others may have a different perspective but wind noise has not been an issue for me at all. One thing that does create a bit of whistle are the crossbars at higher speed. As a reference, I am coming from a 2020 Lincoln Aviator Reserve which really was a great car overall in respect to finish, driving and overall features.
  • OTA Updates are truly a game changer for me and the fact that my vehicle's tech will be the latest, even if my model year is not, adds to the value of ownership for me. Also the fact that so many aspects of the trucks capabilities and features just keep getting better over time is something most brands can not say and/or be actually successful at.
  • Third row is working great for kids and dog, while still leaving a TON of space in the rear trunk for my sports gear
  • The online purchase process was pretty simple and straight forward, and was easy up until we ran into some delivery issues that through some curve balls at it. (more about that later)
What can be better:
  • The fact that a $100+k vehicle does not have automatic second and third rows folding seats is frustrating (edited lol) in my opinion. As someone who puts them up and down constantly, I miss full auto-fold access from the rear which should really be standard here. Big miss and It doesn't even have a strap to pull the third row back up, so you have to do so from the side doors or dive into your trunk. No bueno.
  • The Audio/Sound System is not up to par in my opinion for a $100k vehicle considering the amount of speakers it has and the decision to drop a known brand like Meridian. Regardless of Meridian being great or not (not the point), I feel the system needs to be better optimized and calibrated so that the quality of the audio and sound stages are as premium as the vehicle. I assume this can be worked via OTA updates but I miss the quality sound I had in my Lincoln, Audi, and other vehicles. They sounded better and more refined for sure.
  • The quality control of the vehicle prior to pick up/delivery can use some improvement. I found day of pick up (after almost three years of waiting) that my car's paint was damaged and they had to reissue a new VIN. After a few weeks, i got the new VIN, with a free upgrade which was cool of them, but catching bad paint or obvious aesthetic damage should have been caught much earlier in the process to avoid the hassles that followed.
  • Drive Quality varies depending on the road but it is actually very smooth on the highways for me using All Purpouse/ Soft / Auto. On certain streets, I get a bit more rattle on the steering column than Im used to but I know more suspension refining is on the way. This should get better over time.
  • Bluetooth performs differently for me depending on the APP. Volume and quality differs based on the source so they need to work on that a bit
  • The Infotainment System is missing usually standard apps (i.e Pandora, ) and basic hand free functionality such as text messaging. I know this and streaming services are coming soon but I do miss some of these features currently
  • Oversteer is more prominent on this SUV than say my Lincoln Aviator for sure. I also wish the steering had an option to stiffen up a bit so it was not as loose as it is. I like steering a bit tighter but expect that to be a potential option added down the road.
  • Camera quality could probably be higher def and I hear that too can/will be upgraded with OTA updates in the future.
  • Guide Communication stopped when I needed her most. After calling my service center directly, she helped me get another Guide to help me find the new VIN. Ultimately did good by me but I had to hunt them down more when things got hairy.
Another Tip: If you want to be on the safe side in case the sh$t hits the fan prior to delivery/pick up (as it did for me), I would recommend going with Rivian Financial, and then refinance down the road for a better rate. I say this because staying in their ecosystem saved me a HUGE hassle when it came to canceling my finance agreement, reapplying new VIN to new platforms, etc., which Rivian did for me 100%. If I would have gone with my Credit Union, the process of cancelling a just signed Finance Agreement would have not been fun. As for the Charging Network, find out who runs the chargers on your trip's route and have those apps pre downloaded, and ready to go. Having to learn on the fly and on site was not very fun (calling out Charge Point here), which is why I opted early to have a Rivian charger installed at my home. For the Charging APPS I did have ready to go, it was fairly straightforward with no wait on the Florida Turnpike chargers.

Extras Added on vehicle: Crossbars, 15% ceramic tint in front windows, 70% ceramic tint on front windshield, full ceramic coating, PPF on Front Panel /Lights

In summary, this truck is truly amazing and I would definitely recommend it as a fun family hauler, especially if its your first EV experience. So far, outside of some things that I know should get better and were expected, I am truly loving my RIS. Enjoy!

