First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
My twraps phone charger pad (over the built in charging pad) is always plugged in and has no effect at all on the reset. I’ve used each type of reset several times…
There probably has to be some level of draw if that restriction is legitimate. Maybe a dashcam would stop the sleep
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
My truck doesn't do the two outer button reset. It doesn't work. You can hold the two buttons forever and it will just switch the modes on the left side, like it isn't picking up the press of the right button.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
It was the reason it wasnt sleeping. That's a bit crazy, hopefully they fix that.
This isn't something they are going to fix. This is exactly how it is supposed to work. If the seat belt is latched, the occupancy detection system prevents the vehicle from sleeping. This allows convenience systems, like the radio, and safety systems, like HVAC, to stay active.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
This isn't something they are going to fix. This is exactly how it is supposed to work. If the seat belt is latched, the occupancy detection system prevents the vehicle from sleeping. This allows convenience systems, like the radio, and safety systems, like HVAC, to stay active.
I understand your opinion but I don't agree.

There are a LOT of ICE vehicles and none of them do that. And there are many EV manufacturers like Tesla that do not do that (not sure if any have this odd behavior). If they wanted to do it more correctly weight plus latch perhaps. But if you strap in gear, dog carriers etc its going to burn down your battery. IF you want the car to stay on it should do that based on your settings in the car (pet mode etc).

Minimally they should warn you by the app if its awake and locked without you explicitly telling it to do that. Like "did you leave someone in the car, keeping car awake just in case" or something.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Umm no.
Ever heard of a car seat?

And before you say that is what LATCH is for, there are certain safety recommendations regarding weight and orientation that may require the use of a seat belt vs the LATCH for the base.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understand your opinion but I don't agree.

There are a LOT of ICE vehicles and none of them do that. And there are many EV manufacturers like Tesla that do not do that (not sure if any have this odd behavior). If they wanted to do it more correctly weight plus latch perhaps. But if you strap in gear, dog carriers etc its going to burn down your battery. IF you want the car to stay on it should do that based on your settings in the car (pet mode etc).

Minimally they should warn you by the app if its awake and locked without you explicitly telling it to do that. Like "did you leave someone in the car, keeping car awake just in case" or something.
You can disagree all you want, but my statement is not my opinion. It is a fact that this behavior is by design. What you are experiencing is expected. There is nothing to fix.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Umm no.
Ever heard of a car seat?

And before you say that is what LATCH is for, there are certain safety recommendations regarding weight and orientation that may require the use of a seat belt vs the LATCH for the base.
This is how Rivian designed it. Not my fault, just educating.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You can disagree all you want, but my statement is not my opinion. It is a fact that this behavior is by design. What you are experiencing is expected. There is nothing to fix.
But it IS your opinion being stated as fact that since it was designed that way it can’t be changed.
Even if they designed it that way it is completely possible for them to take a common use application that they obviously overlooked and issue a fix/change/update.

They may not and I’m all for “educating” but to say they won’t and there is nothing to change is asinine just because it doesn’t effect you.
A lot of wasted energy and disgruntled families in the future knowing that a buckled in car seat base (one example) is draining their battery at all hours of the day.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But it IS your opinion being stated as fact that since it was designed that way it can’t be changed.
Even if they designed it that way it is completely possible for them to take a common use application that they obviously overlooked and issue a fix/change/update.

They may not and I’m all for “educating” but to say they won’t and there is nothing to change is asinine just because it doesn’t effect you.
A lot of wasted energy and disgruntled families in the future knowing that a buckled in car seat base (one example) is draining their battery at all hours of the day.
I never said it can't be changed. I said it is unlikely to because it is operating as intended. Most manufacturers aren't in the habit of changing things that work as designed.

Additionally, you continue to mention car seats, but car seats don't go in the front seats. And that's what we were talking about here.

And I never said it didn't affect me.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I never said it can't be changed. I said it is unlikely to because it is operating as intended. Most manufacturers aren't in the habit of changing things that work as designed.

Additionally, you continue to mention car seats, but car seats don't go in the front seats. And that's what we were talking about here.

And I never said it didn't affect me.
“This isn’t something they are going to fix”
I guess that means “unlikely”?

Glad for the clarification on it only being front seats, that would have been a helpful distinction out the gate considering it was a question on another thread as well and I have not seen this answer until now. TY

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Glad for the clarification on it only being front seats, that would have been a helpful distinction out the gate considering it was a question on another thread as well and I have not seen this answer until now. TY
Sorry for the confusion, but the post from @the_mace that I replied to clearly called out the front passenger seat as being the issue.

Add yes, it is unlikely that they 'fix' something that isn't 'broken'...

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
This is how Rivian designed it. Not my fault, just educating.
Understand, but designs can be wrong. The navigation is working by design but also is flawed.

Anyway, my point is that I think the behavior (intentional or not) was not a good choice and I don't believe they're forced into that choice given that there are no other known examples of car companies doing this.

But its all opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs, just not a fan of the choice but not a deal breaker. Just have to watch for it.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO

Actually the manual (and only the R1S one) mentions this behavior in the second and third row seat sections but the statement is generic enough that you could interpret it to be any seat belt. I'd guess its all seat belts given its in those other sections so car and pet seats (which can go front or back) would be affected depending on your childs age etc.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Also the lack of cruise control resume (another annoyance for me) is by design. Was that the right choice? Again i've never seen a car without it and its annoying to me not to have it. Right wheel press in seems free and could be an option if they wanted to add it but not if they think their design is right and nobody needs to resume cruise ever.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Well, on day 2 of ownership, I got my first software gremlin. I went to a Volta DCFC to confirm that DCFC was working and charged to 85%. On the drive back, I tried to use adaptive cruise control on surface streets and received an error message stating that Adaptive Cruise control was not available until the vehicle was serviced ... GRRR ... it had worked earlier. I stopped at the grocery store to try my luck at Powerball and Megamillions (LOL) and before going into the store, I performed a Vehicle Reset. The reset process looked like it was working fine, screens went blank. Percent counted up to 100%, during which HVAC turned off, lots of various clicking sounds, screens came on, music resumed. Thought everything was great. Then all the screens shut off. I pressed the brake and tried to put the vehicle in gear, screens stayed black and got a warning tone. GRRR again! I then went into the store, got my tickets and when I came back everything was normal and Adaptive Cruise was working again. I'm on .18 FW and still waiting for the next update.
Sponsored