Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Was there any mention of when public deliveries will start?
Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Enable the child lock on that door.
Good thing Child locks work on adults too. I know I'm gonna forget. ?‍♂ Probably gonna put the thickest 3M protective coat on just that door panel lol. ???

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Good thing Child locks work on adults too. I know I'm gonna forget. ?‍♂ Probably gonna put the thickest 3M protective coat on just that door panel lol. ???
Maybe there is a rubberized edge for that sink module that can easily be put on as a precaution.

Baldewin

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
The rep I spoke with while there mentioned Jan 2022.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I did a navigation from where we were in Venice to my house in Colorado and this route calculation took over a minute. Colby told me it does all of the calculations in the cloud so since our data was spotty (lots of people congregated at the hub congesting the cellular service) it took longer.
Seems like a bad choice to rely on the cloud, especially for a vehicle that’s going to take us places without reliable service (hell, my weekend place in West Sonoma County, which is in a town, doesn’t have dependable service). Any indication it could plan routes without a connection when one wasn’t available?

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Seems like a bad choice to rely on the cloud, especially for a vehicle that’s going to take us places without reliable service (hell, my weekend place in West Sonoma County, which is in a town, doesn’t have dependable service). Any indication it could plan routes without a connection when one wasn’t available?
I didn’t get a chance to ask. This was at the end of my time in the vehicle.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
The rep I spoke with while there mentioned Jan 2022.
I mentioned to Olivia that this is a problem - different answers depending on who you talk to and when. She didn’t really have a response.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yeah, it really is a bad choice. In mountains it only takes a few miles out of town or off a major highway to get massive cell dead spots. It’s almost inexcusable for any car with navigation to not have at least some limited offline capabilities. Fewer POI is understandable, but it should be able to at least route to an address or GPS coordinates.

rockdogz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yeah, it really is a bad choice. In mountains it only takes a few miles out of town or off a major highway to get massive cell dead spots. It’s almost inexcusable for any car with navigation to not have at least some limited offline capabilities. Fewer POI is understandable, but it should be able to at least route to an address or GPS coordinates.
Agreed - and this is also why I’m surprised they didn’t include satellite radio - what happens when you are far from a radio or cellphone signal?

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Saab 93 turboX SC; 2020 Porsche GT4
Awesome thread and nice real life pictures of the truck and accessories.

As previously mentionned it's nice to see a piece of limestone as it is the color I have on pre-order. For those that have seen it in person, how would it look with Forest Edge interior? Thats the combo I was going for.

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Not sure we can conclude that it doesn't have "any" offline capabilities because it was determining the route in the cloud. When I use google maps toady the route is calculated in the cloud but as soon as it's pulled down locally, I can go offline without ever losing the route. That said, I do think they should offer some ability to download offline versions of maps in advance of a trip, in the same way that you can do so today in gmaps.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Was there any mention of when public deliveries will start?
Not sure we can conclude that it doesn't have "any" offline capabilities because it was determining the route in the cloud. When I use google maps toady the route is calculated in the cloud but as soon as it's pulled down locally, I can go offline without ever losing the route. That said, I do think they should offer some ability to download offline versions of maps in advance of a trip, in the same way that you can do so today in gmaps.
i wonder what sort of offline abilities other map box based systems have(bmw, porsche)?
I haven’t been in any new enough cars to have seen it.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Google maps can also do fully offline routing If you have an offline map covering the start and end points. But you’re right, it’s possible Rivian will have that eventually as well.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Awesome thread and nice real life pictures of the truck and accessories.

As previously mentionned it's nice to see a piece of limestone as it is the color I have on pre-order. For those that have seen it in person, how would it look with Forest Edge interior? Thats the combo I was going for.
I second that, I want to know how FE interior will pair with Limestone. I think it's either going to look great or it's going to be too similar between the seats and exterior paint.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i wonder what sort of offline abilities other map box based systems have(bmw, porsche)?
I haven’t been in any new enough cars to have seen it.
I started looking into this. MapBox definitely has APIs that support offline maps and semi-online or fully offline routing. For example, here’s a discussion of their hybrid online/offline system for “low bandwidth navigation“ for fleets.

https://blog.mapbox.com/cut-fleet-data-bills-with-hybrid-online-offline-routing-5b10ee4bfa76
Sponsored