"Rivian orders placed after 20% price hike appear to jump the line"

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
I suggest giving it a week and then contacting Rivian to complain that your order has not been handled according to their announced criteria.
I have since gotten my truck, but it was clearly evident in 22', I had to wait 6 months longer than some people in my city (San Diego) who only had to wait months and not almost 2 years. I contacted them when it was happening and they just shrugged their shoulders and did nothing. Just go look at the order sheet on the forum and you can see when people placed orders and received their trucks in areas like Los Angeles, Orange County area, and San Diego, it happened on several occasions and the excuse as to SC proximity is meaningless, we can assume other reasons but I was specifically replying to the SC excuse (it can be a reason for some) but its not a blanket excuse.
Sponsored

rlawsoncrew

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Farmer
Everyone already knew this was happening so why does this “article” suddenly appear trying to stir things up and create outrage?

• Rivian never at any time promised anyone that orders would be delivered in the order they were placed. This happens due to batching and it happens (probably) due to pricing and it happens due to location of the order.
  • (IF they are doing this) it is honestly the smartest move Rivian could make to help their bottom line. They are losing massive amounts of money on the early priced vehicles.
  • We are lucky there is even such a thing as early pricing. Rivian did not have to offer that to us. Ford has raised Lightning prices 4 times already.
  • Do the authors of this “article” monitor the delivery queue of other manufacturers? If Ford or Tesla or GM deliver an EV out of order are they on the case? 🤔
They weren't being nice by extending early pricing. Their stock got slaughtered due to the fact that they had misled their investors and their customers about pricing in order to get a successful IPO. Their customers were also bolting for the door. It's all about the stock. This will be their downfall. They are trying to please the Market instead of their customers.

rlawsoncrew

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Farmer
I have since gotten my truck, but it was clearly evident in 22', I had to wait 6 months longer than some people in my city (San Diego) who only had to wait months and not almost 2 years. I contacted them when it was happening and they just shrugged their shoulders and did nothing. Just go look at the order sheet on the forum and you can see when people placed orders and received their trucks in areas like Los Angeles, Orange County area, and San Diego, it happened on several occasions and the excuse as to SC proximity is meaningless, we can assume other reasons but I was specifically replying to the SC excuse (it can be a reason for some) but its not a blanket excuse.
Right!

rlawsoncrew

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Farmer
No no no. That is not how journalism works.
Clearly this is all the data we need to write an article to make it seem like the world is falling down and everyone is pissed.
I am. More than a bit. They think their playing chess but they have lost the good will of many early adopters/supporters. Pre order 2/3/19 Launch Edition

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
They weren't being nice by extending early pricing. Their stock got slaughtered due to the fact that they had misled their investors and their customers about pricing in order to get a successful IPO. Their customers were also bolting for the door. It's all about the stock. This will be their downfall. They are trying to please the Market instead of their customers.
So where is the evidence of exactly how many cancellations they had? Even here on the forum it was impossible to tell. Do you think investors care more about pre-order customers being happy or the company actually making a profit on each vehicle? When Tesla, Ford, GM, Kia, Hyundai raise prices they plow forward. Rivian could have just the same. Some people cancel - others don’t. New customers place orders.

You say they were/ are trying to “please” the market instead of their customers, but the company making money is what would please the market and investors. The quickest way there is to raise prices and lower costs. An argument could be made it wasn’t the actual price increase that hurt their stock, rather the poor communication and handling of it. If what you say is true then reversing the increase would have seen the stock price go back up to where it was before the announcement, correct? It didn’t. They reversed it and it pleased their customers but not the market/ investors.

Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
My pre-price hike order moved up several months, so my order doesn't fit the picture painted by the MSN article.

I probably won't even buy it now though, so Rivian will come out ahead by selling it for full price to someone else when I pass.

GooniesNeverSayDie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xterra, CX-5
I am. More than a bit. They think their playing chess but they have lost the good will of many early adopters/supporters. Pre order 2/3/19 Launch Edition
This 1000x. I loved Rivian and was singing their praises to everyone but after being bumped a third time and seeing dual motors now in line ahead of me I am just pissed off about it. You have been waiting longer than me so you def have more reason to be angry. Hopefully, my anger will subside with time but if I start seeing dual motor trucks driving around while I am still waiting that is definitely not going to make things better.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I don't think we have anywhere near enough information to determine Rivian's true path and motivation when it comes to order fulfillment.

We don't know if Rivian is using a short-term strategy, long-term strategy, a balanced mix, or simply reacting.

