Sponsored

Quad Motor on Conservative Drive Setting and Battery Changes

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

300 real miles on a charge, changing tires at 25k is champagne problems…. This is good info. That’s the other question i was going to ask - quad motor with 21”…..
Quad Motor Large Pack R1T on 20" offroad tires
61 degrees full charge test at 70mph in conserve yielded 289 real world miles.

Quad Motor Large Pack R1S on 20" offroad tires
53 degrees full charge test at 70mph in conserve yielded 289 real world miles.
Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
You should be ok with dual motor or quad motor (conserve) large pack on 21” or 22”. Max pack is only about 13 kWh more usable capacity so it’s very costly. Your other option is waiting for the Ram REV or Ramcharger.

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

From what you have said in this thread I do do not think you need the Quad set up. I think you would be most happy with DM Performance with Max pack on 21s.

don’t forget your home charging set up. You may be needing to charge 100+ kWh overnight, so a high power L2 is essential.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
With Rivian having serious demand issues at current pricing, I wouldn't hold out for an even higher priced quad motor, max pack. Given your use cases, the dual motor max pack would more than suffice.

I'd like to see a quad Enduro motor drop during the March or Aug/Sept shutdowns, but that's pie in the sky. What is probably more important to accomplish is adding a heat pump. I have one on my 2021 Model S and the winter efficiency here in NJ is night and day difference compared to the 2019 Model X (no heat pump) I had previously. I'm hoping, and waiting, to see if Rivian adds a heat pump to the R1 in March when they do the rewiring/shutdown. Would be a great time to add it and help boost range, and therefore demand, for those of us in colder climates.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

22" on an R1S - just made a 300mi roundtrip this weekend. on the leg coming back (after a stop for charging on the way out) I had about 200mi of range, needed to go ~150. Vehicle predicted I'd arrive with 6mi remaining. I arrived with 42. The default system is highly pessimistic :D but I'd rather that than something like Tesla which would have told me I'd arrive with 300mi left on arrival.

Bottom line - I find my Rivian to deliver the stated range or better under most circumstances. Yes a huge headwind or driving faster than you normally would can affect things, but you'll see it and you can stop and charge if you're not going to make it. And if you are making a trip where you need to worry about NO charging options AT ALL for 200+ miles - I'd advise to NOT driver faster than needed, and educate yourself on the vehicle and it's systems and how to maximize range. Having an EV WILL require you to be aware of how you drive and to make changes. The reward is worth it, but it requires you to have some discipline and do a bit more planning. This will change over time as more chargers come in, but regardless -RTFM, ask questions here (as you are) and GET educated on the vehicle so you can operate it at peak performance.

You should be just fine with the large pack I think.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

With Rivian having serious demand issues at current pricing, I wouldn't hold out for an even higher priced quad motor, max pack. Given your use cases, the dual motor max pack would more than suffice.

I'd like to see a quad Enduro motor drop during the March or Aug/Sept shutdowns, but that's pie in the sky. What is probably more important to accomplish is adding a heat pump. I have one on my 2021 Model S and the winter efficiency here in NJ is night and day difference compared to the 2019 Model X (no heat pump) I had previously. I'm hoping, and waiting, to see if Rivian adds a heat pump to the R1 in March when they do the rewiring/shutdown. Would be a great time to add it and help boost range, and therefore demand, for those of us in colder climates.
Heat pumps are more important on vehicles that are efficient to begin with. Cabin heating is closer to being a constant value than a percentage of energy consumed. Granted they will always be an energy savings in the right conditions.

If Rivian does introduce a higher end Quad, they will probably do it intending on pushing the average buyer into the dual motor. Which is still a super compelling option.

I think it's likely they will target 10-15% of orders into the quad replacement, similar to the Corvette Z06 mix.

Kraphtymac

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Adventure
Clubs

I personally think if you’re regularly expecting to get 200 miles on this vehicle AND do your charging at home, you’ll be greatly disappointed.

