Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Launch Green, LE 20"AT
Occupation
Production Manager/Brewery Engineer
Clubs

**Update 7/14/23
I got my completed work order today and after 2 weeks trying to pinpoint the issue, it was determined that there was air in the refrigerant lines for the AC system. They completed a drain/Flush/fill and then recalibrated all of the vents. I am getting it back next week and will update again if there are continuing issues.

Hey guys/gals, wondering if anyone else has been having issues with their Air Conditioning and/or pet mode since the last update? I had this issue once prior to updating to 2023.22.0 but since updating, it has happed 4 times now where I have pet mode engaged and set at 68 or 70 degrees and the vehicle cannot maintain that temperature. Once, I got an alert when it hit 81 degrees that I needed to check on my pet but other times I have not gotten anything. Today is a perfect example of it happening again.

Outside temperature is 57 degrees, parked in the shade, with a windshield sun guard in place and pet mode set at 68 degrees. Inside temperature of vehicle is currently 77 degrees and climbing ( I do not have my dog in the car!) When I have come out to the vehicle there is just no air coming from the vents at all but you can hear the compressor and fans running. I have manually set temp to LOW and fans to full speed and there is no difference. Previously when this happened I was able to reset the software or reset the truck and it would correct itself. I have also taken Vehicle Diagnostics every time it hasn't worked (hold the Hazard button for 5 seconds).

Rivian R1T R1S Pet Mode/General AC issues** UPDATE** Screenshot_20230628-111202
Rivian R1T R1S Pet Mode/General AC issues** UPDATE** Screenshot_20230628-111207

I have an appointment for the service center to look at in 2 days but wanted to check with the community to see if I am on my own with this issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Will be very interested to hear what Rivian says about your problem and to learn if this a common issue.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I have not noticed any AC issues before or after 2023.22.0, although I just got the update Monday and have not used Pet Mode specifically since the update.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Thanks for posting; we anticipate using pet safety this weekend. It is going to be triple digits and sunny so knowing to monitor closely is very helpful.

OP
OP

CouR1Tois

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I've got an appointment for Friday morning and will be sure to update my OP with what they say. Fingers crossed its something easy...

Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Thanks for posting. I just updated and will be in the watch to make sure the dog is safe.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
I hope nobodies pets get harmed with these issues.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Sounds like your freon needs charging. If your AC isn't working properly then I wouldn't rely on pet mode.

My AC has always worked well. I tested pet mode on a day where I was parked in full sun and it was 97 degrees out. Windshield shade but no sunroof shade. Pet mode worked great and kept the interior where I set it at 72 for four hours in the middle of the day.

OP
OP

CouR1Tois

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with the freon because it works perfectly fine on and off. Pet mode specifically seems to cause an issue where the fans themselves don't seem to be blowing. After it sits idle for an hour or so, everything comes back on just like normal. I run pet mode on my truck almost every day and 80 90% of the time it works flawlessly. The problem is the one or two times it doesn't could be a big issue

Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I didn't drive my truck (2023.18.0) for a few days last week and it seemed to struggle keeping the cabin cool and pet comfort was about 76 when it was set at 70. This weekend after about an hour drive, it Pet comfort right at 70 for an hour plus. The cabin was also pretty close to the set temp

Today (now on 2023.22.0) was similar...I haven't driven the truck much over the past few days, and even though the temp was set to 70, Pet comfort was only keeping it around 76-77.

My past few cars have been similar in that if they sat for a few days, it took them a while for the Ac to really blow cold air.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Sounds like your freon needs charging. If your AC isn't working properly then I wouldn't rely on pet mode.

My AC has always worked well. I tested pet mode on a day where I was parked in full sun and it was 97 degrees out. Windshield shade but no sunroof shade. Pet mode worked great and kept the interior where I set it at 72 for four hours in the middle of the day.
after the .22 update?

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
I had a weird situation while driving in partly sunny 77 degree OAT conditions where the climate control, on Auto, suddenly went to fan speed 1 and ceased blowing conditioned air. Got real hot, real fast. Just upgraded to 2023.22.0.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
No, I don't have .22 yet.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Another curious case for the AC compressor detectives. Paging Rivian software…
Sponsored