Sponsored

booslim45

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The poles right at the entry way/front rain fly are a no go. They will obstruct entry,. I wonder why they didn't do the single bar front awning poles like roofnest?

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

The poles right at the entry way/front rain fly are a no go. They will obstruct entry,. I wonder why they didn't do the single bar front awning poles like roofnest?
I had the same poles on my Skycamp 3.0, and never had an issue with them obstructing entry at all.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I had the same poles on my Skycamp 3.0, and never had an issue with them obstructing entry at all.
Agreed but there's a disappointing lack of innovation from iKamper with the DLX. I love my Skycamp but there's nothing here that would get me to upgrade. A cork floor and a usb light can be easily added to any Skycamp with minimal effort and the inflatable mattress has been on sale for a while. iKamper products (IMHO) are generally worth the premium because of their exceptional customer support and how well their stuff holds resale value but they can't skate on old designs forever. Improving the process for setting up the awning is an obvious place for improvement. They don't obstruct but they're another setup step that could be eliminated with a new design like the new Roofnest fold out tent. An all aluminum Skycamp would also be welcome addition.

booslim45

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Agreed but there's a disappointing lack of innovation from iKamper with the DLX. I love my Skycamp but there's nothing here that would get me to upgrade. A cork floor and a usb light can be easily added to any Skycamp with minimal effort and the inflatable mattress has been on sale for a while. iKamper products (IMHO) are generally worth the premium because of their exceptional customer support and how well their stuff holds resale value but they can't skate on old designs forever. Improving the process for setting up the awning is an obvious place for improvement. They don't obstruct but they're another setup step that could be eliminated with a new design like the new Roofnest fold out tent. An all aluminum Skycamp would also be welcome addition.
I agree with everyone you said. Seems like they are now just riding on their “premium name”. Smart shopper won’t upgrade.

Last edited:

Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Does anyone have experience mounting these over the bed of an R1T? Or does it need to be mounted rooftop? I've seen a few R1Ts with the iKamper Mini 3.0, but I would like to go for the full size, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Stupid expensive for what it is. The "off-brand" tents often have a lot of the same features for half the cost. What I want to know is what's up with the accessory on the ladder that allowed the dog to walk up on its own?!?

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Stupid expensive for what it is. The "off-brand" tents often have a lot of the same features for half the cost. What I want to know is what's up with the accessory on the ladder that allowed the dog to walk up on its own?!?
Out of curiosity, what brands do you recommend?

I verily like the 1-blackout nature, 2-insulation-ability and 3- the ability to add the annex. I'm also impressed with how quickly it sets up. But I'm VERY new to this scene. I've compared a few other brands, but didn't like what I saw (a lot of cost compromise). But clearly, I haven't evaluated everything and I would VERY much not like to pay a premium on these (though the military discount helps a tad...)

OP
OP
jplblue

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

https://ikamper.com/products/hc-steps

Kind of cool, but we're OK carrying up our pup.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Does anyone have experience mounting these over the bed of an R1T? Or does it need to be mounted rooftop? I've seen a few R1Ts with the iKamper Mini 3.0, but I would like to go for the full size, if possible.

Thanks in advance!
There are several examples on this forum, and on Reddit. You mount the full-size SkyCamp over the bed and need to clear the shark fin over the cab, so a tall bed rack, or cab-height bed rack with tent risers, is required.

Sponsored

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
OP
OP
jplblue

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

I recommend the HC steps... it turns your ladder into "stairs". Regardless of whether you use it for pets, it makes navigating the ladder much easier in stocking feet - especially in the dark. YMMV.
Does it make the tent harder to close? We keep all our bedding/pillows in the tent, and that makes it hard to close at times (but generally manageable). I'd be interested in the HC step if don't have to remove/attach it every time I set up the tent.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Does it make the tent harder to close? We keep all our bedding/pillows in the tent, and that makes it hard to close at times (but generally manageable). I'd be interested in the HC step if don't have to remove/attach it every time I set up the tent.
You can collapse the ladder and close the RTT without removing the HC steps. You have to reverse fold them towards the front edge of the ladder when you fold it up, but it's easy. I agree that if you had to install/remove them each time, it would not be worth the effort.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

There are several examples on this forum, and on Reddit. You mount the full-size SkyCamp over the bed and need to clear the shark fin over the cab, so a tall bed rack, or cab-height bed rack with tent risers, is required.
Not trying to call you out, but your assertion that there are 'several examples on this forum,' doesn't seem to pass muster. I've literally been looking, and unless using Google to search "iKamper" and sorting through the results (only to find they're all iKamper Mini versions) is entirely insufficient, I'm not as talented as you are with the 'search' function. So, would you please provide some links/examples?

...Hence why I asked...

The closest I'd found was another individual asking a similar question back in 2022: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/ikamper-skycamp-3-0.6947/

Where his question wasn't answered either, excepting with the same conjecture that it likely won't fit--and to your point: would require some type of rack system. And a bunch of individuals expressing their success with the mini versions...

Which is fine. If I'm SOL, I'm SOL. I was just hoping for more tangible answers (first-hand experience or expertise).

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
@R1Thor . I have a full size skycamper on my R1T. I have an Xtrusion Overland rack that works perfect for it. Any questions just let me know.
Sponsored