Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I don’t get the batch argument. They have made over 2000 vehicles in the past six months and all are BM interior. In addition the pieces are the same, just different color so why the need to batch much after an initial start up period? It all points to a delay.
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

So the real question here is how is Rivian production planning (behind the scene, out of view of CS) handling a delay caused by interior color choice. Are they instructing Guides to contact people at the same point they would otherwise for a given delivery window and inquire about a switch to BM to preserve a place in line? Or are they giving those who last picked BM a favored place in line and moving their builds up. I fear its the latter because we've seen several instances where the 4-6 wks turns into a week or two.

And sitting here now without a Guide contact yet I have zero faith that CS engagement can result in changing my selection to BM from FE. I would do it at this point if I could.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

So the real question here is how is Rivian production planning (behind the scene, out of view of CS) handling a delay caused by interior color choice. Are they instructing Guides to contact people at the same point they would otherwise for a given delivery window and inquire about a switch to BM to preserve a place in line? Or are they giving those who last picked BM a favored place in line and moving their builds up. I fear its the latter because we've seen several instances where the 4-6 wks turns into a week or two.

And sitting here now without a Guide contact yet I have zero faith that CS engagement can result in changing my selection to BM from FE. I would do it at this point if I could.
Agree. I currently have FE delivery scheduled for May/June (is that the delayed date or would a delay push me back even further?) but if switching to BM got here months before FE, I'd probably do it. If it was a few weeks, maybe not. But months, yes.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I don’t get the batch argument. They have made over 2000 vehicles in the past six months and all are BM interior. In addition the pieces are the same, just different color so why the need to batch much after an initial start up period? It all points to a delay.
Early production automobiles (yes this is still early production) are commonly done in batches to keep rates up. Less chance of error, more speed if everything is the same. Once they’re going full speed they will begin building to order/out of sequence.

This is how making anything with lots of permutations generally works.

there is also the component supply difficulty. If they can only get black interior bits because the pigments for the ocean coast and forest edge items are in short supply, or there arent enough green vegan cowhides for seats…. Not gonna make those things.

just because customer service doesn’t know there’s delayed availability of white speaker grilles or something doesn’t mean there’s no delay.

There have been so many delays with so many things. For every corner of the manufacturing. pigments for paints, for example.

surely you’ve been affected by this in the science world?

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I would really like to know what the anticipated delay timing is. I also have FE and really want FE, but if they called tomorrow and told me that May-June is actually Nov-Dec for FE, I'd switch to BM. Anything more than an additional month of delay over my current estimated delivery and I think I would switch, though in 2 years I'd probably regret not getting what I wanted.

Very frustrating. This is the one time that I'm kinda in alignment with all the 'wtf manage your supply chain' complaints. They've had years to be sourcing the materials for the interiors and in that time VERY little has changed. They should have a whole warehouse of FE dash-wood already :sigh:

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I would really like to know what the anticipated delay timing is. I also have FE and really want FE, but if they called tomorrow and told me that May-June is actually Nov-Dec for FE, I'd switch to BM. Anything more than an additional month of delay over my current estimated delivery and I think I would switch, though in 2 years I'd probably regret not getting what I wanted.

Very frustrating. This is the one time that I'm kinda in alignment with all the 'wtf manage your supply chain' complaints. They've had years to be sourcing the materials for the interiors and in that time VERY little has changed. They should have a whole warehouse of FE dash-wood already :sigh:
you would think sales(guides) would get a report that says “anything that isn’t a black mountain interior is delayed until (timeframe)”, and be able to advise their orders accordingly

Theeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander
Occupation
sales
Old manufacturing trick. They are going to discourage taking OC and FE interiors because of the cost issues. If they can reduce the number of variations (at lower price) this will save Rivian money.

If you stick with the OC or FE LE, it means you get a rare option at a great value, if everybody else changes to BM.

I'm waiting on an OC for as long as possible which means I will be wasting more time on this website instead of driving.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Someone(maybe even you!) here had mentioned asking their guide, who’d said there was no mention of delay, then dug further upon realizing the order hadn’t progressed…and found out anything but black interior was delayed some months.

Quite curious to know which piece of the puzzle is causing the delay. Is it upholstery, wood trim, plastics? Some combination of those things?

sort of morbidly fascinating seeing these supply delays occurring when they’re ones I don’t have to deal with myself.

who knew worldwide supply chains rely on “that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.” Levels of planning ??
I have no meaningful insight other than to say, Ive seen Hyundai Transys employees complaining about logistics delays; ie waiting for seat frames or other components that are stuck in shipping containers and assembled domestically.