It is well recognized that regularly deeply discharging your battery and then charging to 100% will more rapidly degrade your battery. Additionally, charging with a high speed charger degrades longevity.

Most people giving ranges in here are stating range charging to 100%, then discharging below 20%. In reality you want to be living between 20 and 80% most of the time, and doing the majority of your charging on a home charger.

In my real world driving I would never have gotten 200 miles going from 80% SOC to 20% SOC.

vince993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have an R1S large pack quad with 21” tires and drive between the San Gabriel Valley and Paso Robles about once a month over the Tejon Pass on the 5. I get about 250 to 265 miles of range with highway speeds of up to 85mph driving in Conserve mode.

Tenn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RT1 Forest Green, Forest Edge
Occupation
Engineer Manager
Nothing new to add but I took a trip mid summer last year in an r1t quad on 21s from Nashville tn to Portland or and drove back a month later. Averaged 2.4 miles/kwh going 70-75 in the highways. I did a lot of conserve mode on the way up and it did eat tires but no problems hitting 300 miles on a charge. Wyoming was…interesting.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Not sure how these forums work… so forgive me if this is NOT the intention of this system…

The Set up: I have hovered my finger over the ‘order’ button a few times now.. to pull the trigger on an RT1. I work in sales and on the road 200-250 miles in a day (on my heavy days) but really averaging around 150 miles a day and counting in my 2018 model three (185k and climbing). Needless to say, I’m hitting the supercharger on the road far too often as i do not have the range I would like. I DO have a home charger…

Sold my F150 work truck and I want the Rt1 with all the advantages I get with the quad motors when playing in the woods (Oregon Boy) … but I’m told the MAX PACK for the quad motor will be a thing… at a ‘later date’…. And dropping 100k on a truck.. i want to do this right.

THE QUESTION(s):
1: If most of my time is highway miles, and i swap the truck into Conserve mode… is 200 REAL drive miles (SoCal located) a realistic thing? Or should I hold out for this MAX PACK QUAD (when ever that is) or is the whole argument stupid and just go with the dual with the max pack.
Yes, pretty safe to say. You would have to average less than 1.6 mi per kwh to not be able to travel 200 mi on large pack.

That is with running it from 100% to 0% though so you will want to make sure you have charging available if its below freezing on certain routes. You don't want to charge above 90% or run it below 20% regularly for best battery health. Once in a while is ok.

On a recent road trip with temps in the teens to low 20s I was able to pull down 2 mi per kwh in conserve running it 75-80 mph. In milder temps keeping speeds at 70 or below I am able to get 2.6 mi per kwh in conserve mode. I have the most efficient setup which is the 21" road wheel/tire setup. The 22" sport or the AT especially will be lower. The large pack has about 131 kwh of usable energy. Max pack has 142 kwh usable.

2: Is the Quad Max Pack a real thing and worth holding out for?
Yes, Rivian has stated they would release it in the future. No date specified though. Current max pack is only an additional 11 kwh usable capacity though and some have trouble justifying the extra 10k for that.

3: I’m reading that Rivian is swapping to Lithium battery system ‘in 2024’ - is this a thing now and how do we feel about the battery swap?
I haven't heard about this. they will be introducing the standard pack and updating their assembly to streamline production but that is all I have heard.

I need a 250k mile truck…. I’m hoping this is the solution.
The quad motor has a 175,000 mile or 8 yr battery and electric drive component warranty. The dual motor has the same but for 150,000 mi. Trucks are still too new but Rivian is standing behind them and I have no doubt these trucks will last. The only thing I worry about is the air suspension and kinetic ride control after the bumper to bumper expires. We have seen some issue with air suspension but nothing catastrophic. Highest mileage trucks I have seen are close to 60,000 miles.

Thanks in advance and happy charging…
Answers in bold inline.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Boring Boy

Boring Boy

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Occupation
Outside sales
Clubs

Answers in bold inline.
Brilliant. Thank you.

With Southern California weather always being consistency in the 70s to 80s along the coastline, it looks like either option is a safe bet.

