Sponsored

ajthejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S,‘19 Tundra 1794,‘19 XC90
Clubs

I, too, am willing to be a (paying) beta tester @RWerksman and can video chat live with you to talk through things.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kelvn

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Excited to see what people think when they start printing/getting them. My R1S has been at the service center since I started the thread for fit and finish concerns so I haven't been able to mess with anything.

Vern M

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Quick update:

I think I have these dialed in correctly at this point. I have final hardware on the way in - it's expected to arrive today. I was able to finalize what I want to do for infill and the top finish as well. (picture below - set on the right) Kevin and I just exchanged some messages regarding orientation, and I'm debating on baking in some text to assist with installing it correctly. (think REAR → in the mold)

20240127_161851.jpg

20240127_162028.jpg

So, now I'm a bit torn. I've not been able to arrange an R1S to test these with yet. Do I do a small, expedited beta for these, or so I say screw it and let it fly? (with a caveat)

Pricing for these should be just over $30 or so. That's mainly due to the size and printer time for each set. Print time for each set is north of 7 hours. (and defect rate / warranty claims)
I'm in. How can I help to make it happen?

Sbuilder

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1s
Occupation
Homebuilder
I usually have my cargo floor in the default setting, but I've needed a flat floor for loading large objects before. The R1S has a 2nd position for the load floor to allow for the floor to be stepless but this causes the area behind the 3rd row to be ramped at a significant enough level that I would worry about strapping down stuff on that end and bending it.

I designed and had a friend 3D print some floor risers that make the floor basically flat. It seems the 3rd row folded is still at an angle, so the cargo floor is flat but you can still see a little "ramp" at the 3rd row seats.

I designed them to be foldable so that they can stow away easily under the rear floor without taking too much space since they are "L" shaped. By complete luck they fit almost perfectly in the 3rd row armrest storage as long as you leave the armrest cover open. The floor alignment tabs fit just over the top of the arm rest opening (see pictures below).

I haven't load tested them but I used triangular infill so they should support a decent amount of weight. I also discovered that I need to add an additional support in the center where the large gap is currently, as is there is significant flex at that spot on the floor. I've modelled the center piece already but since I don't have a printer myself and need to rely on a friend's I can't immediately test with the center support.

I am no means a pro at this, and all measurements from the car were taken with a caliper, not 3D scanned so it's all pretty rough, but I'm excited with the results regardless.

IMG_5765.jpg
IMG_5766.jpg
IMG_5767.jpg
IMG_5768.jpg
IMG_5769.jpg
IMG_5770.jpg
IMG_5771.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-24 220429.png

******UPDATE 1*******

1706217910961-png.png

The red lines are the the original support when used in the "ramp" mode. So by deduction, Rivian is saying that supporting solely along the two longer sides is enough. My original supports used the upper red lines and the two blue L's. Under initial unscientific testing where I put some weight onto the center of the floor where the green line is, I saw some flex that I was not happy with.

1706217917682-png.png

Since then I have added this green piece intended to add the additional support to the area of the first picture.

I am discussing with Rob how to get these cleaned up.

******UPDATE 2*******

Current version is now uploaded.

ORIGINAL IN PICTURE, 62mm height
https://www.printables.com/model/738100-rivian-r1s-trunk-riser-62mm

57mm height
https://www.printables.com/model/738100-rivian-r1s-trunk-riser-57mm

The shorter one is a trial to see if i can make it more level with the 3rd row seats. 57MM VERSION HAS NOT BEEN TESTED YET.

Also note that the center support on either also have not been tested yet as I've mentioned in the original post. For others who can wait, I would wait for Rob's revisions.
great idea, I would love tat product, Have you thought about making it solid across the back, just so stuff doesn't get underneath. ?

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
I think one of the big advantages of the "open space" is that it will allow the spare tire wheel well to ventilate if you decide you want to put a powered cooler in there.

Sponsored

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S FG/FE Adventure 20, Audi e-tron, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

I'd love to try these out, but I'm in the Bay Area. If you decide to productize these, I'd be willing to pay for just the design files so I can print them myself. Saves you some work and shipping costs. Please let us know if that's an option. I'd like to pay you for the time you put into the project. It looks great!

