Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Discount Tire is going to swap the 275/65/20 KO3s with 2300 miles on them with a new set of 275/60/20 KO2s free of charge. This will put the KO2s right near the original 275/55/21 size set and I can avoid the whole recalibration in general. This change decreases the total diameter of the tires by only 1/2"-3/4". Its worth a shot.
This is the best approach, especially if you're planning to be swapping back and forth between the OEM 21s and 20s.

Its the range.
Using 160+ miles of range when only driving 100 miles. One person, no gear or payload during the week everyday. It adds up quick and I cannot take long road trips right now.
This part is verily confusing. Firstly, as others have mentioned your battery doesn't contain 'miles,' it contains electrical potential for ion transfer from an anode to a cathode, which in turn rotates your rotors about a stator, causing locomotion. (DISCLAIMER: Not an EE, but I wanted to give that the ol nerdy try--close enough for conversation, yeah? :))

You're changing to a tire that has HIGHER RESISTANCE between itself and the ground. That coefficient of friction is going to result in requiring MORE power to go the SAME distance as a tire with lower rolling-resistance will. I won't get into it from a CFD standpoint, but I'm also willing to bet that more aggressive tread pattern is also causing more turbulent air flow, resulting in higher drag coefficients around the tires as well--AND the differential in offset, wheel geometry, and other variables can also affect the air movement around the tires, arches, underbody, etc.

I charge my truck to 85%, and my little range estimate number says "275 miles"
I drive 141 miles round trip commute, and when I arrive back home, the meter says I have ~24% battery and 74 miles of range remaining. [275 theoretical-74 remaining= 201 miles 'consumed' ;; 201-141 actual = 60 delta] Where did the other 60 miles go? NOWHERE, because my battery didn't store miles. And it has to compensate (with increased energy consumption) for 1- rolling resistance 2- resistive heating of the battery due to cold climate 3- wind resistance when I'm driving > average highway speeds 4- lack of opportunity to regenerate due to highway driving 5- all of the creature comforts consuming energy in the cockpit, such as my bluetooth music, heating, lighting, etc

To be clear: no amount of recalibrating, reprogramming, or reconfiguring is going to defy physics. Any changes to the computer should simply result in a more accurate odometer, speedometer, and could also compensate for 'ideal' range (I DO NOT MEAN it'll make your range better; I'm only suggesting it *could* make your range ESTIMATEs more ACCURATE), but it's still never going to be perfect, unless you drive PERFECTLY in PERFECT weather with all other variables idealized and/or compensated for.

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
I don't get it. The 275/65-20 that OP had first installed are the same size as the OEM 20" tire. I don't understand why the SC is giving him such heartache over this. And now he's switching to 275/60-20 which is NOT an OEM tire spec, which IMO is even worse!

R1S_HYS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

If you have a friend who works at Rivian, it can be done. I know a guy has his aftermarket wheel recalibrated.

eRacer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
To the OP. Watch this and get some eduation regarding wheel and tire efficiencies.

The car's calibration does not dictate how efficint the car will function. The physical wheel/tires is what dictates efficiency. Calibration will only SHOW more accurate numbers. However, the truck will do what it does. Just because the truck display shows the truck is going 50MPH doesn't mean your truck is only traveling 50MPH. It could be going faster OR slower based on your overall wheel/tire diameter.

Same goes for the distance you traveled. Just becasue your truck shows you traveled 100 miles, it doesn't mean you actually travelled 100 miles, you could have done more OR less.

Hope this helps you out.

Sponsored

Atomic Wheels

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
The best thread we have ever read. Great AD for Black Rhino.

For those who want to take a risk (even tho there are no risks) here is a 10% discount code "0_r1t_0" for [AW10] that is in stock and ready for shipping. You already bought a car from a startup, changing wheels is not that risky.

Lrak1973

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005/6 Toyota Highlander Hybrid; Forest Green R1S
Occupation
Attorney
The best thread we have ever read. Great AD for Black Rhino.

