Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I did clear window "tint" on my Tesla windshield, and the improvement was nearly as good as a sun shade. Inside temps were nearly as cool as using the shade. But it also worked while driving, and didn't need to be put on (remembered) every time. I will never own a car without windshield film again. My used R1T came with it.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Does it really make a difference? I have seen some use these and have lived in Florida all of my life (sorry) but have never had one or used one to know the difference. I crack the windows and cool the cabin via the app and that works for me; prove me wrong.
Yes, it makes a huge difference. You can use the cabin temp display to prove this to yourself.

yetti96

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad w/ Large Compass Yellow, 2019 BMW i3
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes, it makes a huge difference. You can use the cabin temp display to prove this to yourself.
I understand it can show me the temp, but the peak temp is slower or it takes longer to get to the same temp? I park in a lot for say 6-10 hours, can I expect it to still get to the same highest temp over that long of a time?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I understand it can show me the temp, but the peak temp is slower or it takes longer to get to the same temp? I park in a lot for say 6-10 hours, can I expect it to still get to the same highest temp over that long of a time?
The difference is when you have the sun shade for the windshield, the heat transfer rate decreases significantly. Since the vehicle is a heat sink, over time it will reach some equilibrium temperature between the total heat transfer between the radiation-conduction-convection heat transfer versus the outside temperature.

In other words, the vehicle will reach some high interior temperature with or without the sunshade, but with sunshade, the terminal temperature is lower than without. This is due to less radiation heat transfer than without the sunshade. There is nothing to prevent the conduction heat transfer into the cabin. The conduction heat transfer is mostly from the exterior color and heated glass (windows-roof-windshield)

Clearly, over a period of 6~10 hours, sun position and exposure angle will make a huge difference on the ultimate cabin temperature too, since the radiation value changes. As the outside cools, heat transfers from the vehicle to ambient environment.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I haven't had the Rivian long enough to know what it does. With the Tesla, in Phoenix summer heat, it would get to over 150 very quickly. With the windshield film or with a reflective shade, it would only go to around 120.

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I haven't used a car shade since I was in college and used to park my vehicle and a lot for an entire week all year, but if I were to buy one today for the Rivian I think it should be mandatory to get one like the cars eyes....

Gven for Tesla Model 3 Sunshade for Tesla Model Y Windshield Sunshade 2016-2024 Car Shade Front Window Shade Double Layer Blocks UV Rays Sun Visor Protector 100% Cover (Blue Eyes) https://a.co/d/bjwiyjm

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Sunshade 1000015138

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I did clear window "tint" on my Tesla windshield, and the improvement was nearly as good as a sun shade. Inside temps were nearly as cool as using the shade. But it also worked while driving, and didn't need to be put on (remembered) every time. I will never own a car without windshield film again. My used R1T came with it.
I have film on the windshield but I also use a shade when parked (during the warmer months).

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I have film on the windshield but I also use a shade when parked (during the warmer months).
I measured nearly no improvement with this in the Tesla. I don't recall the actual numbers, but something like 90% improvement with the film and 10% more with the shade. Not anything noticeable at all.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

To me the news here is that Rivian is offering the sunshade, this is new right?

https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/rivian-sunshade

It looks like higher quality material than you typical Walmart tin foil contraption, may be worth the price. In fact for R1S owners they should be lobbying for a whole set of these, be great for camping year round.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I measured nearly no improvement with this in the Tesla. I don't recall the actual numbers, but something like 90% improvement with the film and 10% more with the shade. Not anything noticeable at all.
I haven't bothered to try to quantify the difference but the improvement is so much more than just noticeable that I haven't needed measurements to justify using a shade in addition to the film.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
To me the news here is that Rivian is offering the sunshade, this is new right?

https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/rivian-sunshade

It looks like higher quality material than you typical Walmart tin foil contraption, may be worth the price. In fact for R1S owners they should be lobbying for a whole set of these, be great for camping year round.

Yes. It's new. Heatshieldstore.com does make a full set for the R1S and R1T.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

JoeGiul

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Investor
What level of tint? I'm in South Florida and the heat through the windows is barely tolerable. We did put the panels up for the roof.

Any recs for a tint shop in the Boca/N Broward area?

Tango001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Anyone have issues with cracking their sunroof using reflective shades like the heatshield in really hot climates? The idea makes me a little nervous, seems like it may not be as tough of glass as the windshield.
Sponsored