Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Looks like it'd work with the Gear Tunnel Shuttle as well, at least as long as the Camp Kitchen isn't there.
I don't think it will. The shuttle is a sliding "shelf" that will sit an inch or two higher than the floor of the tunnel. If you look at the cooler, the corner is already touching the top of the tunnel.
Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I don't think it will. The shuttle is a sliding "shelf" that will sit an inch or two higher than the floor of the tunnel. If you look at the cooler, the corner is already touching the top of the tunnel.
Except if it goes higher it could shift towards the rear, it would just hang off the shuttle a little.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Except if it goes higher it could shift towards the rear, it would just hang off the shuttle a little.
True! The shape is that of a rhombus/rhomboid so as the cooler moved up and to the right, it uses the same amount of space.

Behold, my MS Paint skillz.

Rivian R1T R1S Sizing it up.. my power cooler arrived.. ICECO GO20 Dual Zone 8E9D5065-9010-4171-9060-716F28ABFF52

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
How much cooling power does it have going full tilt at 0F? I’ve thought about using a small electric freezer like this on rotating ice pack freezing duty combined with a much larger traditional cooler.

JDMD

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physician
Yes it came with both 110V and 12V cables.
Very cool! Let us know how it goes. That would be great for trips, day-long soccer tournaments, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

How much cooling power does it have going full tilt at 0F? I’ve thought about using a small electric freezer like this on rotating ice pack freezing duty combined with a much larger traditional cooler.
In my initial test, with the cool in dual zone mode it took about 30 min for it to reach temp. I put some water in it and after about an hour it was starting to freeze

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Looks like a nice option. Question, is there a 110 outlet in the frunk? Second question, if there is a 110 outlet or even a 12V outlet, do the ones in the frunk and/or gear tunnel stay powered while the vehicle is turn off?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Good point on which outlets in the truck are switch power and which are not. I hope the ones in the cab are switch acc power. I hope all others 12v are full time.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Looks like a nice option. Question, is there a 110 outlet in the frunk? Second question, if there is a 110 outlet or even a 12V outlet, do the ones in the frunk and/or gear tunnel stay powered while the vehicle is turn off?
Rivian R1T R1S Sizing it up.. my power cooler arrived.. ICECO GO20 Dual Zone 1650427691998

The 12V outlets appear to be always on and the 120V are on when turned on from the menu.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

12V is theoretically more efficient (no DC/AC/DC conversion, which has two sets of efficiency losses between your pack and your fridge). The 12V ports are also always powered, whereas you have to manually turn on the 120 outlets from the truck's touchscreen. So 12V is probably the best route (and there's 12V in both the frunk and the gear tunnel).

That sed, there's no 12V in the bed, and the drawbacks to 120 are probably mostly annoying rather than a big power issue given the relatively low draw we're talking about here. So if you want it in the bed, don't sweat it.
Thank you for the detailed response

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

You would use AC at the house before a trip to cool the unit down then when you stick it into the truck to go on your trip it just has to maintain that temp. At least with an ice vehicle that's how you would do it I plan to keep my fridge going in the vehicle all the time pretty much. less moving it around.
Simple enough

