First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
Occupation
RN
Updated this morning when I got home from work. Woke up @2pm and opened the truck to put sunshade in the windshield, it had ~38% battery post update. My fob still wouldn’t update, so I submitted a ticket for that and received a call maybe an hour later to take care of it as well as the passenger seatbelt recall. Washed the truck to use it tomorrow before dinner and noticed the radiator shutters were cycling randomly?

After dinner I went out to plug the truck in to charge overnight and it wouldn’t unlock with the app. Key cards and fob also wouldn’t get truck to respond. Called roadside who answered and understood the issue then would call me back with a solution.

According to them, the 12v batteries decided to take a dump. As is tradition, it is Saturday night and nothing is ‘probably’ going to happen tomorrow unless someone is in the RVA SC and is feeling tenacious. Hopefully I can get mobile service out Monday before work that night, but as it sits, this could be a lot worse if I was out in the middle of nowhere.

To their credit, I was offered a rental or ride share credits. I’m optimistic this can get resolved Monday. If not, I have a motorcycle that hasn’t been getting much use since I took delivery in September, but if I didn’t update I have a feeling this wouldn’t be happening.

Update: Went for the jumper cables next to the tow hitch. That lit the rear tail lights and unlocked ONLY the driver’s side doors and mirror. Not frunk or charge door. Since I can’t open the frunk I can’t jump “secondary” 12v batteries as shown in the owner’s manual.
App still won’t lock/unlock and shows 97F inside (which it was earlier today)

Rivian R1T R1S R1T unresponsive 36F2F7CE-FE70-4540-8EAA-BD7FE41EFD23

Rivian R1T R1S R1T unresponsive 8134BD5D-71E0-469C-9DA5-4E0165B5AA9E

Rivian R1T R1S R1T unresponsive C4AD3B24-D253-44DE-8654-614254C83FFE

Rivian R1T R1S R1T unresponsive EEE792BA-40D3-42BF-BFFF-24EF4BBB51EA

Rivian R1T R1S R1T unresponsive 8BF20BE4-3533-43ED-A7EB-A4E5E71CE9CE

Rivian R1T R1S R1T unresponsive 3F160F54-954F-4200-B9C8-0BC8456E1B65
Sponsored

Last edited:

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Had similar issue post update. Bricked truck this am but couldn't even jump/charge the 12v. On its way to service center on a flat bed...

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Damn. I need to check my tonight when I get home.

Supraman16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Supra TT, Lexus ISF, Forester XT, Odyssey
Occupation
Professional
I tend to have random faults after the updates...I suspect due to the updates causing significant drainage on the 12v during the update process. Some people it likely causes the batteries to drain much too low to the point they are bricked.

I have a done numerous ECU tunes on my ICE cars, and on each of my cars I hook up a 10Amp Battery Charger during the ECU tune process to prevent my car batteries from dying.

I just wish Rivian would figure out a better way to keep their 12V batteries healthy and properly charged. Whatever algorithm they use now to have the main drive battery charge the 12V battery is not good enough.

Last edited:

krsoundtek

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Did you try the manual frunk release? Should be able to get in that way and attempt the secondary 12V jump start

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

krsoundtek

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yes that is the manual method. i think it is around page 247 in the manual.

OP
OP
68wske

68wske

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Just wanted to post an update..

I was able to hook up the secondary batteries after getting the hood released manually and panels removed. Had to wait for some ambient light to find that hood release cable. I was looking for something a bit more beefy, but it literally is just a little um.. cable.

Anyways, once hooked up, the truck did unlock the passenger side doors. Unfortunately, that’s all that was accomplished. Could be worse I guess, this could be a holiday weekend?

I was hoping that things would’ve been sorted out by yesterday. I called the RIVIAN-5 number suggested by my guide and after a short hold and filling them in, was told they’d call me back soon.

About a half an hour later, I got somewhat bad news. That they would not be able to get service to me until this Friday at 0900, so 6 days after it became unresponsive. It is what it is, but if this thing is actually 100%, or 25% or whatever’s left by then, that ain’t so bad. And they’ll fix the passenger seat recall, and my persistent fob problem.

Less than an hour after I was informed of my new service time, I got a call from enterprise for my rental. Today, I picked up a bright red Honda Ridgeline with 18xx miles on it. I really hope things are fixed on Friday though, this thing’s nice, but it’s not R1T nice.

