fdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Plaid S, Model X, R1S PDMM
Occupation
SE
Clubs

Disclaimer: This is a brain dump and a bit of a long post. Again, no order, just things I have thought of since this very short ownership.

I say converted not because of ICE to EV but from Tesla to Rivian. I've owned every Tesla model and even 2 of the certain models, so I've got some experience in growth of these types of companies and products. If you are on the fence about Tesla to Rivian, let me assure you the product, while may have some differences, I truly prefer my R1S over any of the products I've owned. (More details as to why later).

I won't bore everyone with the details of all the vehicles I searched, but I was ultimately debating and waiting on the Cybertruck, timing took too long (foundation order), and I am really glad I made this choice! Below are just some differences that I noticed and want to share to possibly help others seal their decision in a Rivian as well.

None of this is in order

• Delivery Experience - this is where it all starts. The showrooms have really nice aesthetics, staff was very courteous. Even better was how knowledge able about the cars/products the staff was. I've been to other showrooms/service where the employees just missed details about their products that I felt they should know.
  • Space/Utility - For those who own or experienced one of these amazing vehicles, we already know, but I do not think this can be iterated enough. These cars have more pockets, storage areas, and place for things (water bottles, kids toys, camp gear, etc.). The first aid kit and compressor are so nice to have from a vehicle targeting for the more adventurous audience but can also work well for many aspects.
  • Build Quality - Not big on complaining about panel gaps at all but things like trim creaks, interior design, window alignment (squeaky). All of these things were so much better than any tesla I've owned. Even my latest 22' Model X is up there in terms of quality, but the design in the Rivian takes the cake for me.
  • Drive - ride quality is excellent. Maybe because it's new and tolerances are tighter, but it feels very smooth from the last ride. I do admit that at first some of the drive modes seem a bit cumbersome in comparison, but the flexibility of how you like to drive is really nice to have as well. The different drive modes are also able to indicate predicate range changes, which is a nice touch. Also, the new sounds of a compressor when changing the height are already muted from my memory after a few hours of ownership. Coming from a yoke back into a full steering wheel is not so bad, although I do prefer a yoke. A yoke wouldn't quite match the design language here, but this steering wheel is nice. The wheel is not so thick, has really nice heating elements, and with the proper adjustments you may be able to see 90% or better of the center screen.
  • Infotainment - this was a big one for me that I was nervous to give up. Sure there are some improvements that could be had in the UI but man it feels a bit snappier on the UI, the data for the maps when searching, the route planning even with all the charging data it has available. Small things like having the range in miles and percentage and not having to pick, or engaging Alexa without the touch of a button is a really nice touch. Being able to always see the map in the dash, efficiency, and tire pressure upfront. It will be really nice to see the progress they continue to make.

While not an exhaustive list, these were some significant points for me and my purchase, and maybe it may help to send someone else into a showroom or make a purchase from Rivian as well.

TLDR - Great car all around, liked better than Tesla, will be putting deposit down for at least 1 R2. Picked up a 24' DPMM R1S
Rivian R1T R1S New Converted Rivian Owner (Previously Owned Every Tesla Model) 1709437733151
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Welcome to the family :cool:

Rivian R1T R1S New Converted Rivian Owner (Previously Owned Every Tesla Model) 7.15.16-Awkward-Family-Photos3

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. It sounds like you have a great deal of EV experience to share.

Brian

OP
OP

fdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SE
Clubs

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. It sounds like you have a great deal of EV experience to share.

Brian

I like to think I do, at least from the different models I have owned/test drove as well. But I'm here to learn way more and connect with others

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

Congrats! Glad to hear about another positive experience coming from Tesla:

Sponsored

Rivgirl1

First Name
pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I’ve had similar experience and love everything about the R1S and organization. Everything was simplified from buying, to driving my first EV! Anything I needed an answer to was met immediately and with courteous informative feedback. I’m a more than satisfied Rivian owner!

