Sponsored

Strange noises when accelerating and stopping. What is it?

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’m getting two somewhat similar noises under two different conditions that I’m trying to figure out on my quad motor R1T.

1. On rare occasions I’m getting a rapid knocking noise during hard acceleration. Sound is mostly coming from the front. I don’t get it every drive and sometimes it will eventually go away during the same drive. I don’t hear it with normal accelerations.
  1. I’ll hear a slow knocking noise coming from the front as I’m coming to a stop while turning my wheel hard in one direction. Only happens at a few stops near my home with stop signs on a hard curve. I don’t get this if my wheels are straight, and I come to a normal stop.
I'm not sure if these noises are related or completely different but they did start at roughly the same time (about a month ago).

Obviously, I should get this checked out, but appointments are several months out. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer
Maybe, check out your suspension stuff, especially the front struts and mounts. Also, take a peek at those engine mounts to see if anything's loose or worn out.
Now, for that slow knocking sound when you're making tight turns and coming to a stop, it could be tied to your steering system or maybe something up with the CV joints. Give the steering linkage, tie rods, and CV boots a once-over for any signs of wear or damage.
Since these problems cropped up around the same time, there could be a connection. In the meantime, check out your wheel bearings and brake parts too – they could be throwing in their two cents to those noises.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Loose half-shaft? It's a thing ... I would take it in and have service look at it.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Loose half-shaft? It's a thing ... I would take it in and have service look at it.
I took a look and see if my half-shafts were loose. I’m not sure what it’s supposed to feel like, and I wouldn’t call it “loose,” but the passenger side half-shaft did have slightly more play to it when pulling on it vs the drivers side which had almost zero play. Very very slight. I assume that’s my problem. Also, assume there is nothing I can do on my own…

DeafPug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Check your frunk for any loose items. It’s amazing how many noise issues on the “Just Rolled In” YouTube channel are from various items rolling around under acceleration, braking, and cornering.
Sponsored