OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
I’m starting to think I never will! Now, after arriving in Houston, it’s been taken to another shop for color correction on a gear tunnel door. This thing better be the best looking R1T in America when they are done, or by God, I’ll ask for another VIN! (And will end up being the one they swapped for your new one) 🤣
Haha, I hope not.

What are they telling you the time frame is now?
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Haha, I hope not.

What are they telling you the time frame is now?
They just said they are supposed to be updated by end of day tomorrow and they’ll let me know what the shop says. It’s really getting, or has been, quite ridiculous.

• Sad
Reactions: hed

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I saw Amao Transportation videos…

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
He pulls it into a charger at that building with about 70% SOC. He doesn't show any joy riding so it's very possible he is instructed to charge it to certain percent (85%?) so you receive it with a nearly full battery. Probably not good idea to jump straight to a conclusion that there is any malice. He probably just shouldn't have posted the video. I also don't understand why people obscure VIN/Plates. Anyone that sees your vehicle in public can see that info. To each their own.

drivetorun

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Risk to the owner’s identity

The VIN of any car is also associated with the owner of that car. So when an owner is putting up the VIN publicly, for a larger audience, he is also putting his security at stake. Anyone willing to find out information such as the name, address, nationality, age, about owner, can easily do so by tracing the VIN.

There are certain advantages as well as threats to sharing a particular VIN. The VIN is private enough that it shouldn’t be shared with a large number of people and at the same time, it is important enough to be shared with the requisite people.

To avoid all the possible threats, there is only one thing an owner can do. That is to not put up the VIN anywhere on advertisements or online websites. The number should only be passed to trusted individuals and potential buyers.
These days, it’s pretty easy to reverse search a license plate to get a VIN (you can do it for free with both Carfax and Carvana, plus others), and people are driving with license plates on full display all the time, not to mention that VINs are publicly visible in the windshield of cars, so it seems a little futile to put any significant effort to keep a VIN (or license plate) private. Granted, I’m saying this more to the people who obscure license plates in photos of “for sale” ads, and I know everyone has different privacy comfort levels, but it feels all a bit ”tin foil hat” to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
These days, it’s pretty easy to reverse search a license plate to get a VIN (you can do it for free with both Carfax and Carvana, plus others), and people are driving with license plates on full display all the time, not to mention that VINs are publicly visible in the windshield of cars, so it seems a little futile to put any significant effort to keep a VIN (or license plate) private. Granted, I’m saying this more to the people who obscure license plates in photos of “for sale” ads, and I know everyone has different privacy comfort levels, but it feels all a bit ”tin foil hat” to me.
Well generally I lean more towards not worrying about it. I just figured I am posting on a public forum and that tends to draw particular attention. But like you and someone else mentioned, all of that info is usually out in the open for all to see.

OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
He pulls it into a charger at that building with about 70% SOC. He doesn't show any joy riding so it's very possible he is instructed to charge it to certain percent (85%?) so you receive it with a nearly full battery. Probably not good idea to jump straight to a conclusion that there is any malice. He probably just shouldn't have posted the video.
I think if you read through my replies in this thread you'd see I didn't jump straight to the conclusion the driver did anything with malice.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Exactly. A VIN is 100% public information. It isn’t a SSN.

Lesyo64

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Accord hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Get Rivian to give you the transport info. Bill them at TURO rates for R1T rental. Or, insist on new vehicle and bill transport daily rate for each day of delayed delivery. I think the term is called conversion. Or, just let Rivian handle it and hope for some swag.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Risk to the owner’s identity

The VIN of any car is also associated with the owner of that car. So when an owner is putting up the VIN publicly, for a larger audience, he is also putting his security at stake. Anyone willing to find out information such as the name, address, nationality, age, about owner, can easily do so by tracing the VIN.

There are certain advantages as well as threats to sharing a particular VIN. The VIN is private enough that it shouldn’t be shared with a large number of people and at the same time, it is important enough to be shared with the requisite people.

To avoid all the possible threats, there is only one thing an owner can do. That is to not put up the VIN anywhere on advertisements or online websites. The number should only be passed to trusted individuals and potential buyers.
You do know the vin is on a plate in the front window right? And every person that walks by can see it and take pictures is they want?
Dirty_B

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
You do know the vin is on a plate in the front window right? And every person that walks by can see it and take pictures is they want?
Dirty_B
Yes, but they will never know that the owner of that vehicle goes by the name "hed" online.

It is not about preventing the world from knowing your vin (or license plate), it is about preventing the world from knowing the name you go by on this website. A VIN or license plate can be converted into a name & address. If you are not comfortable sharing your real name & address on this website, you shouldn't share your VIN or license plate.

Edit - I would not be surprised if some states keep registration records private, but when I google the VIN numbers for my vehicles, the first result is a page with my name/address so clearly not all states do.

Last edited:

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
What? Who is this person?
Dirty_B
Maybe he's more worried about anonymous internet trolls than people he can meet in real life.

That aside, I wouldn't be happy about someone using my truck for a YouTube video without permission.

Robotpedlr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivan R1S
Occupation
Sales
The guy sounds very excited about the Rivian... I have my 1st mile test drive on Thursday and will probably sound the same way. lol

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It's great to hear the excitement in his voice!! I would be the same! Nice looking Forrest Green BTW.. I keep waffling between that and El Cap

Reactions: hed

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

Wow wow wow. Why people have to post everything they do online baffles me. I don't care what you ate for breakfast, etc.
Sponsored