Pdm1230

First Name
Paarin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director
What was your car's diagnosis? I just posted the below in another thread. I'm really curious as its way too coincidental that all these people had issues at the same time. Many of which with similar vin's.

Add me to the list. I have a 11xxx R1T. Monday night the car would not go into drive or reverse. After a half hour the lights all flickered and then the truck fully died. Luckily we were able to get in before it all went down, but the gear tunnel was inaccessible.

I called in to Rivian support and they sent a truck out to NJ to pick it up within 90 minutes. Probably because I was not at home when this happened, but instead at a local school. The tow company was towstar enterprises out of the city. The driver was super careful and knew what he was doing. He had to use skid plates to get the truck on the flatbed. Whole thing took 30 min from arrival to departure. I thanked him profusely for coming out at 11pm to Warren NJ from the city. He probably didn't get to the Brooklyn SC until 1am.

I finally got through to service on Friday and they claimed it was a loose connection to the 12V system. I don't really buy that because it sounds a little too coincidental with everyone else reporting similar issues. I got the truck back this morning. They also fixed a rattle and a piece of loose exterior trim. It was washed as well which was nice other than the fact I immediately drove it home in rain and snow.

I'm really nervous about taking it anywhere far until we know for sure that there's a real fix. We were just in Boston and we are really lucky this didn't happen there. We were only a few minutes away from home which made this easy.

Has anyone gotten any better answers from Brooklyn? Also, is it me or is Brooklyn entirely difficult to get In touch with? I saw they were moving my car around and charging it for days before I could get information. Even the main support line could never get through. I finally insisted they transfer me and let me sit on hold until they answered.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I just had the same thing happen today, my update was Tuesday night. Started a similar thread -

Sponsored

OP
OP
68wske

68wske

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
What was your car's diagnosis? I just posted the below in another thread. I'm really curious as its way too coincidental that all these people had issues at the same time. Many of which with similar vin's.

Add me to the list. I have a 11xxx R1T. Monday night the car would not go into drive or reverse. After a half hour the lights all flickered and then the truck fully died. Luckily we were able to get in before it all went down, but the gear tunnel was inaccessible.

I called in to Rivian support and they sent a truck out to NJ to pick it up within 90 minutes. Probably because I was not at home when this happened, but instead at a local school. The tow company was towstar enterprises out of the city. The driver was super careful and knew what he was doing. He had to use skid plates to get the truck on the flatbed. Whole thing took 30 min from arrival to departure. I thanked him profusely for coming out at 11pm to Warren NJ from the city. He probably didn't get to the Brooklyn SC until 1am.

I finally got through to service on Friday and they claimed it was a loose connection to the 12V system. I don't really buy that because it sounds a little too coincidental with everyone else reporting similar issues. I got the truck back this morning. They also fixed a rattle and a piece of loose exterior trim. It was washed as well which was nice other than the fact I immediately drove it home in rain and snow.

I'm really nervous about taking it anywhere far until we know for sure that there's a real fix. We were just in Boston and we are really lucky this didn't happen there. We were only a few minutes away from home which made this easy.

Has anyone gotten any better answers from Brooklyn? Also, is it me or is Brooklyn entirely difficult to get In touch with? I saw they were moving my car around and charging it for days before I could get information. Even the main support line could never get through. I finally insisted they transfer me and let me sit on hold until they answered.
I believe they replaced the 12v batteries. I work 7p-7a and got home yesterday morning and was in bed when service arrived. I left the bolts off from when I accessed the hood release cable to save the guy like 10mins. Funny thing is my wife said the service person told her he “could go in the hood, but just went through the back do do what he needed.”
I’m thinking maybe he tried a jump first and went into the frunk and replaced the 12v’s. The reason for me thinking this is the truck is waaay faster to wake up and unlock now. Before, I would hit unlock at home and it would take +/-10 seconds. Now it’s almost immediate. When I did get in the first time the driver's screen told me that the tpms was inop and to have the vehicle serviced immediately, but a quick drive around the block allowed the sensors to do their thing. It’s charged up now and I’ll give more info when the service ticket updates and posts what they did. As of right now it still says “scheduled” for yesterday.

OP
OP
68wske

68wske

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
The 12v were in fact removed and replaced according to the service invoice. I'm not sure if there's any indication that they're going bad until something like this happens, but it was taking a very long time to unlock. This is really the only thing that I have noticed is completely different post service. The truck unlocks in a second or two.
Sponsored