Rivian R1T R1S My New RIS Review (First 1k miles) IMG_5700

Rivian R1T R1S My New RIS Review (First 1k miles) IMG_5698
Sponsored

Last edited:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I have QM/GW/OC/22 Brights. Have had it for 6 months with 7.5k miles.

Since you bought the vehicle, the cons were not serious enough, even though you use words like "inexcusable" to describe some of the shortcomings.

I, too, find the steering lacks feedback and is too light. Also, I find you have to put the vehicle intentionally, into oversteering condition (just to be clear that we're talking about the same thing - oversteer is when the rear axle/drive overtakes the front axle/drive, often called fishtailing).

The traction control and the drive mode has to be set such that you can power your way into oversteer, or suddenly lift the accelerator pedal midst of a turn with the traction control off to get the vehicle into oversteer condition.

By all means it's not a perfect vehicle, from my perspective. (I know others will disagree). That said, it is a unique vehicle today. Highly capable 3 row eSUV with decent appointments. It's a very good effort by Rivian in their first gen vehicle. I knew that going in with eyes wide open.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Great first post! Just a quick comment - you can get Alexa to play Pandora, just say "Alexa, play 'such-and-such' on Pandora", and she'll play it. You'll get a little Pandora logo on your Rivian screen and a handful of on-screen controls. You'll want to turn this setting on in Pandora app:

Rivian R1T R1S My New RIS Review (First 1k miles) 1706808837035

Also i believe you also need the Alexa app, and Alexa turned on in your Rivian, of course. 😄

OP
OP
alexm305

alexm305

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Quad Motor

Since you bought the vehicle, the cons were not serious enough, even though you use words like "inexcusable" to describe some of the shortcomings.

I, too, find the steering lacks feedback and is too light. Also, I find you have to put the vehicle intentionally, into oversteering condition (just to be clear that we're talking about the same thing - oversteer is when the rear axle/drive overtakes the front axle/drive, often called fishtailing).

The traction control and the drive mode has to be set such that you can power your way into oversteer, or suddenly lift the accelerator pedal midst of a turn with the traction control off to get the vehicle into oversteer condition.

By all means it's not a perfect vehicle, from my perspective. (I know others will disagree). That said, it is a unique vehicle today. Highly capable 3 row eSUV with decent appointments. It's a very good effort by Rivian in their first gen vehicle. I knew that going in with eyes wide open.

[/QU

Hey @

Hey @mkg3, dont get me wrong this is a great first run and definitely enjoying it 100%. Misses are minor for sure. And yes Im obviously not happy about the lack of auto fold :) . As for oversteer, maybe I am not using the correct term, but basically the steering feel when you are making a sharp turn or u turn in either direction. Almost that the wheels are turning in too much if that makes sense. Either way, thanks for the details and excited to be enjoying my Rivian. Cheers

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I also just got my R1S, 2-3 weeks ago now (Jan 13th, and 700 miles now).

Not gonna lie, I almost canceled my R1S order for a a Lincoln Aviator Black Reserve.. So I get where you are coming from. Rivian is lacking in a lot of areas, not going to argue that point.

But where Lincoln lacks, Rivian has in spades... Primarily it doesnt have the EcoBoost (AKA EcoBust), and as you mentioned, the power, power delivery, smoothness.. Yea. Not getting into the ICE vs EV thing, cause they dont matter to me. Still getting used to the idea that its been 2-3 weeks since I put gas in it..... Oh yea.. It doesnt take gas.

It was a really close call for me.. Legacy OEM with a dealer near me, and other things..

But I have to admit, what played the final card for me... I am a gearhead, and that 835hp is just purely addicting. Having owned a McLaren, and drove many other exotics.

If we were to play Top Trumps on the 2, I have a feeling it would be a even game.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I also just got my R1S, 2-3 weeks ago now (Jan 13th, and 700 miles now).
But I have to admit, what played the final card for me... I am a gearhead, and that 835hp is just purely addicting. Having owned a McLaren, and drove many other exotics.
Might as well put in your order for replacement tires now then.
As a performance guy.. I guarantee you will not be able to control yourself if you're first up at a red light and Billy-Bob in his jacked Brodozer pulls up next to you or some smartass in a janky Civic gives you the stank eye 😁

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Might as well put in your order for replacement tires now then.
As a performance guy.. I guarantee you will not be able to control yourself if you're first up at a red light and Billy-Bob in his jacked Brodozer pulls up next to you or some smartass in a janky Civic gives you the stank eye 😁
Already looking at the Continentals and the Michelins..

