Sponsored

Need Advice on getting quad vs. dual

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
no lockers with either option. SAD!
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

wolfsbane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Yukon Denali, Canyon SLT
well damn. I am finally scheduled to pick up my dual-performance r1t at the SC in a couple of weeks and now I have some serious FOMO about the quad after reading this thread. ...which I already had some FOMO before re: yellow calipers!

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Rivian R1S
I've owned a QM for the past year, sold it and leased a DM that I picked up last week. The most noticeable difference to me is the motor noise. I'm not sure if I have a faulty unit but the noise while driving between 30-50mph is significantly louder on the DM. Whereas the QM sounds like a quiet jet taking off, the DM motors make a grinding noise that reminds me of the sound my 6mo old puppy makes when he's angry. I've submitted a service request but others on the forum have reported the same.

Edit: Added video for reference.

Edit 2: I should say that the build quality of the DM far surpasses the early 2023 QM that I had. The only cosmetic issue is a piece of seat upholstery that wasn't properly stitched to the frame. They said a mobile service appointment should resolve that.

Last edited:

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Your experience with the loaner is interesting. We just traded our quad R1T (’22) for a dual R1S (built 1/25/24). I find the motor noise to be less than our quad (which wasn’t super loud anyway) and haven’t had any issues the acceleration/regen transition. The one big thing I notice is acceleration seems much more gradual - especially @ speeds over 40mph. It isn’t a huge issue but I didn’t expect it to be that different since I tend not to accelerate that aggressively anyway. Perhaps I just got a “good” one.
Any idea if "sport" mode changes that behavior of throttle response and acceleration?

Sponsored

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
Your experience with the loaner is interesting. We just traded our quad R1T (’22) for a dual R1S (built 1/25/24). I find the motor noise to be less than our quad (which wasn’t super loud anyway) and haven’t had any issues the acceleration/regen transition. The one big thing I notice is acceleration seems much more gradual - especially @ speeds over 40mph. It isn’t a huge issue but I didn’t expect it to be that different since I tend not to accelerate that aggressively anyway. Perhaps I just got a “good” one.
Yeah maybe this varies by individual vehicle. Looks like a couple folks on this thread have not experienced this noise but a couple others have.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Two things I've never regretted in a vehicle purchase:
- opting for a longer factory warranty - helps with peace of mind and resale if nothing else
- more power

Frankly, if the Hummer EV SUV had a longer factory warranty than 3 years I may already have one. WTF is that? 3 years for a vehicle where they've struggled with production, battery pack engineering AND software integration? Not nearly enough.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Not this guy again.....

But seriously, I will follow you down a forum rabbit hole any day.
Yep. "This guy" again.

"This guy", that has spent thousands of hours in both flavors of the vehicles (along with every other EV on the market) putting them through thier paces in some of the most challenging conditions you can take a vehicle across.
Rivian R1T R1S Need Advice on getting quad vs. dual PXL_20240221_202849165

"This guy", that has put tens of thousands of miles on both the QM and the DM from the deserts of mexico to the Kalmiopsis wilderness to the Sierras to the Siskiyous.
Rivian R1T R1S Need Advice on getting quad vs. dual PXL_20231118_170857361

"This guy", that designed EV components that all manufactures are still using, including Rivian.

"This guy", again. Yep. Thanks for the call out.
:cool:

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Yep. "This guy" again.

"This guy", that has spent thousands of hours in both flavors of the vehicles (along with every other EV on the market) putting them through thier paces in some of the most challenging conditions you can take a vehicle across.
PXL_20240221_202849165.jpg

"This guy", that has put tens of thousands of miles on both the QM and the DM from the deserts of mexico to the Kalmiopsis wilderness to the Sierras to the Siskiyous.
PXL_20231118_170857361.jpg

"This guy", that designed EV components that all manufactures are still using, including Rivian.

"This guy", again. Yep. Thanks for the call out.
:cool:
Hey "This Guy", you are the reason I switched to dual so keep being "That Guy".