ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Just curious, does the phone as a key work with an Apple Watch (or other smart watch), if you don't have your phone with you?

If it doesn't now I do realize it may be possible through an update at some point. It could make the wrist key redundant or unnecessary for people that use smart watches.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ads75

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

It doesn't but that's a good idea. Suggest it to your guide.
Thanks, I'll suggest it when I get a guide. Or if anyone else wants to, feel free. Although to be honest it is pretty rare when I don't have my phone on me.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Apple actually brought out a CarKey functionality a couple years ago. But I think BMW was the only one to implement it so far. Wonder if the hardware in the R1 could even support it, not that Rivian would actually implement it.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Apple actually brought out a CarKey functionality a couple years ago. But I think BMW was the only one to implement it so far. Wonder if the hardware in the R1 could even support it, not that Rivian would actually implement it.
I believe CarKey requires specific hardware (I believe ultrawideband radios that would have to be specifically compatible with Apple's implementation), whereas Rivian/Tesla just use (lots of) Bluetooth.

There's no reason Rivian/Tesla couldn't work with smartwatches from a hardware perspective; I'd guess that today's WatchKit APIs don't allow arbitrary access to the watch's bluetooth radios, though, so it may not be possible without app model changes from Apple.

Sponsored

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Tesla has rings and jewelry that works, but no go on smartwatches...
people have removed plastic on keys and integrated into apple watch bands actually, sure it will eventually come to rivian card keys

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Yeah we just need to turn the rivian wristbands into apple watch bands and were set.

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, 488, Model X, Honda Clarity, 911, Jeep
Tesla has 3rd party apps that work as car keys. They are not official Tesla products. I imagine someone can do the same with Rivian.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Would be nice if you could even just use the NFC in a smartwatch just as you would the card keys.

Also interested in specific support for Google Pixel Watch and Garmin watches.
Sponsored