OP
OP
Kelvn

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
great idea, I would love tat product, Have you thought about making it solid across the back, just so stuff doesn't get underneath. ?
Yes I did. But there’s already gaps on the side and on the edge near the tailgate the tailgate itself covers most of it. I also didn’t want to use too much material and I wanted to make it small enough to easily stow away.

OP
OP
Kelvn

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'd love to try these out, but I'm in the Bay Area. If you decide to productize these, I'd be willing to pay for just the design files so I can print them myself. Saves you some work and shipping costs. Please let us know if that's an option. I'd like to pay you for the time you put into the project. It looks great!
The files are open source licensed on the links in the edited first post, have at it! If you feel inclined there’s a “buy me a coffee” PayPal link.

thanks!

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The files are open source licensed on the links in the edited first post, have at it! If you feel inclined there’s a “buy me a coffee” PayPal link.

thanks!
Sounds good! I'll do that.

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Is the current version the 57" or the 62"?

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

The proposed hardware arrived about 30 minutes ago and it fits exactly like I hoped it would. There is no deflection in the hole and that slight amount of clamping force holds everything open so there isn't any floppy action. The recesses are correct, and the area for the square bolt is sized perfectly for future variation in nut size. (the initial batch "10MM" is a bit under 10. The McMaster version for future runs is true to size and isn't tapered in the corner)

Hardware needed is as follows. Each should be available commonly:
  • 2 x M6 1.0 x 55MM Bolt
  • 2 x M6 Square nut (11MM maximum diameter)

Here is what it looks like:

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 20240129_155136

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 20240129_155202

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 20240129_155152

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 20240129_155300

Regarding production and sale - I'm gunning to get the models uploaded and product on the site this evening. I've decided on just listing them, with the caveat that I've not done independent testing.

They will be priced initially at $32.95, but this will likely swing up or down depending on the amount of difficulty I'll have making them. I really would like to have them at $30, but I feel like I need a bit of a buffer until I have a decent amount of the printers and in the field.

I also want to note that I expect a running backlog of these for a bit. The take a long time to print and the larger size limits how many I can print at the same time. To combat this a bit, I'm going to hold off on advertising these exist for the time being. They won't be in the feature bar on the site, or even on the front page at all. You'll be able to search for them and I'll put a link in this thread when ready to roll. These will be shipped in the order the orders are received.

This is based off the 57MM model. From what I'm told, the 62MM setup is just slightly too high.

OP
OP
Kelvn

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The original ones in the first post are 62mm, you can see that from this angle the floor looks pretty level with the slats above the compressor door. But the 2nd and 3rd row incline a little when folded so the 57mm ones were made to get this transition a bit smoother. that's 5mm about 0.2inches of difference, with the floor measuring about 500mm (20 inches) that nets a ramp incline change of about 0.6*. Not a huge amount but should make it more flat to the 3rd and 2nd row.

As Rob has stated he has not done independent testing. And I have not been able to test out the 57mm ones just yet, but the updated 57mm height should be a better choice. if it doesn't make it any more flat compared to the 3rd row, it should still make the floor more closer to level with the ground, or zero degree with a bubble level.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5765

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution Screenshot 2024-01-29 135410

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Product order page is up: https://opensourceev.com/products/cargo-floor-riser

When we have validation it works as expected, I'll post my remix. :)

This product will likely be a featured product in the newsletter in about 8-10 days. The next one (maybe Wednesday?) is already in the bag. I'd strongly suggest that if you see this post and want one, order before then as I anticipate a long backorder afterward.

ajthejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S,‘19 Tundra 1794,‘19 XC90
Clubs

Product order page is up: https://opensourceev.com/products/cargo-floor-riser

When we have validation it works as expected, I'll post my remix. :)

This product will likely be a featured product in the newsletter in about 8-10 days. The next one (maybe Wednesday?) is already in the bag. I'd strongly suggest that if you see this post and want one, order before then as I anticipate a long backorder afterward.
@RWerksman did these go to pre order already? I didn’t even have a chance to assist in the test! 😎

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T