Sponsored

AsianPersuasian

First Name
SuperDave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Think the microSD card is the way to go since the images on another thread are terrible. That way I can just use the card for a true dashcam if Rivian can't improve the quality. Plus, 1 person stated water on the camera makes it practically useless as well.
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Think the microSD card is the way to go since the images on another thread are terrible. That way I can just use the card for a true dashcam if Rivian can't improve the quality. Plus, 1 person stated water on the camera makes it practically useless as well.
Certainly not something you can count on, should you be in an accident. Your “e-witness” is technically, “legally blind”.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Super simple setup here with an 90-degree rotated USB-C adapter and a Samsung 256GB. Am still considering a true dash cam.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install IMG_2990

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Super simple setup here with an 90-degree rotated USB-C adapter and a Samsung 256GB. Am still considering a true dash cam.

IMG_2990.jpeg
Same, but wiring it in could be a real…

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install IMG_7440

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Same, but wiring it in could be a real…

IMG_7440.gif
You got that right. Also I’ve yet to find a solution on the market that I actually like, so here’s to waiting another eternity.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
You got that right. Also I’ve yet to find a solution on the market that I actually like, so here’s to waiting another eternity.
I considered the Garmin Mini 2, as Inuave no desire to mount and in mount it with every drive. But didn’t pull the trigger.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Since we are doing a road trip from the Oregon coast to the California Bay Area in a few weeks, I went ahead and splurged on the LaCie 2TB SSD USB-C . It's small, light, fast, and fits well in the center console. Oddly enough, there is also a "newer" version that is actually a bit chunkier, but that is why I didn't go that route.

I must admit I didn't get it at first how to set it up, but I finally figured it out just now (10:20pm PDT). I had zero issues formatting the drive for the R1T, but will need to wait until tomorrow to do a test drive to see how the full-time video capture looks.

I've had a few close calls lately from folks just not paying attention and thought this might provide more evidence in the event of a collision. If this helps me in the least bit then I figure it is money well spent.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I copied your setup. I like it a lot except it is nearly impossible for me to remove small magnetic piece of the type c adapter once plugged into the Rivian.
That's a really clean looking setup. I need to see if the LaCie 2TB will fit in the space provided if connected to a right-angle adaptor.

Sponsored

drbiggieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T - El Cap Granite
Samsung SD, Anker reader and 90 degree connector. Works well so far.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install 270AA47D-3FE5-4726-AAAD-8DFBAF8069A7

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I copied your setup. I like it a lot except it is nearly impossible for me to remove small magnetic piece of the type c adapter once plugged into the Rivian.
I haven't tried removing it yet lol. I like the idea that if catches on something being taken out or put in the cubby it will just disconnect the magnet instead of breaking something. It was also the only right angle usb-c to usb-a adapter that would sit flush that I could find.

sandsk8erz400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I haven’t been able to get the Anker to work consistently (ordered from Amazon). It formatted and passed all the tests and I recorded a short video. Left the truck and came back and it said no card was setup. If I pull the microsd card and put it back into the anker the truck recognizes it again. So basically with the anker every time the truck stops I have to re-plug-in the microsd card.

not exactly a workable solution. I am going to try to order a different usb-c to microsd adapter: SmartQ C356 Type C (same one others have linked to in this thread) from Amazon.
Got it, for what it's worth I've been out of town since last Wednesday and just tried again today and now it's working. I'll see how it holds up and if I experience any issues like you mentioned.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I bought this exact same cable intending to use it to allow the use of two MagSafe charging pucks AND a USB-C flash drive in the center console. Doesn't work. This does: Charging splitter cable on Amazon. I plugged the MagSafe pucks into the two connectors marked with the USB symbol (the other connector is for power IN, not OUT). I then plugged my USB-C drive into the other USB-C socket in the console.

Brian
I tried this cable with the TWRAPS magsafe charger (older version with two usbC plugs) and it is not working. Is this the same charger you are using? I could just have a defective cable.
Sponsored