For those who want to take a risk (even tho there are no risks) here is a 10% discount code "0_r1t_0" for [AW10] that is in stock and ready for shipping. You already bought a car from a startup, changing wheels is not that risky.
The Atomic Wheels are pretty damn sweet, too, and had no issues with Service Center calibrating them for Blizzak LTs. Had the OEM 21s previously.

Atomic Wheels

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
The Atomic Wheels are pretty damn sweet, too, and had no issues with Service Center calibrating them for Blizzak LTs. Had the OEM 21s previously.
Honestly, it depends on the Service Center... and also how people who asks for something talk to them :)

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Honestly, it depends on the Service Center... and also how people who asks for something talk to them :)
R1T goes in Tuesday for a windshield and tire calibration (for the low low price of $120), lets hope they actually comply and calibrate it

Blahop

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Your own fault dude, you should have just put on the recommended spec from the 21s to 20 inch rim tire set up with a 275/60/20 tire size. instead of the 275 65 20. It would be off just a hair. No recalibration needed.

Sponsored

Utah Rivian

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Appraiser
Clubs

Those wheels and tires look sweet. I went to the service center in Salt Lake and asked them and there were three different people there and each told me they would do it as long as the tire was a Rivian factory tire size. If the size is differnt from of of their options they will not.
They told me they would not be able to change the picture to the aftermarket picture but could change the picture if it was Rivian wheels.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
They have recalibrated many sets of third party wheels and tires already. There is obviously a simple miscommunication occurring. Take a deep breath and remove your lawyer(s) from speed dial.
🤣😮💨🤦🏼‍♀️

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

wow, talk about horrible misinformation from multiple fronts. I, like many others have aftermarket wheels and had no problems with calibrating them. I purchased the TPMS sensors from Rivian directly and had them installed at a local discount tire. The sensors calibrate themselves automatically. Since I was running an OEM sized tire, mo other calibration is required.
TPMS is not the issue being discussed here. Those sensors (if the correct wavelength/model) happily reconnect and work fine. For instance the ones I bought on Amazon.

What this thread is discussing is a SC reprogramming the computer with a different tire circumference. And the take away is different people at different times had had varying levels of success.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

TLDR: some got lucky, I didn't. A clear policy from Rivian would be helpful. In vehicle tire circumference swapping would be even better.

While OP came in hot here and drifted off course with the whole range/efficiency bit, I also failed to have the same service others here have successfully completed. I clarified with Rivian when setting up my service center appointment ($120 fee) and was rejected in person for the following request:

Switch programming 20" AT stock setup -> 22” Sport setup programming (20" winter tire with same circumference)
This was clearly explained to SC over the phone when setting up the appointment, both aftermarket wheels and tires were discussed. Edocs signed, brought it in, they called two days later for pickup explaining they couldn't do it. I discussed more, they went back and forth, eventually I spoke directly with the tech and was told they can only do it for Rivian stock ones. I asked if the issue was the wheels or the tires. They said it needs to be a stock setup. I asked which winter tires they sell (spoiler, none), and he said they would only do the AT. I calmly explained I enjoy skiing and we are in Michigan so would appreciate them figuring out a way to get my snow tires sorted out. Emphasis on just asking for 21/22 and that I understood they couldn't It was supposed to be escalated to engineering but I haven't followed up and never heard back.
My plan was to buy both 20" AS and winters in the 22 equivalent circumference tires (275/60/20) and only rarely swap back to my stock 20s for fun stuff. So I was hoping to switch once so the speedometer and odometer are correct 99% of the time.

So.... @Dark-Fx may I pretty please borrow your 21 or 22 wheels for a couple days before you take your snows off? 😂

PS OP did totally mess up by not just sticking with 275/60/20 tires and not having to reprogram anything, but going the other way isn't as easy.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So.... @Dark-Fx may I pretty please borrow your 21 or 22 wheels for a couple days before you take your snows off?
Sure, we can do the swap in the Rivian parking lot.
Sponsored