Short-term is the article's (and many posters') speculation that Rivian is fulfilling new higher price orders first to maximize profit per vehicle now. The downside to this is that the early reservation holders who remain become a bigger liability as time goes on if cost to manufacture each vehicle goes up.

Long-term could be fulfilling early adopter orders first to maintain the best possible margin / lose the least on them while allowing the newer orders without fixed pricing to adjust with economic conditions. This allows for raw material price increases or cost of design and manufacturing improvements to be rolled into the price of the new, adjustable pricing structure.

Maybe they are trying to balance both in some kind of mix.

There is also the possibility that they are simply reacting to materials and parts availability and producing what they can when they can.

Given the data we're seeing my guess it's a combination of balanced mix and reaction... along with a dose of wanting to get the in-house Enduro motors in production. I'm assuming there is extra profit (and efficiency) in the Enduro motors and I wouldn't be surprised if they plan to abandon the Bosch motors as quickly as they can. I could see a scenario where original-price early adopters could receive an Enduro Quad which has output and range limited to what they'd get with the Bosch Quad, possibly with the ability to unlock more by paying for it. I think Tesla did this with some of the shorter range entry level models where the battery pack was physically the same but they limited it to emulate the characteristics of a smaller pack. If they can manufacture enough of the Enduros to meet demand and at a lower price than buying from Bosch then this would make a lot of sense.

New pricing orders could then get the Enduro Quad at whatever the existing price is or an Enduro Quad Enhanced (or whatever) for an upgrade fee. Of course I'm just guessing about all of this...

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I definitely got skipped over for post price increase orders as people from this very forum confirmed (delivery tracking sheet), we were equal distances from a SC so there was definitely something more going on than just the SC proximity giving way to priority.
Really? Really? From the delivery tracking sheet, the numbers you entered show that you got your R1T Adventure sooner than others who were in front of you in line, and that yours was delivered at the very beginning of your delivery window. That doesn't sound to me like Rivian screwed you over.

I have a Launch Edition R1T ordered before you but delivered more than a month after you. You should have received your R1T after all the LE customers and after all the Adventure customers from 2018 and 2019 and from the first 10 months of 2020.

While some like Kyle may have jumped the line, it's not true that those few delayed your order in any way, because in the end you got yours sooner than expected. The changes Rivian has made since introducing the shop last year have greatly improved the line keeping.

but it was clearly evident in 22', I had to wait 6 months longer than some people in my city (San Diego) who only had to wait months and not almost 2 years
Again, Really? You got yours in Aug 2022. Six months before that was February, which was before Rivian began shipping in quantity to customers and before the price hike. That means ALL the anecdotal evidence you're implying is for pre-price increase orders, so there's no way that what you think of as exceptions can be attributed to Rivian prioritizing post-price increase orders.

Bottom line, your VIN is probably 10k or less, but you most certainly are NOT one of the first 10k orders, and you didn't even have an LE order. You knew when you placed your order that you were way down the list, and you ended up getting your order sooner than you should have expected it, knowing what you should have known when you placed your order. I certainly knew when I placed my order that I wouldn't see it before summer 2022, and you should have expected to wait longer than me because you didn't have an LE which were supposed to be first. So much for your "proof" that the linked story is correct. It's all based on people with demonstrably false expectations acting entitled when they "appear" to have been wronged, which just leads to more whining.

Last edited:

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Really? Really? From the delivery tracking sheet, the numbers you entered show that you got your R1T Adventure sooner than others who were in front of you in line, and that yours was delivered at the very beginning of your delivery window. That doesn't sound to me like Rivian screwed you over.

I have a Launch Edition R1T ordered before you but delivered more than a month after you. You should have received your R1T after all the LE customers and after all the Adventure customers from 2018 and 2019 and from the first 10 months of 2020.

While some like Kyle may have jumped the line, it's not true that those few delayed your order in any way, because in the end you got yours sooner than expected. The changes Rivian has made since introducing the shop last year have greatly improved the line keeping.
Thanks for validating my point that SC proximity is an often used excuse that doesn't born out in reality. Would you like me to point out all those that had 22' order dates and received orders in 22' to further validate my point? Just because I was put ahead of others (btw I go mine bc I had access to the store and saw my exact config minus a spare tire!!!) doesnt devalidate my point that the SC proximity excuse is BS for certain situations and that I did get skipped. Me skipping others only validates that entire point.

