Sponsored

Truck is now bricked due to 12v battery issue [updated title]

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
...or owners shouldn't just be doing hard resets for every little thing, and only when directed to by support.
Too bad Rivian support seems to recommend a reset for EVERYTHING.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Too bad Rivian support seems to recommend a reset for EVERYTHING.
I think they are trying to get people to do more sleep cycle resets instead of the full resets. The hard resets are probably pretty 12V energy intensive and they have to turn off the HV contactors during it, so if you are having an issue with low voltage in the 12V systems, it's probably just going to draw them down even further and kill everything.

In an ICE vehicle, you could drive for quite a bit after being jumped if you have a good alternator. You still won't be able to start the vehicle again if you have truly bad 12V batteries.

Last edited:

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
...or owners shouldn't just be doing hard resets for every little thing, and only when directed to by support.
Ironically, my first taste of being an early adopter was the delivery person handing me a double sided, color printout of how to reset the truck.

OP
OP
Tucker74

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Unfortunately I was stuck away from home with a vehicle that wasnā€™t responding, I did try everything I could before that point ā€¦ and the second was at supports request knowing what had already been done. We just donā€™t have a ton of options, why I was suggesting adding those items to enable more. Would also be nice to have the option to view the 12v status at least in a diagnostic screen?

zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan 4S, 23 Model S Plaid, 20 Model Y P
Occupation
Retired
I'm having PaaK issues with my Samsung after the update. My wife is not, odd. Shows as registered but not actually working.

Sponsored

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
About to go on a road trip and this has me real nervous. What type of torx and would you need one NOCO or two since there are 2 12vs?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

That sucks. "could" be related to the update, but this has happened to many that have not been recently updated. I'd suggest a 12V battery, but the fact that it was just driven to Lowe's and only sat for a short time, seems unlikely it would have drained the 12V battery that fast. Maybe if it was low when he arrived, but the truck should have notified him of that. Probably one of the computer modules caused it. Seems like we're seeing a few more of these. Percentage wise, still well under 1% of all Rivian's on the road, but enough that they need to explore what's causing this issue and find a remedy for it.

Sorry to the OP that it happened. I went through it a couple of months ago. Not fun. To Rivian's credit, they gave me a loaner and had mine back in about 3 business days. Been good ever since. We are all early adopters, there are going to be issues. Rivian will sort them out and improve. Tesla had plenty of issues too. Even big manufacturers are having issues with their first EV's. It's a learning process for all involved. Seen videos of bricked Hummers, Lightnings, Teslas, etc, etc. It's not just Rivian. It's new EV tech, which is new to even the big manufacturers. They're learning too.

Best of luck and hope they get it resolved quickly for you.
Did Rivian get to the root cause of your 12V battery issue? I agree that this may or may not be related for the update.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Would it be possible for the 12V system to go dead while the truck is plugged into the wall charger? We leave our truck plugged in all the time when itā€™s at home.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Would it be possible for the 12V system to go dead while the truck is plugged into the wall charger? We leave our truck plugged in all the time when itā€™s at home.
Mostly likely not, unless a there is a faulty module.

Sponsored

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
This is the first that Iā€™ve read regarding needing to wait >1 hour bet hard resets. Couldnā€™t Rivian include a warning or just block a second hard reset in <1 hour to error proof?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Did Rivian get to the root cause of your 12V battery issue? I agree that this may or may not be related for the update.
Yes, as noted above, they had it back in 3 business days to me. Mine turned out to be a GCM (General Control Module). Had nothing to do with the batteries. They replaced them too, but it didn't resolve the issue. Had it towed and I had it back 3 business days later, good as new.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
I got the 2023.6.2 update Tuesday night, seemed to go fine other than taking a while. Immediately after I noticed much worse behavior with the phone (iPhone) PAAK as others have mentioned. Then today I popped into Loweā€™s to pick up some items for a project, and truck is now bricked.

Initially it seemed normal, unlocked after standing next to door for ~10 sec and stereo/hvac running once entered. But then it wouldnā€™t shift into reverse, no pedal or key not present message just nothing when I operated stalk. So I tried an app close and reopen (had fixed a key not present in the past), no change. Next I tried a a soft reset, no change. Then a hard reset (reboot) which took unusually long sitting at 0%, Christmas tree of warnings on driver display and no hvac on completion. This isnā€™t good. Phoned support. They walked me through an app restart, Bluetooth restart, then hard restart with no change. Finally recommended a sleep cycle, which wasnā€™t ideal in a Loweā€™s parking lot miles from home but I gave it a go and called the wife for a rescue ride home. An hour and a half later I returned with a card and fob in addition to my phone, long story short completely bricked ā€¦ wouldnā€™t wake up or respond to any of the three keys. Rivian sent a tow truck. Didnā€™t anticipate the feeling of complete helplessness of not being able to troubleshoot or work on anything, Iā€™m a guy who has built and restored dozens of vehicles šŸ™. Iā€™d hold off on this update, will post back what service center findā€™s Monday.

AA5648DC-90F8-4E0A-84BB-FFB0350EC302.jpeg
Same thing happened to me. Went from just fine to dead as a doornail. I did get any warnings or cards. Just would not go into gear, no HVAC or Bluetooth. Called Roadside Assistance directly and the walked me through a restart, then software restart, then put to sleep. Came back hour later, with support and she was dead. Local SC speculating 12v issue as well. I had. 12v error after the Snow Mode OTA. SC did a patch. But nowā€¦makes me wonder. SC has been great so hopefully Iā€™ll know something tomorrow.
Good Luck Trucker74!

Last edited:

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Unfortunately I was stuck away from home with a vehicle that wasnā€™t responding, I did try everything I could before that point ā€¦ and the second was at supports request knowing what had already been done. We just donā€™t have a ton of options, why I was suggesting adding those items to enable more. Would also be nice to have the option to view the 12v status at least in a diagnostic screen?
I agree seeing 12V gauge or readout would be awesome! One of many things I would like to see brought to the gauge cluster options, including regen power, etc.

OP
OP
Tucker74

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Hopefully Iā€™ll find out something tomorrow, had to drive over to the local SC and put my key in the drop per service request
Sponsored