Edit: I have a few times already.. I think they all gave up when they hadnt event cleared the intersection, and I am like 1/8 mile away! Then my wife had her girlfriend along for a outing on Sunday.. Friend had her nose buried in her phone too in the back seat. Sitting at a stop light, I told me wife to hold on, and hit the "track" icon. My wife said "jesus" under her breathe, and took a big gulp of air in... Did I mention that my wife hates WOT (wide open throttle) on the Rivian? Anyways.... Next thing I know I hear her girlfriend in the backseat screaming "warn a sister!"... NO! theres no fun in that! I used to think boost was addicting.. Boost aint got nothing on EV for a DD.

Last edited:

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
This made me laugh...Not long after we got our R1S, I was at a stop light next to a Maserati and the idiot driving it gunned it when the light turned green, only to be stuck at the next light in about 1/4 mile. He did this three times and I was about to show him that his car was a joke when I remembered that my wife was sitting next to me and that if I did something stupid the rest of the evening would be unpleasant...

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
This made me laugh...Not long after we got our R1S, I was at a stop light next to a Maserati and the idiot driving it gunned it when the light turned green, only to be stuck at the next light in about 1/4 mile. He did this three times and I was about to show him that his car was a joke when I remembered that my wife was sitting next to me and that if I did something stupid the rest of the evening would be unpleasant...
lol.. I got away with it one time with my wife in the truck because it was a roll-race from a very smooth two-lane entrance ramp on to a long straight stretch of open road and she had her head buried in her phone texting. When she did finally look up we were doing 110mph and she was not to amused even though I had a rather large shit-eating grin on my face after just having smoked a Model Y 😁
You'd think she'd be happy for me right?

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Already looking at the Continentals and the Michelins..

Edit: I have a few times already.. I think they all gave up when they hadnt event cleared the intersection, and I am like 1/8 mile away! Then my wife had her girlfriend along for a outing on Sunday.. Friend had her nose buried in her phone too in the back seat. Sitting at a stop light, I told me wife to hold on, and hit the "track" icon. My wife said "jesus" under her breathe, and took a big gulp of air in... Did I mention that my wife hates WOT (wide open throttle) on the Rivian? Anyways.... Next thing I know I hear her girlfriend in the backseat screaming "warn a sister!"... NO! theres no fun in that! I used to think boost was addicting.. Boost aint got nothing on EV for a DD.
Two things...
1) It's a shame Rivian capped the R1's at 113mph because they are still rock steady at that speed!

2) The unscheduled need for sudden, intense acceleration is the #1 reason I don't allow food or beverages in my Rivian. 0-60 in 3 sec and a cup of coffee don't mix 😭

Sponsored

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Two things...
1) It's a shame Rivian capped the R1's at 113mph because they are still rock steady at that speed!

2) The unscheduled need for sudden, intense acceleration is the #1 reason I don't allow food or beverages in my Rivian. 0-60 in 3 sec and a cup of coffee don't mix 😭
Trying to avoid the McDonalds'esque lawsuit?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

NorthVan57

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 nissan leaf, on wait list for R1S
Occupation
dentist
Clubs

Good review, I also find the stereo lacking, am in process of upgrading subwoofer to see how that helps, definitely does not match the other tech on this vehicle, recently got chance to drive it on very tight canyon road to ski hill and passed a few people, after a minute realized my heart was thumping with some serious adrenaline and my mouth was so dry, I have never had this experience in any of my other cars, still needs some suspension tuning as the sport mode is too harsh on the tight back roads with frost heaves and such, almost blew out a back disc when I hit a big dip in the ski hill road at 160 km/hr, was not fun! Three months into ownership and finally starting to take it a little easy on the throttle, my wife gets very annoyed if I even give it half throttle, so I’ve learned to go slow when she is with me.
Sponsored