First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
OP, if you pay for electricity (some of us have solar that covers our vehicle usage 100%) keep in mind that the Model 3 is at the very top of the efficiency chart regarding miles/kWh.
The Rivian's are near the bottom (bigger, heavier, tires, etc..) of the chart so your Rivian energy expenses might be close to double what they are with your Model 3. If you drive many miles/year that can really add up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Boring Boy

Boring Boy

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Occupation
Outside sales
Clubs

Yeah, I was looking at the kilowatts that I pull at night charging at home. The battery pack is literally half the size lol.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Not just the size of the pack.. look at the efficiency difference between the two vehicles..

The Model 3 is literally 2X more efficient using half the electricity of the Rivian to go the same distance.

Rivian R1T R1S Quad Motor on Conservative Drive Setting and Battery Changes 1706558842284

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I personally think if you’re regularly expecting to get 200 miles on this vehicle AND do your charging at home, you’ll be greatly disappointed.

It is well recognized that regularly deeply discharging your battery and then charging to 100% will more rapidly degrade your battery. Additionally, charging with a high speed charger degrades longevity.

Most people giving ranges in here are stating range charging to 100%, then discharging below 20%. In reality you want to be living between 20 and 80% most of the time, and doing the majority of your charging on a home charger.

In my real world driving I would never have gotten 200 miles going from 80% SOC to 20% SOC.
Seriously not my experience at all, and I do a ton of driving; going on 20,000 mi on the newest R1 I have. I can easily hit 200 mi plus keeping it between 20% and 80%, even running fast on the freeway (80) when I have my 21s installed.

DM Large pack T.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Seriously not my experience at all, and I do a ton of driving; going on 20,000 mi on the newest R1 I have. I can easily hit 200 mi plus keeping it between 20% and 80%, even running fast on the freeway (80) when I have my 21s installed.

DM Large pack T.
For everyone's convenience: 200 miles on 60% battery use translates to 333 miles of range.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

This last weekend I charged to 90%, drove to Gorman 75mph on the Grape Vine from Pasadena, went four wheeling all day in Hungry Valley, drove home, next morning drove to the Anaheim convention center, spent the day there and drove back, waited in line at In 'N Out for a half hour and drove home. Still had 45 miles of range and decided to plug in.
Rivian R1T R1S Quad Motor on Conservative Drive Setting and Battery Changes 2024-01-27 11.15.25
Rivian R1T R1S Quad Motor on Conservative Drive Setting and Battery Changes 2024-01-27 10.36.19
Rivian R1T R1S Quad Motor on Conservative Drive Setting and Battery Changes IMG_7470

Kraphtymac

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Adventure
Clubs

For everyone's convenience: 200 miles on 60% battery use translates to 333 miles of range.
***** under perfect and ideal conditions.

The last trip I took with my quad motor R1S large pack was 233 miles, ambient temp 42 degrees, conserve mode. I left the house at 99% SOC and had to stop 70 miles from my destination as I only had 16% charge remaining and the Rivian wasn’t projecting that I would complete the trip.

Your mileage (hopefully) varies—bc that is not at all what was billed when I bought the R1S.

Last edited:

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

***** under perfect and ideal conditions.

The last trip I took with my quad motor R1S large pack was 233 miles, ambient temp 42 degrees, conserve mode. I left the house at 99% SOC and had to stop 70 miles from my destination as I only had 16% charge remaining and the Rivian wasn’t projecting that I would complete the trip.

Your mileage (hopefully) varies—bc that is not at all what was billed when I bought the R1S.
Which tires?

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Can anyone comment on range using A/S 20's?

Also, great information on this thread. Making me feel real good about limited downsides with the "older" quad.

fjn7

First Name
Florin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Sounds like the advertised Tesla range is far from reality. Rivian is much better at hitting the advertised range, if anything from my experience it’s been on the conservative side. I can easily get 300 miles of range on my R1S quad-motor with 22” performance tires in conserve mode at 70-75 mph.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I agree with what most have already said. The most efficient R1 is on 21" wheels and driving at or below 70mph. The 70mph is the hardest part. You might want to consider keeping the Tesla and rotating the R1. Cheers.

CA Al

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Absolutely! And I do-!

My model three is the long range battery from 2018. It was rated at 320 miles when I first got it, now on a full charge I get about 265… but at 70 miles an hour on the highway, I really only get about 150…. So if I’m driving from Long Beach to Palm Springs, it’s frustrating with scheduled appointments having to pull over in charge as a necessity.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2023 model S due to the 410 mile range which would accomplish exactly what I need - but as a part-time contractor, I would love to get rid of my truck and have my Rivian both my road sales vehicle and my contractor work truck.

I’m gathering most of my concerns will be resolved with the truck. It really just comes down to if it’s worth waiting for the max pack on the quad motor or take it as is.

Of course, the other big concern is Rivian is a fairly new company…. So these forms have been very helpful in learning more about the product, the issues and the resolutions.
As a salesperson’s vehicle traveling 250 miles a day the vehicle is fine. Using the vehicle as a contractor’s truck is not favorable. The bed is plastic short and poorly designed for loose materials.

remember this has been advertised as an adventure vehicle. Glamping is its best use.

OP
OP
Boring Boy

Boring Boy

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Occupation
Outside sales
Clubs

Wow. Something for sure to take into consideration….
As a salesperson’s vehicle traveling 250 miles a day the vehicle is fine. Using the vehicle as a contractor’s truck is not favorable. The bed is plastic short and poorly designed for loose materials.

remember this has been advertised as an adventure vehicle. Glamping is its best use.
I think people mistake being a contractor for caring thousands of pounds of wood and lumber. Definitely not always the case.

Carrying a toolbox with me everywhere I go and taking appointments for new business for my crew, sounds like this truck will do exactly what I need.
I didn’t realize the efficiency was half what my model three gets. So I downloaded an application to start tracking battery, life, kilowatt per mile and such.

I don’t think it will change my end results, as without doubt I need a truck. But it’s nice to know going into what to expect rather than getting blindside for a bill for double the electrical cost.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My model three is the long range battery from 2018. It was rated at 320 miles when I first got it, now on a full charge I get about 265… but at 70 miles an hour on the highway, I really only get about 150….
Yikes, that is not sounding as efficient as marketed.
is there a limit to how much you can charge 100%? I figure there’s probably two or three days a week that I have long enough drives that I would go to 100%. But I’m a little confused as I get mixed information on if it’s OK to charge to 100% without damaging the battery.
It may be worth waiting for the Standard + with 315 miles of range (21") that is ok to charge to 100% regularly.
of the chart so your Rivian energy expenses might be close to double what they are with your Model 3
So an extra $50-100/month, not something I would worry about.
The Model 3 is literally 2X more efficient using half the electricity of the Rivian to go the same distance.
More like 50-60% more efficient, the OP is only getting 150miles on a charge.
My neighbor gets way less range on his M3 than my R1S QM on 20".
Can anyone comment on range using A/S 20's?
Pretty close to claimed, just get it already how many more years you going to wait.
I didn’t realize the efficiency was half what my model three gets. So I downloaded an application to start tracking battery, life, kilowatt per mile and such.

I don’t think it will change my end results, as without doubt I need a truck. But it’s nice to know going into what to expect rather than getting blindside for a bill for double the electrical cost.
What are you paying per/kwh? Looking at your current range I highly doubt your EV charging cost will double, + 50-60 more likely.
What is your mi/kwh with Tesla @70mph?
Sponsored