Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Updating

Rivian R1T R1S OTA 2023.50.01 Software is Out! (w/ departure & preconditioning scheduling)! IMG_1394
Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
G
Installed yesterday. It was nice and toasty in the car when I left home today thanks to the preconditioning schedule!. I did notice though that the volume on my audio system is off. I had to crank it up to volume 18 when I’m typically at 10. Anyone else experiencing this?
I feel like generally after an OTA is installed or a reboot, some settings like last volume level get reset. I would be curious to see if it remembers after the next sleep cycle.

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
Not true. Mine pre-conditions the batt on .46 when the climate control is activated prior leaving when ambient temps are low. I have watched it happen.
I find it takes over an hour to get the battery from 35 degrees to over 55 degrees through charging. Kind of sceptical that turning on heat will substantially warm the battery before departure?

andyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I used to get 3-4% vampire drain a day. Downloaded the update last night and 12 hours later there has been no drain at all. It seems too good to be true, not even 1 mile drain. Feels like a display bug. I'll have to test again resetting the trip odometer and checking the kwh used.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I find it takes over an hour to get the battery from 35 degrees to over 55 degrees through charging. Kind of sceptical that turning on heat will substantially warm the battery before departure?
It's not doing it through charging, it uses the motors to generate heat and it's quite effective. Still on 2023.46 I noticed the motors were orange on the gauge display when I went to leave the other day and I didn't get the snowflake...battery temps were higher than the garage temp, etc. With 2023.50 we can just schedule it now.

Proximity off, bluetooth on. If this remains consistent, they found the formula.
WTF? Even with proximity off my truck still continues to wake and sleep hundreds of times a day even on 2023.50. It started with the update they tweaked PaaK for and I have dogshit for vampire drain because of it.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Just proof that there really isn’t much rhyme or reason to the sequence for rolling out the updates. I have an R1T and I think I took delivery before you (last April).

Im more than happy waiting my turn.. although I did plug it into the wall charger just now to give it some confidence. Or maybe I should just come park in proximity to yours to shake the update loose. 🤣
I don’t have inside information, but best practice when rolling out updates like this is to do it randomly. This allows you to statistically treat it like an experiment and determine the likelihood that those problems were caused by the update or just randomly happened at the time of the update.
of course there will be internal vehicles that are updated first and employee ones before general public. And the size and speed of the rollout will depend on a variety of factors.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
Proximity off, bluetooth on. If this remains consistent, they found the formula.

Yeah, but how does PAAK work? I feel like for them to get the drain down, they have to cripple paak functionality .

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Couple observations. I also noticed the volume level seems to be lower for a given number for some reason. I normally listen at 12 or 15 and had to go to 18 today to get reasonable volume.

Did anyone else think that the steering feels weird after the update?? I just drove it yesterday on 2023.46 and this morning on 2023.50 I could swear the on-center feel at both low and high speed is just...off. Like they're overly boosting the power steering or something, but it makes the truck feel like a marshmallow compared with before.

I'm a little concerned about Rivian's language around the battery conditioning while plugged in. Will be curious to see what folks find over time, but if I'm going to leave the truck sit for a few days I'm definitely going to leave it plugged in and would *not* want it to constantly be keeping the battery warm when I know I'm not going to be driving it. If that's how it is going to work then I'd hope to see a toggle switch somewhere because there's no reason we shouldn't be able to leave the truck plugged in without wasting electricity, especially when vampire drain is still so bad.

As for the scheduled stuff for climate...that's great and seemed to work well this morning. But it really should be a scheduled departure sort of mode, not restricted to climate control. In my MINI, it would precondition the cabin, but it would also optimize charging time. It would start charging such that it would reach its target about 30 min before the departure time. What that would do is take advantage of all the heat generated from charging that would happen anyway and push that closer to departure time without needing to separately run the motors to heat the battery.

Sponsored

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan
Yeah, but how does PAAK work? I feel like for them to get the drain down, they have to cripple paak functionality .
PaaK works just like normal, as does everything else on the truck. Just back from running some errands.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Couple observations. I also noticed the volume level seems to be lower for a given number for some reason. I normally listen at 12 or 15 and had to go to 18 today to get reasonable volume.
Do you use the adaptive volume when driving? Try turning it off, saving and returning, then going back to it and turning it on again.

I've had to do this with a few settings after updates, they result to default despite showing my choice. Adaptive volume, seat and mirror settings, auto ride height, and the most annoying - map view position.

I'm normally a 2D North Up kind of person, and it KEEPS changing to 3D front-up aspect. It's very annoying to change this DAILY and hoping this update fixes it.

RivianMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S and 2012 BMW 528i
Occupation
Banking
Clubs

I did a PDF compare of the R1T owner's guide from before and after this update, and here are my findings.

• (Note: this was not super straightforward because there was some reorganization of the owner's guide. For instance, there is a new accessories chapter that pulled smaller sections from lots of other chapters. This reordering made it harder to check for differences purely using an automated tool. I'm sure I missed some other changes, so don't take this list as a complete list of key updates by any means.)
  • There are new diagrams of front, rear, side and bed lighting, along with legend tables, on pages 16-20.
  • For the Kneel section, they removed "except when towing a trailer". I wonder if that means the truck kneels when parked even when towing?
  • New section on Climate Schedule on page 79
  • A pretty minor comment about regenerative braking assist on page 99. There is surprisingly little explained about this new feature throughout the owner's guide, other than the deceleration rate on the bottom of the driver's display shows the combined effect of regenerative braking and supplemental braking if assist is enabled, and that it is less likely that regenerative braking will be limited if you have assist enabled. Interestingly, I always though that the power guage shown on the driver's display was showing battery usage or charging, but according to the owner's guide it is actually showing vehicle acceleration and deceleration (which are highly correlated quantities sure, but still different). I think it's a little misleading to call it a "Power Guage" then, or maybe I'm reading too much into it...
  • Page 107 contains info on the new Auto wiper mode levels
  • Added some details to a note on page 149 on why ACC or Highway Assist may disengage, including blur or glare to the front camera. Also a note on chassis, suspension or tire modifications.
  • Added a warning on pg 191 to not store consumables in the spare tire compartment, including bottled water. (Hasn't Rivian shown pictures of people using this compartment in the R1T for tailgating ;-)?)
  • On page 285 they added a couple of notes explaining that not all vehicles will have a second 12V battery. Is that something they are moving away from?
Thanks! This was very helpful.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I was thinking this was happening as well. But it would pull from battery instead of shore power.
Yes, it pulls through the battery, because that simple fact helps to warm it. But the charger also kicks on to replenish, again adding to the current and warming the battery.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If the battery is below a target temperature, the vehicle will use the windings in the motors as heating coils to heat the cooling fluid that goes through the battery, greatly assisting in bringing the temperature up. You can watch this feature in the very cold by checking your motor temperature prior to leaving. If you have preconditioned, they will often be quite hot, even though the motors have not spun yet.

The DM does this more effectively than the QM, but both will do it.
Sponsored