Sponsored

Poll: Should Rivian offer Apple CarPlay?

Should Rivian offer Apple CarPlay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FrostyZ

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wyldwattage.com
Vehicles
2023 R1T Launch Edition (Red Canyon)
Clubs

The software team at Rivian has spent 3+ years designing one of the best, and most good looking, in-car software packages. Why mess it up with CarPlay?

They should be able to implement everything that CarPlay offers as a native option in the future. Just be patient. It took Tesla forever to add all the additional features…
Sponsored

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The software team at Rivian has spent 3+ years designing one of the best, and most good looking, in-car software packages. Why mess it up with CarPlay?

They should be able to implement everything that CarPlay offers as a native option in the future. Just be patient. It took Tesla forever to add all the additional features…
The patience is what is an issue here. At the current rate of development, they'll add 1 infotainment service a year. In the modern world, where services are getting spun up or taken down, merged, or bought out by Billionaires, IT IS TOO SLOW. Carplay and AA are essentially allowing the responsibility to fall onto the service developers (Spotify, Apple Music, Audible, Libby, etc, etc).

I agree it looks like crap when integrated with car systems, but it's function over style that makes me vote for it.

p.s. i did ask in the AMA whether Rivian would spin up their own platform similar to Carplay but that question wasn't answered.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I honestly don’t care but if you can’t make an accurate nav that is as good as google maps then do not force me to use your junk.

wolfsbane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Yukon Denali, Canyon SLT
when I rent vehicles or drive my wife's vehicle, it's nice having my phone's google maps, and my phone's apple music or Spotify, etc. pop up and have text messages pop up..

...but in the Rivian, I'm fine with Rivian's nav, don't really need or miss google maps or waze on screen. and i don't really need texts while driving. and I can still ask Alexa to call someone or ask Siri to call or text someone when I want.

...I do want apple music built in though, selfishly, because i cancelled my Spotify sub and switched to apple music a few years ago for their family plan for wife & kids.. right now in the Rivian, I can have better quality but with ads on the integrated Spotify app, or worse quality over bluetooth but with no ads on apple music on my phone. It's a tradeoff until apple music app is on the Rivian. Luckily, that is coming soon, so I'm good.

Sponsored

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Cayenne E-Hybrid, R1T DM Std.+
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
I could care less about Carplay, but it would be nice if Rivian focused on improving the Driver + system, that's just my opinion. I mean, I have Carplay on my phone if I "really" need it.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Finally, this really brings out what I consider to be an ugly aspect of some people’s personality: Person A arguing against other people (group B) gaining something which person A already has and which will not negatively affect Person A. Is this merely because Person A already has what they want so group B should just shut up and accept it? That’s just speculation about one possible reason. I don’t understand the motivation for arguing against adding features or choices when the addition doesn’t come at the cost of existing features or choices.
Understand and agree, with one caveat - I voted against CarPlay not because I don't want others to have it (I really don't care one way or the other) - but I fully support Rivian's business decision to not include it.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
i want it available to get more people to buy Rivians, hence ensuring their survival. I don't necessarily care one way or the other.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23R1S(DM,Max); '23R1T(QM,Lg); '23 & '19 Bolts
When we've had a CarPlay enabled vehicle, my wife has used it and I have wished it would go away while I'm driving.

In particular, I don't like the way CarPlay hides outside temperature data. Those data matter to me!

I would have enjoyed the poll more with a third option: "I don't care." I bet that would have drawn votes from both sides....

Best to all!

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Understand and agree, with one caveat - I voted against CarPlay not because I don't want others to have it (I really don't care one way or the other) - but I fully support Rivian's business decision to not include it.
I completely agree with you regarding Rivian’s business decisions. Ultimately, while some of us may want certain features or options, we do not know what factors or future plans Rivian executives are taking into account when making decisions. This applies to everything some of us may want: lower trim levels, screen projection, glass roof, wheel bolt pattern, etc.

That’s not the same thing as other non-Rivian people arguing against something because they are fine with things as they are, regardless of other people needs and wants.

Worse, people who go full Rivian fanboy and think that just because RJ and/or Rivian has an opinion that the RJ/Rivian opinion MUST be correct and people shouldn’t question this or maturely advocate for change. A lot of us switched from (or entirely avoided) EM/Tesla because of the near-cult behavior of some fans and owners.

Sponsored

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
Just want Apple Music, don’t care about the rest of it. Actually enjoy no distractions showing up on my screen, turned off CP on my Tundra and just stream Bluetooth.

f1racer328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Land Rover LR4
Occupation
Tube Driver
Wishlist:

Audio streaming through USB-C
Waze
On X (For off road maps)

That's really it. Apple Music was on there, but it's coming so that's resolved thankfully. I could go either way with CarPlay, but Rivians native UI looks amazing.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Since we’re all voting for stuff that won’t ever appear, I’d be down for a Rivian AI assistant called Gary.

“Hey Gary, change my interior lighting to the color of your pants.”

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
You need an I don’t care option. I answered no because I would not use it but do not care if it is actually offered as long as it is not required to use.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Since we’re all wishing for stuff that won’t ever appear, I’d be down for a Rivian AI assistant called Gary.

“Hey Gary, change my interior lighting to the color of your pants.”
I’ve been using Alexa a lot more recently, would love to be able to rename her Gary (or something else).
Sponsored