Sponsored

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8

I had a pre order date of Nov 2020.... I just missed the LE by a few days, if any Adventure was to be delivered in the SoCal region I'd have a claim to it, and the original reason I had my order was because I originally had a Max Pack order. Btw that delivery window was an updated window, guess you've forgotten the moving goal posts that Rivian has continued.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
SC proximity is an often used excuse that doesn't born out in reality
Service center location is a big problem due to state laws. And BTW your "location" has always been a factor explicitly listed by Rivian as something that affects your delivery window. Read the agreement you signed when you made your pre-order. Rivian tried to ignore service center proximity early on, but that didn't work, so when they sent out the new delivery windows over the summer they did indeed push some orders back because of location, and they have continued to struggle with that, although by all indications things are much improved over the past six months.

In your case, service center location has nothing to do with anything - you should have expected yours no sooner than Q4 2022, or probably after, based on what everyone knew back in Nov 2020. You were not delayed, you got yours sooner than expected BECAUSE Rivian introduced the shop as a way to appease people who were tied of waiting.

Last edited:

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

I had a pre order date of Nov 2020.... I just missed the LE by a few days, if any Adventure was to be delivered in the SoCal region I'd have a claim to it, and the original reason I had my order was because I originally had a Max Pack order. Btw that delivery window was an updated window, guess you've forgotten the moving goal posts that Rivian has continued.
When did you switch to Large pack? It can take months for you to be bumped up in line after switching from Max, giving an opportunity for those with your exact config to get theirs before you despite ordering later.

Another theory is that’s because (1) their config was different from yours, (2) they already confirmed and had a guide assigned, and (3) there was a truck at the SC that matched their config exactly and didn’t get delivered for whatever reason. If duration between VIN assignment and 8 steps was short, then they got matched with an already existing build, and if 8-steps to delivery was short, then the truck was already at the SC. This is how some people got their truck within weeks of getting matched with a vin. Basically, If your truck was built-to-order and shipped by rail from factory, that’s an instant 2+ month delay vs someone who got matched with a truck already at the SC.

Last edited:

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Service center location is a big problem due to state laws. And BTW your "location" has always been a factor explicitly listed by Rivian as something that affects your delivery window. Read the agreement you signed when you made your pre-order. Rivian tried to ignore service center proximity early on, but that didn't work, so when they sent out the new delivery windows over the summer they did indeed push some orders back because of location, and they have continued to struggle with that, although by all indications things are much improved over the past six months.

In your case, service center location has nothing to do with anything - you should have expected yours no sooner than Q4 2022, and probably look after, based on what everyone knew back in Nov 2020. You were not delayed, you got yours sooner than expected BECAUSE Rivian introduced the shop as a way to appease people who were tied of waiting.
Explain to me why someone in San Diego who ordered their Rivian R1T Adventure in 2022 takes delivery of their truck before someone who ordered with Rivian R1T Adventure in 2020 and that's not pushing out my delivery? And at that time I had the same configuration as that person minus rims!!!!

The answer is you can't. There are several other people in a similar situation as mine, where those who ordered after someone else received their truck in a similar area, so again, the service center excuse falls on deaf ears. Let me know of another explanation please?

Please let me know if we're lying here, Rivian has fungled up their ordering system so often it's laughable. And if you look back to my original email of delivery estimates when placing said order they missed everyone's mark. Again the delivery window listed was the "updated" window, after how many updates do we say they missed their window?

So you're trying to say there are other people who were more screwed over than me? Shocker!!! I don't discredit those individuals nor claim I'm "the most screwed over" early order. Those examples only further exemplifies my point..... Service center locations is not the sole reason people like me were passed over, nor others were passed over behind me, these things are not mutually exclusive. None of your points invalidates my points, not sure why you take such issue with my claim I feel passed over (as I was). The whole point of my original post was to point out the BS that is the excuse that service center locations are the reason certain people were passed out. I have proof that was not the case in my situation... not the claim that "i was the most screwed over" early order person or that someone else wasn't in a worse situation as me.... the cases which you posted were actual validating my point. It's a race to the bottom who was screwed over most.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I had a pre order date of Nov 2020.... I just missed the LE by a few days, if any Adventure was to be delivered in the SoCal region I'd have a claim to it, and the original reason I had my order was because I originally had a Max Pack order. Btw that delivery window was an updated window, guess you've forgotten the moving goal posts that Rivian has continued
Oh, now it comes out. Talk about "moving goal posts"! You had a Max pack and at some point you switched. Left out that little detail didn't we, as if it were something that wasn't relevant to your delivery date? Regardless, you were not entitled to the first Adventure in your area because there were thousands of Adventure orders from 2018, 2019, and 2020 ahead of you. If you switched from Max to Large, then your delivery window improved, not the other way around.

You got your R1T earlier than expected in any case, so stop playing the martyr.
Sponsored