First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Consultant
Buckle up. This is going to be a long one.

My R1T Quad 2023 has been in for service for five weeks.
I started hearing clicking from the rear axles after I put the vehicle in conserve mode and lowered it to one of the two lowest heights. At that point, I can hear a clicking sound related to the speed of the vehicle. I can only hear it below about 25mph. Initially, I thought it was a rock caught in the treads. I checked the tires but didn’t find anything. After driving around, I put the vehicle back into all-purpose mode. I still heard the clicking for a bit, and it eventually faded. This got me to try different things to see what was going on. I could consistently get the clicking noise back if I put the R1T in conserve mode and the two lowest ride height settings. It would not go away while in the mode. If I put it back into all-purpose mode with ride height at normal or the lowest ride height in that mode (the second overall lowest mode), it would stay around for a bit but eventually fade. If I kept it in all-purpose mode but raised the ride height, I could get it to clicking sound to go away immediately.

Rivian service just replaced the rear clutch units. This made the clicking quieter, and it did not occur in all-purpose mode, but it is still in conserve mode.

Yesterday, I drove to the service center to get some equipment from my truck. I spoke with the tech working on the vehicle, who said they hadn’t seen anything like this before. He said the issue was unique enough that Rivian is stumped, and they will likely have to replace the entire rear drive unit. For my troubles, I left the rental car they gave me, and they gave me an R1T Qaud 2023 loaner. Last night, I was driving around in the loaner, and I wondered how much more efficient this loaner would be with the 21” all-season tires in conserve mode compared to the off-road tires on my R1T. As soon I put it into conserve mode, I started hearing the clicking noise from the rear axle. I put it back into all-purpose mode and raised the ride height. The sound immediately stopped. I put it back into conserve mode, and it immediately came back.

I’ll leave it at that, but does anyone know what’s happening here?
Sponsored

dradam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S OC LA Silver 21 as of Nov 3, 2022 !!
Sorry to hear that neighbor. I hope someone chimes in with an answer-- it could effect all of us. I have only rarly used conserve mode, but so far I have not had this experience. Please let us know if Rivian has an answer.

neocyn

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All of them
Occupation
Nerd
I’ve had my truck for two years. The mechanical clunk sound it makes switching between conserve and all purpose is unnerving.

I try not to use conserve unless I genuinely need it, and I never change modes while in motion. Longer trips are planned based on range in all purpose.

I would recommend avoiding conserve mode unless you really need it.

OP
OP
MOT

MOT

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Consultant
I should note. The clicking is not loud and easily ignored. I likely only noticed it because I have a sensitivity to sounds and having owned a Subaru STi I was constantly paranoid about any miscellaneous sound being indication of the engine, transmission, or differential about to nuke itself. Thanks for the automotive PTSD Subaru.

If the noise is nothing then I really don’t care about it but clicking it me indicates the early stages of something going south.

Somewhere out there is someone that wished paid attention to the clicking sound on their bike and removed the rookie Pete Rose card from its spokes.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I had a similar experience. The noise Rivian said was unusual happened in the loaner they gave me under the same circumstances. Replacing the rear drive shafts made my noise better, but ultimately didn't get rid of it.

I just chalked it up to being a design flaw in the quad motors. Mine has nothing to do with conserve.

Sponsored

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

I have exact same clicking sound as you described, going in for service next month, I’ll give an update once culprit is identified…

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Car Enthusiast
I hear clicking regularly. I believe it’s from the rear. I thought it was the suspension leveling itself. It usually lasts a few minutes into the drive and it stops. Sometimes during the drive I may hear it. I don’t have the suspension set to ’auto’ and use kneel mode/all purpose.

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

I haven't heard this with either of mine in conserve. I only use conserve on longer highway trips and I only switch in/out of conserve while stopped. Clicking sounds are usually axle related especially if they worsen or get better when changing the ride height. Changing the height of course changes the orientation of the axles. Please let us know what they replace and if that fixes your issue.

PS ....don't feel bad about the PTSD...my wife and daughter say I have Rivian induced OCD 😂

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I rarely use Conserve and it's only in Auto height (so low not lowest setting). On a Quad with ATs, chewing through $400 tires for only an additional 18ish miles on a normal charge isn't worth it. When I do use it, I only engage/disengage once on the highway, and never under a load. Additionally, when in Conserve, it handles like marshmallow on a hot griddle...

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I hear clicking regularly. I believe it’s from the rear. I thought it was the suspension leveling itself. It usually lasts a few minutes into the drive and it stops. Sometimes during the drive I may hear it. I don’t have the suspension set to ’auto’ and use kneel mode/all purpose.
I believe what you are hearing is different from OP. Clicking on start of trip and/or changing ride height is typical and usually normal. It should stop after a few seconds to a minute or so and seem somewhat random. If it does it a lot more than that and you have not changed height, you may have a suspension air leak.

OP’s issue appear to be related to rotation of the rear drive train.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve had my truck for two years. The mechanical clunk sound it makes switching between conserve and all purpose is unnerving.

I try not to use conserve unless I genuinely need it, and I never change modes while in motion. Longer trips are planned based on range in all purpose.

I would recommend avoiding conserve mode unless you really need it.
The mechanical clunk is normal. There is a mechanical clutch made by Aamsted for each of the rear half shafts. It uses electromagnetic technology. Clunk.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

I believe what you are hearing is different from OP. Clicking on start of trip and/or changing ride height is typical and usually normal. It should stop after a few seconds to a minute or so and seem somewhat random. If it does it a lot more than that and you have not changed height, you may have a suspension air leak.
I thought I read a while ago about people having clicking and half-shafts and a recall or some other noise. I usually have random clicks - not speed related, but more like suspension articulation/action related - for the first few (5-10) minutes of a drive. I thought it was nothing, but then my Rivian OCD kicked in a week or two ago and I put in a ticket. It's not bothersome, but I really would like to know if a driveshaft thingee is going to explode and make a dent that will total my R1S. I hate to put in a ticket for nonsense, but the line between nonsense and a total drivetrain replacement is not often clear and well-defined.

neocyn

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All of them
Occupation
Nerd
The mechanical clunk is normal. There is a mechanical clutch made by Aamsted for each of the rear half shafts. It uses electromagnetic technology. Clunk.
Good to know. Ive driven manual vehicles most of my life (also, miss it) and I never heard a clutch make a sound like that.

OP
OP
MOT

MOT

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Consultant
To clarify this issue is related to speed/RPM and is not the air suspension adjusting.

Below is the message I sent to Rivian service this morning. I'll follow up when I have more information.
----
Thank you for providing me with a loaner R1T. I wanted to inform you that the loaner R1T has the same issue as my vehicle. When I put it in Conserve mode, the clicking starts. When I put it into All-Purpose mode, the clicking sometimes disappears or fades but will stop if I raise the suspension setting to the highest setting in All-Purpose mode. The issue reoccurs as soon as I put it back into Conserve mode.

If this is a systemic issue with quad motor vehicles that Rivian can not resolve, I can take my truck back without a resolution. If this is the case, I request that Rivian provide extended coverage for problems resulting from this unresolved issue.

Reactions: IGR

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

You had me concerned now, unresolvable issues with QM is not what I wanted to hear this morning. I hope there is a fix for this
Sponsored