I think I’m gonna weigh on the side of upgrades over the extra 50 miles and go with the quad motor large pack 🔥

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
THE QUESTION(s):
1: If most of my time is highway miles, and i swap the truck into Conserve mode… is 200 REAL drive miles (SoCal located) a realistic thing? Or should I hold out for this MAX PACK QUAD (when ever that is) or is the whole argument stupid and just go with the dual with the max pack.

I heard this from a Rivian mobile tech. There is a clutch pack at the rear that engages or disengages when in AWD or FWD (Conserve). If you care about reducing wear on the clutch pack, try to keep changing between AWD/FWD at lower speeds.

2: Is the Quad Max Pack a real thing and worth holding out for?
Quad-Max was originally offered but never entered serial production. People speculate it might return after Rivian migrate all Quad Motor to their own in-house made Enduro motors (away from current outsourced Bosch units). Enduro are currently being used on the Dual Motor trims. No official date or confirmation have been made regarding Enduro Quad, or return of Quad-Max. "Worth" is subjective. Whether you should be holding out, based on pure speculation, only you can answer that. Current consensus on Max is that it's essentially the same pack as Large, just with more energy-dense dense version of battery cells. The range increase is not dramatic. You can do the math on your own based on data/specs published at Rivian.com.

3: I’m reading that Rivian is swapping to Lithium battery system ‘in 2024’ - is this a thing now and how do we feel about the battery swap?
Rivian/RJ was referring to the switch to cheaper LFP cells for the Amazon vans, which is also the plan for the lower priced and lower ranged Standard Pack R1. The lazy "journalists" erroneously regurgitated this info as a switch for all models. LFP cells can be full charged and discharged more frequently than Lithium-Ion—without suffering capacity loss—but is more susceptible to effects of extreme environmental temperature. If you do not live in a mild climate, this is not the way for you.

I need a 250k mile truck…. I’m hoping this is the solution.
As long as you observe best practices on charging, you'll likely suffer only 15%~20% battery degradation after 100K miles. Too soon to speculate on full pack replacements, but also don't expect it to be economical. Cost of batteries in BEVs account up to 60% of total production cost.

Last edited:

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Brilliant. Thank you.

With Southern California weather always being consistency in the 70s to 80s along the coastline, it looks like either option is a safe bet.

I think I’m gonna weigh on the side of upgrades over the extra 50 miles and go with the quad motor large pack 🔥
For all but extreme off camber off road slippery surfaces.....you can't beat the QM. The QM is an on road beast for sure.

And efficiency difference is pretty small and at least somewhat achieved simply thru the automatic clutch strategy of the rear motor in DM, which I personally am not a huge fan of. You can achieve that part in QM by just using the conserve on highways when you really need every last mile.
You will love the QM. So much fun!

Rivifan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Infiniti QX60
Occupation
IT Solution Architect
Clubs

300 real miles on a charge, changing tires at 25k is champagne problems…. This is good info. That’s the other question i was going to ask - quad motor with 21”…..
i spent too much time in conserve and blew through a pair in way less than 25k miles... and at $500 a tire, you must be doing very well in sales to have that champagne problems outlook :) An annual replacement of a pair of tires would get real old real quick for me.
Im on the 20"AT's with the underbody off-road kit, and most of my driving is suburban (I think all the stop and go added to that wear acceleration curve) my lifetime avg is right around 2kw/mi.

Ill also echo the comment on cold battery kills your range. Rivian will say 20% hit, but ive seen up to 50% hit regularly this winter when its at/below freezing. Really hoping this latest SW update fixes that with the schedules and whatnot, just haven't really driven much this past month, so haven't tested that.

I've heard some kinda disappointing reviews of maxpack range, so FWIW, if it were me, really ask myself which is more important, the extra drive off-road modes/ and slightly faster quad motor config, which might mean daily top-offs are required, or the extra range you'll get on the dual motor. Tough call... hope you enjoy either way you go. The truck is so, so fun.
Sponsored