Sponsored

There are people with R1Ses without any issues right?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I usually have a Razor scooter so I can get back quickly since I park where no one ever is as well
šŸ˜‚ That's amazing but not sure I can pull that off with the wife and 5 kids lol

I'm about to make a little flyer that answers all the basic questions so that my wife can hand out to people that ask her.
The last time someone asked how many seats it has she had to think for a moment šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø (remember we have 7 in our family)
Sponsored

Lrak1973

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005/6 Toyota Highlander Hybrid; Forest Green R1S
Occupation
Attorney
You guys rock thank you šŸ˜…
My neck is a bit sore from the power starts over the last few days... does that count? if not, no issues so far. AC has not made any unusual sounds, and it was 106 in the parking lot the other day. That being said, I'm in Colorado, not Texas, so we have pretty mild heat here.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The biggest thing I have gained from forums is that I became far more at peace just waiting for my delivery. When it got delayed, delayed, delayed again, delayed again... I really was ok with it. Sure I wanted the vehicle, I still do (just 2-3 months away now) but every day that passes makes it a better vehicle.

Issues on the line get sorted and everyone working on the line has more experience. Service centers (despite being currently overrun) will have more experienced people and better repair procedures. Recalls I would have had to deal with will have already been done at the factory. The software will have features immediately available to me that others had to wait months for. The fundamental design of the vehicle will have changed for the better (frame, suspension, 'tock'-ing fix, other low-level tweaks they've already made).

And while I wholly expect to find some issues along the way - despite what anyone says this is still VERY early in the lifecycle of a vehicle manufacturer where they are trying to juggle so many things and race ahead to profitability so things WILL get missed, designs that worked in simulation will be put to the test in the real world - and fail, and need rework - I also know that every day that passes before my vehicle is built reduces the likelihood of issues (improved QA, assembly processes) and increases the functionality (software updates and design changes).

Reminding myself of that each time I see a post on here about another problem, or missing feature, or whatever has been incredibly useful. I found peace with it and just let it be what it is.

Much like tech enthusiasts, you have to remember that ANYONE here is already 2-3 levels more "aware" of things than Joe Average. 90% of people buying a Rivian will never even know these forums exist and would never even consider seeking them out beyond having a serious issue. Even if you don't consider yourself a "car guy" or whatever, just being here indicates more awareness than your average human on this subject matter. And it's VERY easy for enthusiasts to pick apart every last detail of a thing - because they're excited and love it, but also because you inherently become "educated" here. You just find things to look for that are called out by others and often made into larger issues than they really are. but then you KNOW that's a thing so it becomes baseline knowledge for you when your vehicle shows up. Repeat that a few hundred times by just being here for a year and you're looking for things that no typical person would even notice.

And most people who are happy with a thing don't take time to post about "yet another perfect day..." they just enjoy it. it's why there's so much bias toward "issues" on forums, THEN you have something to talk about. My point in all of this being:

Just remind yourself no matter how many issue you see posted here, whatever you get now will be vastly better than it would have been a year ago and even if you have issues, there will likely be fewer, and they will be closer to resolution than they would have been.

And the issues you see here still represent a small community of enthusiasts who will be far more picky than your average user. You can't expect perfection, even traditional auto makes lemons, a lot of them. Don't go into it waiting to be disappointed. Make a thorough inspection, make sure it's a vehicle you're happy to accept, and then just try to enjoy it. Let the issues come, if they come at all, and deal with it then. Hope for the best, plan for the worst - just don't obsess over how it MUST/WILL be the worst. It'll be what it'll be. Enjoy the vehicle, any minor bumps along the way will likely be worth it because when people talk about Rivians, they talk about vehicles that can do anything and everything as well as, or better than just about anything out there. You don't hear that often about pretty much anything else. There will be bumps in the road, but you have 15" of ground clearance, so no need to worry
You gave fantastic advice and have the same perspective I had: the longer it takes to get one the less likely Iā€™ll deal with new manufacturer + new model issues and learning curve. Given the fact that our Land Rover was going to need expensive repairs closing on 250k miles, taking delivery in early June versus Oct-Dec 2023 worked well for us.

I think itā€™s also important waiting for delivery to maintain perspective. So, as an example, if a noise is quiet enough that you wouldnā€™t hear it at all in an ICE vehicle under the same circumstances, that isnā€™t an issue to me. Likewise, if you object to the suspension compressor noise but never owned a vehicle with an air suspension before then it is rare to find a system which is silent both inside and out. When it comes to the aesthetics, I think in some cases the forum is making people focus on things they may have never noticed before. Iā€™m not saying that people donā€™t have issues with their new Rivians, but I do think that reading about issues can incite a hyperawareness about things some may not have noticed or cared about in the past. The price can add to this since US$80k-100k was an eye-watering price for a family vehicle not so long ago. Today? I just checked pricing for GMC Yukon Denali (seems a fair match to R1S) and the pricing is in the same range.

At delivery we had a single trivial issue where the power lift gate makes a noise opening when the roof is hot. Adam, our delivery person was clearly annoyed since he said it didnā€™t make the noise earlier and he figured it was because something expanded with it sitting in the sun. We entered a ticket on the spot, but it doesnā€™t bother me that much and he was right: no noise when cool.

Alignment and steering wheel good, suspension good, a/c compressor sounds normal to me, even while fast charging in direct sunlight in temps over 90Ā° F, and aesthetics good inside & out.

When I consider how painless the purchase process was, the fact that the vehicle issue at delivery was no worse that my typical legacy vehicle, and the joy of the driving and passenger experience, Rivian has been stellar.

Nolf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti JX35, 2 Honda CRVs
Occupation
CIO
Clubs

Iā€™m set to pick up our R1S later today and of course cruising the forums now. I know thereā€™s some bias by reading whatā€™s posted in the forums but I just gotta askā€¦thereā€™s people out there with vehicles that have no issues right?