OP
OP

fdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SE
Clubs

I’ve had similar experience and love everything about the R1S and organization. Everything was simplified from buying, to driving my first EV! Anything I needed an answer to was met immediately and with courteous informative feedback. I’m a more than satisfied Rivian owner!
That's awesome!

Timbuk2000

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Attorney
My R1S replaced a Tesla Model 3 and a 3/4 Ton Suburban with an 8.1 Liter V8. The Rivian covers the strong characteristics of both. I can’t wait to test the R2S.!

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
Glad you are enjoying the new R1S. We are going the opposite way as soon as guide gets back to me. Wife has the S and she feels the ride is harsher than in my T, daughter has driven both and agrees as do I. I run same tires, same air pressure, and same suspension settings and it is noticeable. Granted Colorado sucks in ridiculous taxes and registration fees, but only seems to invest in new toll roads, so main roads are almost as smooth as fire roads after a heavy rain.

We are trading her S on a new T and will keep it until she has a chance to see and drive an R2. Considered picking up an ICE vehicle, but we are quite please with how we have been treated by Rivian and want to show our continued support, unless they low ball the S on trade and then things may change.

OP
OP

fdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SE
Clubs

Glad you are enjoying the new R1S. We are going the opposite way as soon as guide gets back to me. Wife has the S and she feels the ride is harsher than in my T, daughter has driven both and agrees as do I. I run same tires, same air pressure, and same suspension settings and it is noticeable. Granted Colorado sucks in ridiculous taxes and registration fees, but only seems to invest in new toll roads, so main roads are almost as smooth as fire roads after a heavy rain.

We are trading her S on a new T and will keep it until she has a chance to see and drive an R2. Considered picking up an ICE vehicle, but we are quite please with how we have been treated by Rivian and want to show our continued support, unless they low ball the S on trade and then things may change.
I've read that about the ride being a bit more "luxury" but the T isn't my favorite of the two. I know I mentioned cybertruck, but as for pickups that would be the only one I'd consider for now.

I do like the shorter wheelbase of the R1S as it makes this 7 seater feel much small that that amount people/things that it can hold.

Nonetheless, congrats on the future endeavors and I'm sure we all are excited about the upcoming R2

Sponsored

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
I think it has more to do with the roads than the vehicles. When in Denver you are hard pressed to tell the difference in the ride, but larger cracks just feel different.
I think part of it is wife is short and she struggles to put stuff in the back of the SUV, but gear tunnel works great for her. She will never say that, and luckily she does not visit the forums or I would be in trouble. 😁

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Disclaimer: This is a brain dump and a bit of a long post. Again, no order, just things I have thought of since this very short ownership.

I say converted not because of ICE to EV but from Tesla to Rivian. I've owned every Tesla model and even 2 of the certain models, so I've got some experience in growth of these types of companies and products. If you are on the fence about Tesla to Rivian, let me assure you the product, while may have some differences, I truly prefer my R1S over any of the products I've owned. (More details as to why later).

I won't bore everyone with the details of all the vehicles I searched, but I was ultimately debating and waiting on the Cybertruck, timing took too long (foundation order), and I am really glad I made this choice! Below are just some differences that I noticed and want to share to possibly help others seal their decision in a Rivian as well.

