Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I like this patent, but after seeing how the liftgate has issues opening and closing automatically with when parked on small slopes, I don’t see how well this will work for current R1S models.
Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Quite often, while working on brainstorming, concepts, or tangential projects, tech companies stumble upon great ideas like these. It doesn't mean they're necessarily taking steps to make them a reality--it simply means they believe there's enough innovation to be potentially valuable and they want to protect the IP before someone else makes profits from it.

I've worked for 3 different companies that had patents in their books they didn't intend to ever use. They either wanted to prevent other companies from using the technology, or more often, they wanted to license the innovation (read: make money doing nothing but 'allowing' others to make the thing, where they get a kickback of the profits).

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Quite often, while working on brainstorming, concepts, or tangential projects, tech companies stumble upon great ideas like these. It doesn't mean they're necessarily taking steps to make them a reality--it simply means they believe there's enough innovation to be potentially valuable and they want to protect the IP before someone else makes profits from it.

I've worked for 3 different companies that had patents in their books they didn't intend to ever use. They either wanted to prevent other companies from using the technology, or more often, they wanted to license the innovation (read: make money doing nothing but 'allowing' others to make the thing, where they get a kickback of the profits).
Perhaps also something "on the drawing board" for the R2? Like, in line with what you're saying, they could be exploring potential options/features of an R2, whose size might make an onboard spare difficult/prohibitive to implement?

Sorry, you know how I get around R2 rumors or anything that I can interpret as an R2 rumor...

Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
EVs take so many nails that a full size spare would be a welcome option, along with a real jack. Bring it to market, please.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Perhaps also something "on the drawing board" for the R2? Like, in line with what you're saying, they could be exploring potential options/features of an R2, whose size might make an onboard spare difficult/prohibitive to implement?

Sorry, you know how I get around R2 rumors or anything that I can interpret as an R2 rumor...
Hopefully!

I don't have any inside knowledge; I was just backing-up a lot of other commenters making conjecture regarding whether or not these will see the light of day.

It really is up to Rivian what they want to do with this. I DO think it'd be pretty awesome!

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
EVs take so many nails that a full size spare would be a welcome option, along with a real jack. Bring it to market, please.
OK, I'll bite. Why do "EVs" take so many nails? In our household that certainly hasn't been the case, but I realize that the plural of anecdote =/=evidence.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
OK, I'll bite. Why do "EVs" take so many nails? In our household that certainly hasn't been the case, but I realize that the plural of anecdote =/=evidence.
It’s all the batteries, duh. They’re giant magnets that attract nails. 🤣🤣

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Wouldn't this block the rear camera? Not sure if I would trade a full spare and trash bin and missing the rear view camera.

Sponsored

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I don’t see how it gives good access to the cargo room…does it swing out or down to get access to it?

tragicmonkey049

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Adventure; 2019 Toyo Prius
Occupation
Curmudgeon
I'd like to see them include 007 options - UI controlled tear gas and smoke cannisters, oil slick cannister, etc. If Tesla is making the CT "bulletproof" why can't we have some cool covert stuff too?

"Alexa, activate the smoke screen"
Integrated sparkler gun. If an ICE owner rolls coal on us, we can tap the accelerator to blast by them and tell Alexa: "Roll Sparks!"

😁🎇 🛻💨

Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

Integrated Tesla coil. "Roll Coil"

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Really makes me think R2 will have the tire on the back.
Sponsored