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Probably not as many as you'd think. Only reason I'm going with the truck is because of the frunk and gear tunnel, otherwise I'd be team R1S instead. But I want the max pack and a full size spare. Coming from an SUV, the secure storage space is important.
Secure storage in the frunk is great. I think RAM-like gear boxes in the sides of the bed would have been great … that's just void space and could be designed unlike the RAM-box, to not make the bed narrower. The gear tunnel is awkward and annoying that the hatches tend to not quite close and it's non-obvious, so you walk away, the truck doesn't lock (!) and the battery drains faster overnight (losing about 20 miles instead of about 10 miles … really not fully tested.)
The gear tunnel is large enough for maybe two snowboards if you futz around and line up the bindings … then what else goes in there? no room for boots … it's a void space that certainly is useful, but only in limited ways and they seem to have fallen short of really thinking it through (e.g. making use of the rear seat space, the tiny pass-through hatch from the rear seats, and the way the openings to the tunnel are obstructed by the latch mechanism which surely should have been like a car door, recessed into the frame, not obstructing access to the space.
I think the design of stacking the metal tonneau panels took up took much space. They've probably made the most compact, space-efficient top of any pickup, but still, it's a design that doesn't completely achieve the objective and it's using prime real estate in the vehicle. I think there's also no space regained if the truck is optioned without the tonneau – a lockable storage bin there would be another useful feature instead of the tonneau. I think the tonneau is going to cost Rivian a lot of warranty work till they improve the design (so it doesn't fill up with leaves and grit) and I assume it's going to malfunction and fail in the warranty period (it's clunky, noisy and there's a lot of wear surfaces.)
Once you try to make use of it, the tunnel is just not well designed. I know people like to praise Rivian from innovative design elements, and there are some clever ideas in the R1, no question, but in the details, there's a few more iterations to go before this truck makes sense. The folding rear seats are pretty much a failed design, I really don't know what they were thinking, pickups are pretty much settled science, but in the R1T, it's the reverse of what's expected: you fold up the seat forward against the back of the front seats, then … what? … there's the fixed frame of the storage areas under the seat and the subwoofer taking up one third (!) of the space, so there's no flat floor to put anything big/heavy in the back seat. A pickup is really handy when it has a wide, flat floor with the rear seats folded back against the rear, not forward against the front seats. It's actually annoying once you try to make use of that space. It's also an idiotic (sorry, it just is brain dead) place to put a subwoofer which can literally go anywhere and be ported into the cabin … there's space under both front seats … "underseat subwoofer" is 40 pages of products on Amazon … not new technology.
As for S vs T, I went with the T because two years ago it was meant to be more than one year ahead of the S. I also think the S should be the same length as the T …. the T is a great size. Maybe they plan on an R1S "long wheelbase" in the future … I think Rivian should have started with the S and T being pretty much identical. I would even have tried to figure out a way to put a gear tunnel in the S, move the 3rd row back a foot, they'd have the same leg room, and the R1S would be the most funky and different SUV on the market. Instead, it's up against stiff competition and as an SUV it doesn't have a single killer feature.
I hope Rivian revisits the frunk and decides to suffer the costs of crash testing or whatever it takes to make the front open with the hood (like Lightning and Silverado) … I think that's a straightforward decision point for many consumers … the Lightning is a cavernous frunk … the R1T frunk is … big, but not as big as it was in the demo vehicles that Rivian showed a few years ago. Hopefully Rivian does some serious homework on the R1S along with the LFP Max Pack, 800 V and maybe a heat pump … that would reduce the space requirements in the frunk, push the fan/radiator down and maybe make it two tandem units to enlarge the frunk and give it flat load floor access. Not cheap to change the design, but I think necessary to be competitive.
Anyway, all those points are not major, just clues to some unfinished work that must have been hard fought before the imperative to say stop designing and start building so they could go to market – one thing Rivian got right was to get to market in 2021 rather than late into 2022 by which time I'm afraid Ford will be under way (already shipping the Lightning now, but both Ford and GM need more time to ramp up.)

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
That idea of filling an icebox works out. I have the larger ICECO JP42 and it's on "ice" duty making large cubes which get dumped into another cooler (for putting in drinks, so it's made with clean water, not whatever is in the bag of ice at the supermarket.) It will freeze water to ice overnight. I know the 40qt can run for days (literally 2+) on a 2000W (about 1.5kWh available) battery power station (aka "solar generator.") The spec sheet says 50W "average."

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
True! The shape is that of a rhombus/rhomboid so as the cooler moved up and to the right, it uses the same amount of space.

Behold, my MS Paint skillz.

8E9D5065-9010-4171-9060-716F28ABFF52.jpeg
does anyone have the shuttle or remember its price?
I seem to recall it was enough for me to say "no thanks" … $1500?
It seems to be out of production.
https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/gear-tunnel-shuttle
It looks to be about 4 inches thick, but they don't include that dimension in the spec.
Rivian R1T R1S Sizing it up.. my power cooler arrived.. ICECO GO20 Dual Zone 1650438057268
Sponsored