Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
Installed the AT/3

I am running the non-EV AT3 (1100 miles so far), and see essentially no difference in efficiency between them and the Pirelli ATs. In fact they might be a bit better efficiency wise especially on the highway, perhaps due to the higher load index and PSI (running 60 psi).
how is noise vs the Pirelli?
Sponsored

grass man

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '21 Model Y Performance, '23 Bolt 2LT
Occupation
Professional Counselor
Clubs

Installed the AT/3

I am running the non-EV AT3 (1100 miles so far), and see essentially no difference in efficiency between them and the Pirelli ATs. In fact they might be a bit better efficiency wise especially on the highway, perhaps due to the higher load index and PSI (running 60 psi).
What size? I'm looking to run LT295/60R20. I want a wider tire patch and this size specs at 33.9" diameter. The 295/65R20's appeal too at 35" however it's then assured to remove "Lowest" from anything other than parked. Considering the significant additional weight of either of these non-EV versions, I'm eager to see what the EV variants weigh.

AlexR1S

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Physician
What size? I'm looking to run LT295/60R20. I want a wider tire patch and this size specs at 33.9" diameter. The 295/65R20's appeal too at 35" however it's then assured to remove "Lowest" from anything other than parked. Considering the significant additional weight of either of these non-EV versions, I'm eager to see what the EV variants weigh.
This is the size I'm thinking about also. Please let me know if you have any rubbing issues (I keep my R1S at standard height)

Thanks

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

Just keep in mind that if you wanted to run a spare in the same size 295s will not fit in the compartment. I’m running 285/60/20 and it barely fits. I had to deflate it a bit and basically use all my weight on the lid to make sure it stays latched.

Oh and kiss your efficiency goodbye, I’ve seen nearly a 20% loss going from OEM 21s to A/Ts in this size.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Just keep in mind that if you wanted to run a spare in the same size 295s will not fit in the compartment. I’m running 285/60/20 and it barely fits. I had to deflate it a bit and basically use all my weight on the lid to make sure it stays latched.
Plus, bigger isn’t universally better. Example:

Last edited:

grass man

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Counselor
Clubs

Plus, bigger isn’t universally better. Example:
Fair enough. The decision would be a lot easier if I could see some aggressive AT's at 285 and 295 mounted up. Same for 60 and 65 profile. I've been in Rally mode and had a bit too much speed heading into some whoops and the combo of sand pushing the front tire deflector and that front corner at max squish (with the stock set-up), basically ripped the fender-liner out. So I know that under some circumstances the tire will make contact with the liner, hence my consideration of 60's. I happen to like the OEM 20" standard wheels but I just want a little bit more contact patch when I play in the snow and sand. I get into muddy ruts occasionally but less and less over the years. I really can't complain about the OEM set up. I've aired down to 22-25psi without ill effect. I've also driven through 10" of fresh snow on-top of snow/ice pack over the Santiam pass at the full 48psi. It did just fine but man I hate the harshness of a tire that's as hard as granite.

grass man

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Counselor
Clubs

Oh and kiss your efficiency goodbye, I’ve seen nearly a 20% loss going from OEM 21s to A/Ts in this size.
I appreciate you making mention of that, if not for me, then for others who might neglect to think about the tolerances in the compartment. IMO the full sized OEM 20"AT's don't enjoy much wiggle room to start with. I have always planned to run my OEM full sized spare BUT I just went through this with the Wife's car. Pulled the valve stem and wrapped it with some larger sized ratchet straps and cranked on it as far as I could to get it squished (was surprisingly non-compliant for such a tiny wheel/tire). Stem back in, strapped removed, compact spare now fits in her subcompact car. I don't even know why I bought a spare for it. I use plugs for most punctures. Even sidewall at time when there's no other option to get back to civilization.

grass man

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Counselor
Clubs

Which tires are you running?
Oh, yeah. I've become numb to the range loss.

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

I ended up going with Hankook Dynapro AT2 Xtremes. Simple Tire had a Black Friday sale, and when combined with a Hankook rebate, ended up around $300 per wheel. Will definitely be looking towards an EV specific AT when these need replacing. Probably in same 285/60/20 size. I want more width to better protect the 20x9” rims I’m running. That and the wider/aggressive stance is worth sacrificing some efficiency for my purposes.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Looks like the Toyo website has the 275/60/20 LT at 53 lbs. Hope they do a non-LT version as well.
https://www.toyotires.com/open-country-at3-ev
Nice to finally see some specs. Too bad it's only S-rated, would've preferred a T or H speed rating. But 53 lbs is pretty light for an LT E-load tire. The 275/65/20 will be heavier, but hopefully this means it won't be over 60 lbs like some of the popular brands. Really hoping they come out with the 275/65 before I need to replace my tires...which is likely going to be late spring/early summer.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Nice to finally see some specs. Too bad it's only S-rated, would've preferred a T or H speed rating. But 53 lbs is pretty light for an LT E-load tire. The 275/65/20 will be heavier, but hopefully this means it won't be over 60 lbs like some of the popular brands. Really hoping they come out with the 275/65 before I need to replace my tires...which is likely going to be late spring/early summer.
There will be a 275/65R20 116H SL and a 126/123S E/10.

Rivian R1T R1S Toyo Open Country A/T EV tires new release open-country-at-iii-sizes-preview

Yellowssm

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T & 22 MS Plaid
Occupation
Sales
These need to come out asap
Sponsored