None of this is in order

• Delivery Experience - this is where it all starts. The showrooms have really nice aesthetics, staff was very courteous. Even better was how knowledge able about the cars/products the staff was. I've been to other showrooms/service where the employees just missed details about their products that I felt they should know.
  • Space/Utility - For those who own or experienced one of these amazing vehicles, we already know, but I do not think this can be iterated enough. These cars have more pockets, storage areas, and place for things (water bottles, kids toys, camp gear, etc.). The first aid kit and compressor are so nice to have from a vehicle targeting for the more adventurous audience but can also work well for many aspects.
  • Build Quality - Not big on complaining about panel gaps at all but things like trim creaks, interior design, window alignment (squeaky). All of these things were so much better than any tesla I've owned. Even my latest 22' Model X is up there in terms of quality, but the design in the Rivian takes the cake for me.
  • Drive - ride quality is excellent. Maybe because it's new and tolerances are tighter, but it feels very smooth from the last ride. I do admit that at first some of the drive modes seem a bit cumbersome in comparison, but the flexibility of how you like to drive is really nice to have as well. The different drive modes are also able to indicate predicate range changes, which is a nice touch. Also, the new sounds of a compressor when changing the height are already muted from my memory after a few hours of ownership. Coming from a yoke back into a full steering wheel is not so bad, although I do prefer a yoke. A yoke wouldn't quite match the design language here, but this steering wheel is nice. The wheel is not so thick, has really nice heating elements, and with the proper adjustments you may be able to see 90% or better of the center screen.
  • Infotainment - this was a big one for me that I was nervous to give up. Sure there are some improvements that could be had in the UI but man it feels a bit snappier on the UI, the data for the maps when searching, the route planning even with all the charging data it has available. Small things like having the range in miles and percentage and not having to pick, or engaging Alexa without the touch of a button is a really nice touch. Being able to always see the map in the dash, efficiency, and tire pressure upfront. It will be really nice to see the progress they continue to make.

While not an exhaustive list, these were some significant points for me and my purchase, and maybe it may help to send someone else into a showroom or make a purchase from Rivian as well.

TLDR - Great car all around, liked better than Tesla, will be putting deposit down for at least 1 R2. Picked up a 24' DPMM R1S
1709437733151.png
Sweet and welcome. What was the original Tesla Roadster like?

OP
OP

fdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SE
Clubs

Sweet and welcome. What was the original Tesla Roadster like?
😂😂 Ya got me. I have not owned, nor experienced that one yet. I've always wanted the model s 40 though. Just because of how niche it is

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

The Roadster was an absolute blast. I had one as my daily driver for 7 years.

Sure, utility-wise it sucked. 3" screen, no DC charging, 2 seats, tiny trunk, maybe 220 miles of range under the current rating system. Almost no cabin storage, lousy stereo but it didn't matter because it was so noisy, rough ride, difficult ingress/egress, poor visibility, no steering assist, no phone app, no OTA updates, no driving assist, stiff seats with almost no adjustments. It had a ton of understeer (at least when pushed on a track; it was fine in everyday driving). The Performance versions of all other Teslas are quicker. There were no charging stations or service centers within 800 miles when I bought it. You had to pay cash in full before they would start building it, and everyone was predicting they were just about to go bankrupt. It cost more than an R1S dual Performance Max Pack with color and wheel upgrades. Heck, it cost more than my first house.

But, man. While we loved our other Teslas (2 each of Model S, X and 3; and 1 Model Y) the Roadster was a class of fun all its own. The other cars fade into the background while driving, but you could never forget that you were cocooned inside the Roadster. Your butt was only a few inches off the ground, and with the top off you felt very connected to the driving experience. The road feel through the steering wheel was incredible. The full-regen-to-full-acceleration switch was dizzying. The pod-racer noise it made while accelerating was awesome. Blasting it up to Yosemite's Glacier Point late on an October day with nobody else around is the most fun I have ever had in a car. And hey - it was really efficient!

It wasn't a very practical choice, but it was amazing to drive. I wish I could have kept it (especially now with resale values where they are!), but I needed a bigger car to drive my mobility-limited mother around and didn't have a place to store it, so I sold it in 2016.

My R1S is almost the polar opposite. Chock full o' utility, but it's too big to be real fun to toss in to corners, and I feel a lot more isolated when driving. The R1S is great for my current needs - towing, hauling grandkids, moving recently, combined dump/recycle runs with my son, etc - and don't get me wrong, it is really nice to drive. I love the R1S. But I don't take it out for drives like I used to do with the Roadster.

Last edited:

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
New poster, and they have all of this praise for Rivian all of a sudden? Where have they been the past five years? Must be a long-buyer trying to manipulate Rivian stock!

/s
Sponsored