IT

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
When my vehicle was delivered a couple of weeks ago, I was told that once a redesigned cover was released, it would be installed free of charge.... ?
Rivian is only going to provide redesigned tonneau covers for those that had the original one installed when delivered. Like everything else it’s covered by the warranty.

pticknerco

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Chevy Duramax, Mazda CX5
Something needs to happen for those of us who have our trucks and our tonneaus don't work. Mine made horrible clunking noises at delivery, and stopped about a week later. I've had my truck for about 9 months, and the cover has definitely taken away from my experience. I've tried all the lube tricks, to no avail. If I really need it to open, I have to stand on the gear tunnel door and push down hard on the center of the slats just as they are disappearing. I don't know how that design was ever approved. It sucked from day one.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Something needs to happen for those of us who have our trucks and our tonneaus don't work.
they will be replacing it when the new design is completed.

pticknerco

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Chevy Duramax, Mazda CX5
they will be replacing it when the new design is completed.
Yes, that's what they tell me, but no mention of when. Again, I've been dealing with it for almost 9 months. I have one on my Duramax that is 10 years old and opens flawlessly (and often). While I appreciate the vast majority of the engineering that has gone into my R1T, again I'm amazed that something so poorly engineered made it to production.

Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
I guess my point with the level of effort is that it is probably going to be costly to have them install a powered Tonneau cover after the fact. I am including two pictures....you can see how the shelf is set up for the cover...which is where I assume the manual one fits as well. I would be that the wiring harness is already in place (comes up the side of the bed) on all trucks. And as you can see in the second picture, the tonneau cover is fully self-contained, including the motor, so it just plugs into the pigtail.

Bed.jpg

cover.jpg
What are the chances that these are one of the ways that water is ending up in the truck frame? Especially a heavy rain with tonneau closed and parked facing downhill, that could be enough water to overwhelm smaller drainage ports. (Also wonder if those vents are their to help dry the tonneau bay.)
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Email: Update on the Tonneau Cover for Your R1T 1670966909217

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
What are the chances that these are one of the ways that water is ending up in the truck frame? Especially a heavy rain with tonneau closed and parked facing downhill, that could be enough water to overwhelm smaller drainage ports. (Also wonder if those vents are their to help dry the tonneau bay.)
1670966909217.png
Those vents are to vent the cabin. It also vents out the door handles.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Those vents are to vent the cabin. It also vents out the door handles.
Those are the typical air outlets every vehicle has. When the HVAC system is bringing in air, it has to go somewhere, and when a door is closed the pressure wave exits through these one way vents. They’re in a similar location in most pickups, and on a sedan or similar they’re usually hidden behind the sides of the rear bumper cover.

it would make sense water is getting in through there if it becomes the low point. The tonneau cover compartment seems to have drains similar to sunroof drains, or those of a convertible top‘s storage well.

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
And my guide said the exact opposite. I had a VIN, and was going through the eight steps. Then she said it would not have the rails to support any cover, ever. So I had her add the manual tonneau cover back (which they had removed without even checking with me) and now I’m back to square one. No VIN, no delivery estimate, and my steps that I completed have all disappeared.
After I confirmed my pre-order last month, I had a short talk with my guide and he told me that the tonneau option changes the VIN. I am guessing that is what happened to you after you added the manual tonneau cover as they need to assign you a different VIN.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Those are the typical air outlets every vehicle has. When the HVAC system is bringing in air, it has to go somewhere, and when a door is closed the pressure wave exits through these one way vents. They’re in a similar location in most pickups, and on a sedan or similar they’re usually hidden behind the sides of the rear bumper cover.

it would make sense water is getting in through there if it becomes the low point. The tonneau cover compartment seems to have drains similar to sunroof drains, or those of a convertible top‘s storage well.
Can't have air come in without it going out... unless you pressurize the cabin. Venting here would help dry the tonneau bay but it seems like they go down pretty low and could become the low point especially if drains get clogged or overwhelmed with water.

Sponsored

SCV-Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Chevy Colorado, Honda Accord
Occupation
Sales
After I confirmed my pre-order last month, I had a short talk with my guide and he told me that the tonneau option changes the VIN. I am guessing that is what happened to you after you added the manual tonneau cover as they need to assign you a different VIN.
Thanks for the input. I just wish Rivian would be a little more communicative about these things. Still crickets from them.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
My guess is they never intended on producing one, but the powered cover having so many issues forced their hand into having something else available.
Hasn't the manual cover always been an option? I swore I chose the manual cover back when I originally reserved in 2021?

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Hasn't the manual cover always been an option? I swore I chose the manual cover back when I originally reserved in 2021?
Yes, it’s been there from at least March 2022. I originally spec’s it but gave up when it seemed manual tonneau and max pack were on the same timeline.

But talking about intent, it’s hard to say if they did plan to produce a manual or just force an upsell. Hell, if it actually worked, I’d gulp hard and pay the extra.

Perhaps the combination of the POS “automatic” and enough holdouts, the market called their bluff. I’m sitting here almost 2-weeks after my config confirmation and guide telling me “it’s in production” while others with automatic (albeit neutered) or no tonneau are getting VIN’s in a few days and starting 8-steps in less than a week. But I think Rivian warned us to expect the manual cover would come later…

Has anyone taken delivery of an R1-T spec’d with manual yet?

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Yes, it’s been there from at least March 2022. I originally spec’s it but gave up when it seemed manual tonneau and max pack were on the same timeline.

But talking about intent, it’s hard to say if they did plan to produce a manual or just force an upsell. Hell, if it actually worked, I’d gulp hard and pay the extra.

Perhaps the combination of the POS “automatic” and enough holdouts, the market called their bluff. I’m sitting here almost 2-weeks after my config confirmation and guide telling me “it’s in production” while others with automatic (albeit neutered) or no tonneau are getting VIN’s in a few days and starting 8-steps in less than a week. But I think Rivian warned us to expect the manual cover would come later…

Has anyone taken delivery of an R1-T spec’d with manual yet?
Yes, plenty of folks have taken it spec'd with the manual, but it does not come with the cover yet. The cover will ship later.

Right now almost all deliveries at spec'd with the manual config (rails in the bed to accept a manual cover at a later date). Even if you are spec'd no tonneau right now you still get the manual config. Spec'd auto cover, yep, you're getting manual.