Sort of paints a flattering picture of Tesla for having vertically integrated seating production in house. Not many auto companies do.

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Literally this second from Customer service chat. Car is in my Wife's name.

Rivian Chat Transcript: 3/15/22

3/15/2022, 10:15:30 AM - Madison: Hi Kim! Thanks for chatting with Rivian. My name is Maddie, how can I help you today?
------
3/15/2022, 10:16:46 AM - Kim Blakeney: Hey, Hearing a LOT of rumors that Ocean Coast interior is delayed and or delaying orders. But that perhaps Customer Service Chat not yet aware.... do you know?
------
3/15/2022, 10:17:06 AM - Madison: I apologize that I don't have any information on that.
------
3/15/2022, 10:18:31 AM - Kim Blakeney: ok so... is it delayed or no? haha should I switch to black mountain or whatever it is called for interior?
------
3/15/2022, 10:20:00 AM - Madison: I apologize that I don't have insight into that, your Guide will be able to clarify further with delivery. Was your delivery window given to you with a R1S configured with the Ocean Coast?
------
3/15/2022, 10:20:19 AM - Kim Blakeney: yes delivery window is June/July
------
3/15/2022, 10:20:28 AM - Kim Blakeney: Therefore do not have a guide yet
------
3/15/2022, 10:21:11 AM - Madison: Then you are still on track for June - July delivery, I do not know of any delays.

Dshark1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE
Occupation
Yep
A 2018 preorder LE R1T model with FE inside ($2000 extra) should not be a supply constraint period.
Launch Edition = make it first All the LE components should have been in stock in 2021.
Maybe they should change the name to "special edition" And you can have it when they deem your need to be great enough.

Unfortunately it appears now RJ has adopted Henry Ford's business model.
"You can have any color you want as long as it is BLACK"

http://oplaunch.com/blog/2015/04/30/the-truth-about-any-color-so-long-as-it-is-black/

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Early production automobiles (yes this is still early production) are commonly done in batches to keep rates up. Less chance of error, more speed if everything is the same. Once they’re going full speed they will begin building to order/out of sequence.

This is how making anything with lots of permutations generally works.
I’m surprised that Rivian allowed so many choices in LE vehicles because of exactly what you said here.

I am pretty sure I’ve seen some manufacturers produce Launch or Special Edition vehicles with one (special like Launch Green) or two (special + one “safe” standard color like white, silver, or black) exterior colors, one interior color, perhaps several wheel package choices, and a set list of features with no major factory options. They can still allow (and encourage for extra profit) dealer installed options like different floor mats, camp kitchen, RTT, etc.

This allows them to crank out a lot of vehicles with a minimum number of configurations on the production line with most customization opportunities as bolt-on (wheels and accessories) not built-in (e.g. tow hooks and off-road standard for all, power tonneau standard for all R1T, etc.).

It’s nice that they tried to accommodate people’s preferences, but it seems like they made things more difficult for themselves than they had to and the pandemic supply chain issues are amplifying the difficulty.

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
I’m surprised that Rivian allowed so many choices in LE vehicles because of exactly what you said here.

I am pretty sure I’ve seen some manufacturers produce Launch or Special Edition vehicles with one (special like Launch Green) or two (special + one “safe” standard color like white, silver, or black) exterior colors, one interior color, perhaps several wheel package choices, and a set list of features with no major factory options. They can still allow (and encourage for extra profit) dealer installed options like different floor mats, camp kitchen, RTT, etc.

This allows them to crank out a lot of vehicles with a minimum number of configurations on the production line with most customization opportunities as bolt-on (wheels and accessories) not built-in (e.g. tow hooks and off-road standard for all, power tonneau standard for all R1T, etc.).

It’s nice that they tried to accommodate people’s preferences, but it seems like they made things more difficult for themselves than they had to and the pandemic supply chain issues are amplifying the difficulty.
Yes exactly right, look at the Bronco. I have one on order. Lots of models and options etc.. but the Launch edition which was also a limited quantity was 1 way or chose another model. No mix and matching there. Granted... Ford has major MAJOR problems and dealer totally screwing customers but that is another story haha

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Not going to fret over this as my R1S delivery is not "planned" until first half 23 (but in actuality will be second half of 23)

Oak62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 C7 Z51
Old manufacturing trick. They are going to discourage taking OC and FE interiors because of the cost issues. If they can reduce the number of variations (at lower price) this will save Rivian money.

If you stick with the OC or FE LE, it means you get a rare option at a great value, if everybody else changes to BM.

I'm waiting on an OC for as long as possible which means I will be wasting more time on this website instead of driving.
That makes total sense, considering OC went from ‘included’ to $2000 at the price hike.
Sponsored