First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
My Rivian (R1T) is amazing. Scratch that, it is f#$@ing amazing. I think the plan is to keep producing amazing vehicles that people love.
I'm not saying that Rivians are perfect, but they may seem so when compared to other trucks based on my use/desires.
One bright light in all this dark talk of doom and gloom. My R1T is simply amazing , maybe I got lucky and got the golden goose and problems may and will come up, but they will be dealt with accordingly. I positively believe Rivian will outlast me after Iā€™m long gone.. In our house hold my roommate has been waiting since last year just for an ā€œinviteā€ on the R1S . He knows heā€™s playing the ā€œlottery waiting gameā€ and heā€™s fine with that. We believe in the product and the process . Just saying ā€¦
Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Same thing happened with Tesla but they didnā€™t have a huge drop in orders when they almost went bankrupt.
They also launched the Model 3 to huge success and the Model Y has become a runaway hit.

Rivian so far has pretty much followed Tesla's game plan as close as anyone could. Actually to a fault where they're repeating many, actually most, of the same mistakes. Rivian is off to a great start... But to survive long-term at the rate they're expanding, they need a mass market vehicle or two. They need their Model 3 moment. This is where the factory in Georgia comes in and the upcoming R2 platform that is still shrouded in secrecy. In addition to this, their delivery van program is doing well and starting to expand beyond Amazon.

rlawsoncrew

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Farmer
That's a good possibility.
An example to remember though is, let's say, Studebaker. Probably one of the most advanced cars on the market at the time. They could not manufacture and sell at competitive prices. And of course some of their cars did survive with one of what was the "Big Four" at the time. Later winnowed down to the "Big Three." We'll see. I hope your right. I will go back to a conclusion that I came to a long time ago on this company. I have never seen a non-monopoly treat customers as poorly as this company did for the last 3 years and survive. I hope they do, but I doubt they will.

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

OP has a legitimate question for those on the fence. I'm in the same straddle position. The options and vehicle has changed so much. I'm sure the fanbois will be irritated because they won't accept anything negative but in the end to each his own on what to do with their hard earned cash. I even have a service center just a few miles up the street. But I'm not going to put up with some of the issues I've seen some owners post. And it sounds like a crap shoot if you have a windy noise window, bad alignment, steering and suspension issues. The plus side is that my early slot will mean someone moves up the chain if I pull out so don't hate on me as well. I prefer to hear the good and bad, CNN and FOX and make my own decision. My rant is that a lot of forums turn into cheer leading with "Don't you dare throw shade on my car/company". I say let the chips fall where they may, believe your eyes not the dogma of the cult. Best of luck to the company. Ignore if you like and say good riddance. I'll probably be gone soon anyways. I don't know. Sorry to be dark.
I support and agree with you.

rlawsoncrew

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Farmer
Thatā€™s not the point. The point is they have a year backlog of sold cars which makes them more protected in an economic downturn over the next 12 months.
Pre-orders are not "sold cars". A lot of people have been fulfilling their pre-orders and even later orders to arbitrage there pre-order (or just the new price) with the market price. If you noticed that margin has shrunk pretty dramatically, but we'll see. You may right. The main problem is that they are still loosing money on each car/truck. At $14 the market is clearly concerned. Understanding that the Market is just one indicator, but it is an indicator. That puts them at roughly cash value. That's not good. But I haven't followed it closely. It may have changed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kevlar

Kevlar

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Management
Nice FT article - https://www.ft.com/content/ff4002a9-57a3-448c-af49-f665f38340ae

- Rivian's CFO expects the company to earn a gross profit in 2023...enough cash to maintain operations through the end of 2025
- Rivian has become a key player in the economy of Normal, Illinois
- Market capitalization has dropped from $162bn to $12.5bn, yikes!
- Targets to produce 50,000 vehicles in 2023
- plenty of shortfalls in Rivian's ability to meet expectations while the market sees increasing competition

I was thinking about why I don't have my pre-ordered Rivian and it's because so many changes were made that the product is no longer what I wanted when i engaged the pre-order (may 2019). I can't be alone in how I feel.

What's the plan here? Ive been a fan for so long but this is just isn't feeling recession proof (as a product or as an investment). It's hard to say when enough is enough; macro or micro indicators have all been pointing in the direction of parting ways.

Are others just riding this out (to what ever exit becomes available)?
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/rivian-to-lay-off-10-percent-of-staff

Rivian is laying off 10% of salaried staff. Seems like a bold move for such an innovative company. I don't think this BT post from last year has any merit at all.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Apple is DOOMED! Apple is DOOMED! Apple is DOOMED!

Oh, wait....

Rivian is DOOMED! Rivian is DOOMED! Rivian is DOOMED!
Sponsored