First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Discount Tire is going to swap the 275/65/20 KO3s with 2300 miles on them with a new set of 275/60/20 KO2s free of charge. This will put the KO2s right near the original 275/55/21 size set and I can avoid the whole recalibration in general. This change decreases the total diameter of the tires by only 1/2"-3/4". Its worth a shot.
But Rivian is agreeing and submitting my arguments of receiving miscommunication and direction from the service teams over the last month or so to the higher ups. Chat discussions and conversations are being pulled and phone call recordings are also being pulled to prove they were in the wrong telling me I can purchase these aftermarket wheels and tires and also have the truck recalibrated to get better range and efficiency readings like close to factory.
Speed isnt the concern here like everyone thinks. Thats not the issue at all. Its the range.
Using 160+ miles of range when only driving 100 miles. One person, no gear or payload during the week everyday. It adds up quick and I cannot take long road trips right now.
If this is the case, there is a good change I can be refunded for the entire purchase amount.
End of story. Thats where I leave this thread.
Good luck getting better efficiency on ko2s from 3s
Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Because the old wheels and tires I had were 275/55/21 road tires vs the new wheels and tires 275/65/20 all terrain tires so a 1.5" increase in diameter and higher rolling resistance. The new tires are also heavier and have a higher load/speed rating for better off road performance. So the computer is still "thinking" the truck has the factory size wheels and tires. Hence why I am using more range and battery to go 100 miles.
I use ~150-160 miles of actual range to drive 100 miles. Depending on how fast I drive and the grade.
With the factory wheels and tires I was mile for mile. So I used 100 miles of range to drive 100 miles.
So the range is way worse with the new set up since they are not calibrated.
Rivian should be able to calibrate the tire size difference singe a 275/65/20 is a standard size wheel and tire package through Rivian...Most people run this size to begin with.
Calibration will not give _any_ more range, it will only reduce _reported_ range. But it still does not explain the massive loss in range.

The problem is not the calibration, but something else, alignment or other issue between the steering wheel and pedals.

Put in other words, even if Rivian set the calibration to 20", you will still only move 100 miles, and 20" efficiency loss is not that big, so you will complain that the Rivian now says there is 140 miles of range after calibration but you can still only go 100 miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
0_r1t_0

0_r1t_0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition Green
Good luck getting better efficiency on ko2s from 3s
I would think it will be back closer to 100 milles for 100 miles since the 275/60/20 are the same size as a 275/55/21..And the KO2s are lighter than the KO3s. But who knows at this point

superfly_snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Glacier White
Who goes out and puts aftermarket gear on a car/truck and then expects the manufacturer of that vehicle to support it? WTF? Is the world going crazy?

OP
OP
0_r1t_0

0_r1t_0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition Green
Who goes out and puts aftermarket gear on a car/truck and then expects the manufacturer of that vehicle to support it? WTF? Is the world going crazy?
Ur missing the point unfortunatley.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I would think it will be back closer to 100 milles for 100 miles since the 275/60/20 are the same size as a 275/55/21..And the KO2s are lighter than the KO3s. But who knows at this point
It doesn’t work that way. Just like if you installed the oem AT tire/wheel setup your efficiency will be worse than 21s. Same tire size doesn’t equal same efficiency. I had 22s and now running 20s with ko3s. Speedo slightly high at 70. Never bothered to recalibrate. Just mentally calc range off of soc. So far so good. If LT tire run at 60-65psi

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

🤦🏻‍♂️ . Why can't Rivian just calibrate it to the 20" factory wheels and call it a day? Give the customer a disclaimer of liability that the specs do not match, they may not perform the same, etc etc.

I'd be frustrated too if I was told one thing, took action based on that info, and then experienced the complete opposite. I'd be pissed.

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
There just protecting there liability in todays market.

Perhaps there a new person changing the narrative.

aconfusedazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
wow, talk about horrible misinformation from multiple fronts. I, like many others have aftermarket wheels and had no problems with calibrating them. I purchased the TPMS sensors from Rivian directly and had them installed at a local discount tire. The sensors calibrate themselves automatically. Since I was running an OEM sized tire, mo other calibration is required.

Sponsored

zfischer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter, 1250GSA, R1S
Because the old wheels and tires I had were 275/55/21 road tires vs the new wheels and tires 275/65/20 all terrain tires so a 1.5" increase in diameter and higher rolling resistance. The new tires are also heavier and have a higher load/speed rating for better off road performance. So the computer is still "thinking" the truck has the factory size wheels and tires. Hence why I am using more range and battery to go 100 miles.
I use ~150-160 miles of actual range to drive 100 miles. Depending on how fast I drive and the grade.
With the factory wheels and tires I was mile for mile. So I used 100 miles of range to drive 100 miles.
So the range is way worse with the new set up since they are not calibrated.
Rivian should be able to calibrate the tire size difference singe a 275/65/20 is a standard size wheel and tire package through Rivian...Most people run this size to begin with.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian wil not calibrate aftermarket wheels / tires sprh

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Because the old wheels and tires I had were 275/55/21 road tires vs the new wheels and tires 275/65/20 all terrain tires so a 1.5" increase in diameter
1.2" *
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian wil not calibrate aftermarket wheels / tires 1000008519

Why can't Rivian just calibrate it to the 20" factory wheels and call it a day?
They can 🙃

This is a giant nothing-post and previously covered by multiple sources, including myself. Every service center, manager and tech is different. Some approve and compliment, some stick to the books.

Brookliner

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Dad
Clubs

To recalibrate the onboard computer in my wife’s car, we drove for 15 minutes faster than 15 mph. Then, at the next stop, the car said, “are these new tires, if so are they:” then it gave me a list winter, summer, all season. Then it asked about sizes. Done. Easy. This is an unnecessary bit of complexity that Rivian has added to our lives. Annoying.

DAN.K

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Nissan Rogue Platinum AWD, 2024 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sr Compensation Analyst
Clubs

Sooo I can confirm that my guide also advised that they would not calibrate aftermarket wheels.

But that obviously conflicts with the folks who say they have had them done 🤔

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Speed isnt the concern here like everyone thinks. Thats not the issue at all. Its the range.
Using 160+ miles of range when only driving 100 miles. One person, no gear or payload during the week everyday. It adds up quick and I cannot take long road trips right now.
If this is the case, there is a good change I can be refunded for the entire purchase amount.
End of story. Thats where I leave this thread.
You're not going to get accurate range numbers regardless. Rolling resistance of the KO2/KO3s is worse than the stock AT tires. All Rivian service can do is set one of the default tire settings up on your vehicle. If they put the AT one in, your range might be closer (It's still going to overestimate a lot) but now your speedometer will read too fast with the smaller tires.
Sponsored