Itā€™s not 100% of people with AC noises? Itā€™s not 100% of people with suspension problems? Itā€™s not 100% of people with unaligned steering wheel? How about the drivetrain clicking?
I've had my R1S for two months and have put on 3K plus miles. No issues. I find forums here and on Reddit are obviously biased towards issues as that is what gets more attention. I also think there are just a certain type of person that will find an issue in anything they own. It's a car. You don't like it, get a new one a couple of years.

I have had no issues and this is my first "start up" car - I've always had traditional manufacturers and those also have been mostly issue free. Of course, I just drive. I don't obsess. I am very glad I avoided these forums prior to getting my vehicle or I may have been talked out of it. People love to complain.

Reactions: MWB

Nolf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti JX35, 2 Honda CRVs
Occupation
CIO
Clubs

5,000km in and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Issues?
I think it depends on your definition and tolerance for various things as most people on here are suuuper anal about their cars.

I have a slight alignment issue with one door that does not functionally effect anything and is hardly noticeable. It will get adjusted eventually when I take it to the service center so it is a non issue for me but others would probably return it because it's unacceptable somehow. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

The AC noise has started for a few minutes when it's very hot out. Not enough to bother me and I expect them to come up with a fix eventually so I'm happy to wait and enjoy my awesome car until then.

That being said I expect to have some things come up. We are early adopters and this is a highly engineered product but they have knocked it out of the park!
I have been driving in 90 plus degree weather for a few weeks and no AC issue thusfar. Fingers crossed. But honestly, I likely will just turn up the radio :cool:

Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Iā€™m set to pick up our R1S later today and of course cruising the forums now. I know thereā€™s some bias by reading whatā€™s posted in the forums but I just gotta askā€¦thereā€™s people out there with vehicles that have no issues right?

Itā€™s not 100% of people with AC noises? Itā€™s not 100% of people with suspension problems? Itā€™s not 100% of people with unaligned steering wheel? How about the drivetrain clicking?
Mine has all of the above! Plus misaligned panels, lifting window trim and more. First service appointment to correct what shouldā€™ve been corrected prior to delivery last week is August 2nd. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
I've had none of those issues.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Forums are extremely biased because they tend to feature people who are upset with something and need to vent. It is likely a very small percentage of the overall population of Rivian owners so coming here and reading all these "problem" posts can seem daunting.

The reality is that not everyone will perceive a "problem" to actually be a problem. Especially when it involves things like noises, creaks, and non-functional issues that some folks have a higher tolerance for.

There is also the notion that folks are paying close to six figures for R1S and expect a certain level of refinement with that price tag - but a lot of what folks are experiencing is the "early adopter" tax.

The older the R1S gets in terms of production the more refined it will be. Look at early VIN Tesla's for example vs later VINs. The quality is night and day.

Stay strong and don't be deterred - but if you truly want more refinement my suggestion is to wait.

Last edited:

mzdds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Dentist
Minor issues/annoyances after 2 months but I'm getting them all hopefully corrected during my service visit in a month. If anything else arises during that time, I'll get it addressed. So far, it has been awesome.

Sponsored

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D

Dec 22 with 6k. No issues. By far the best car I've owned. I have 2 friends with R1S with the same experience. However, they've never visited Forums. I'd expect that there are a lot of very content owners out there that don't visit the different forums

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I have one of the earlier builds (VIN #4xx) and had none of the major issues, but it hasn't been perfect either. The longest standing issue which just got resolved is wind noise from the trim pieces around the front door triangle windows. The trim was replaced once back in December and it didn't solve anything. Got mobile service back out here again last week and as they were swapping the new part in it was cool to see just how much of an improvement the new assembly is compared to the one they removed from my R1S - larger tabs, more foam pads etc. An indication that they are continuously improving the vehicle and updating it based on feedback from the assembly line, service techs and of course us customers. After the fix the noise from those areas have gone down dramatically.

The ride quality has seemed a bit janky to me in all-purpose / standard height. I thought this thing would eat potholes for breakfast but it's more jarring to me than my previous ride, a Lexus RX. Not sure if there's much I can do about it but just something to adjust to. It does perform better when ride height is set to 'high'. Has been discussed on threads here before.

I have also just started experiencing the AC noise issue :/. Been going on for a couple of weeks now I think, most recently in Seattle on a 75 degree day. It isn't weedwhacker loud like the other guy's, but it's there. Will put another ticket in for that and see how it goes.

There are also some more minor panel gap/alignment issues that I wish I didn't have but I can most certainly live with because they do not affect the functionality of the vehicle.

Overall I'm satisfied and I'm sure QC has improved since those early VINs as well.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
We have some panel/hood alignment, wind noise on our R1T didnā€™t matter we both loved it, R1S seems built tighter less issues, less wind noise, couple minor annoyances itā€™s seriously amazing.

Dubs

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX460

Picked up my R1S 2 weeks ago. Have had to reset the infotainment system multiple times for glitches. Also found defect I. Drivers door window trim, trim mashed in and chip in paint at same spot. Get thisā€¦ posted repair request on app and first agent I spoke to supposedly scheduled an appointment for next Tuesday. After talking to my wife, I realized that I needed to move the date. When I reached out to them again, they told me my service date is actually for August 8 nearly40 days from now for minor fix. First of all, good thing I called back to reschedule because I wouldā€™ve shown up for no reason next Tuesday. The second customer service rep I spoke with was not apologetic at all for the first customer service reps mistake. Very disappointed in their backlog and if serious issues arise, I can definitely see selling this thing rather than having it sit in my garage for a month waiting for Service.
Sponsored