Sponsored

Out of Spec Kyle's 4,500 mile Cybertruck review. Gives verdict vs his Rivian R1T

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
Because the rack systems for the CT use the itty bitty roof section plus the area above the tonneau cover for any gear.
Sponsored

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
I wholeheartedly agree. Kyle has been a valuable resource for me personally. I have learned so much from him about EV's. We love our dear Opal (our R1T) but there are a lot of other good EV's out there that we are learning about. We have had Opal for almost a year. This our maiden voyage into EVing, and we want to learn about everything out there. Kyle has made us aware of many things that we would not have known otherwise.

Brian
I totally agree! However, Kyle can go way overboard on things and drag it out abnormally long

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

His overall summary is at about 35:45.

To me, the CT is lacking in style. Yes, it is cool looking (if you like the triangle shape). He even said something to the effect of "it's useless as a truck" (can't remember the exact quote).

He did like it for sure and he raved about the drive-by-wire. I am old school when it comes to certain things......driving is one of them. I was taught to not rely on the car to make my decisions (this was back in 1980). I have played with Driver+ and while I think it is cool, I don't see myself using it that much and I will stick with cruise control.

Drive-by-wire is sort of the same thing to me, I don't want a computer dictating my steering.......this is something I will probably change my mind on in the future, but for now, I want an "analog" connection (gears, pulleys, etc).

With it all dirty it looked cheap and horrible....but as he stated, they didn't clean it and it survived the elements.

He ripped Tesla about no spare tire area (like our Rivians) which for what our type of vehicles are built for should have one.

He also said something about the charging port that they had to remove to use a CCS to NACS adapter.

Overall, he did like the CT, but he said that the Rivian does a lot more things right. I think Tesla has the advantage because it has been around the longest and they set the standard. I won't be buying a CT in the near future or the future for that matter....to me it is a NOVELTY (aka "Look at me") vehicle.

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I think that's most people's issue with him. Content isn't good enough to justify any kind of favorable treatment.
Well, "Out of Spec Dave" is his Dad.....so, he really didn't get out of line, he just used his Dad's credits to get it.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Well, "Out of Spec Dave" is his Dad.....so, he really didn't get out of line, he just used his Dad's credits to get it.
I don't know who that is, but good for this guy I guess.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

You mean preferred gun of freedom loving patriots everywhere?
If a car is getting shot at, I would ask myself "That person might want to reevaluate where his driving to" that they are being shot at......downtown Oakland, S.F. L.A......maybe!......LOLOL

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I don't know who that is, but good for this guy I guess.
"Out of Spec. Dave" is part of the Out of Spec. review team and Dave is Kyle's Dad. He is as knowledgeable as Kyle.

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
For some reason I thought the Cybertruck was a really large vehicle. Then I saw in a picture parked next to an F150 Lightning and it was much smaller than the Ford. It looks more like the size of a Rivian R1T for sure, which I guess is a good thing unless you expected the Cybertruck to be more like a Hummer EV.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Somehow the “game changing“ technology in the CT couldn’t prevent Sandy Munro from hitting a wall while backing up :CWL:

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/03/18...r-sandy-munro-says-and-he-hit-a-wall-with-it/

"One of the things I'm unhappy about is I don't know where the back end of this vehicle is," Munro said. "The camera says I've got about a foot, but it actually is more like an inch."

As a result of the difficulty of backing up the Cybertruck, Munro said he hit a "back wall," slightly bending the rear edges of the truck and scuffing part of the rear bumper.

The auto expert is far from the first to express frustration with backing up in the Cybertruck. Pharrell Williams appeared to have difficulty maneuvering a Cybertruck earlier this year and several auto experts have made light of the issue as well.

"You can't see a darn thing out of the back, especially when the cargo bed cover is deployed," Clint Simone, an automotive journalist for Edmunds, wrote in a review of the truck. "A camera feed constantly runs on the center screen, but I still checked the rearview mirror out of habit every few minutes."

Similarly, a reviewer from MotorTrend said the rearview camera doesn't work when the truck's turn signal is on as the video feed for the rearview camera is replaced by a video from a different blind spot camera.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Somehow the “game changing“ technology in the CT couldn’t prevent Sandy Munro from hitting a wall with his while backing up :CWL:

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/03/18...r-sandy-munro-says-and-he-hit-a-wall-with-it/
Every rear camera I've used that is designed to be used as a mirror replacement has sucked. You lose depth of field and your eyes have to refocus on the closer surface, so glancing takes longer. At least when a backup camera points at the ground you have a little bit of a distance reference.

I can totally see backing up into something because you're tricked into thinking you have more room than reality- because I've done it in this situation.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Every rear camera I've used that is designed to be used as a mirror replacement has sucked. You lose depth of field and your eyes have to refocus on the closer surface, so glancing takes longer. At least when a backup camera points at the ground you have a little bit of a distance reference.

I can totally see backing up into something because you're tricked into thinking you have more room than reality- because I've done it in this situation.
Oh I can definitely see how that would happen. I use my mirrors along with the camera when backing up in my Rivian, especially if there is anything in the area behind me.

I just thought this was funny because the CT fans have been saying from day 1 the tech in this truck is far more advanced than any other vehicle on the road and having the tonneau block the rear view mirror would cause no issues🙄

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I just thought this was funny because the CT fans have been saying from day 1 the tech in this truck is far more advanced than any other vehicle on the road and having the tonneau block the rear view mirror would cause no issues🙄
I was surprised to find out it even had a rearview mirror because of the tonneau design. I'm guessing it's a regulatory thing.
Sponsored