Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Any thoughts on how weatherproof the tonneaus will be? I know nobody has seen them, but I am hoping they will do a good job of keeping out the elements.
If they are anything like the original, they will keep nearly all weather out. Dust is another story.
Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If they are anything like the original, they will keep nearly all weather out. Dust is another story.
Thats my thought, I don't need them to be a dry box but having covered storage in the back is gamechanging for me, especially in the winter. I left the R1T at home on a few ski trips for this very reason - seems like I won't have to do that again!

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
That's what I would expect as well. The primary source of the dust are gaps around the tailgate, not the covers.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Mine lets in a decent amount of water when it rains.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Mine lets in a decent amount of water when it rains.
Hmm, sorry to hear that. PNW winters were fine for me, and my bed almost always has cardboard in it. That said, we are known more for a 5-6 month drizzle than a downpour.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Same. I think it's a good, convenient design. And it's exactly what they've described from the very beginning (interlocking removable slats that can be stored in the Gear Tunnel). The only thing I see that they didn't follow through on is the ability to turn it into some sort of table.

This is from the Rivian website from all the way back at the beginning of 2021. I guess I'm not sure why folks are disappointed?
seriously. the manual tonneau is like they described all along. grow up people.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Didnā€™t read through all 18 pages, but if there is any concerns about this not being slats still we can put that to rest.
You can see the slats if you look at the sides of the bed in the screen grab I have below. You will see it gently rise and fall as your eyes go towards the rear window.

IMG_1223.png
This is how I saw the new design, too. It looks like slats with a soft cover layer over the top of it. You can see the outlines of the slats when the cover moves. Could be the best of both worlds.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
As long as there is access to the wiring harness and the truck has tracks for the slats, there should be a path forward. For the missing button on the bed, they would need to exchange the continuous trim piece on the top of the bed for one that has a cutout for the tonneau release.
Yeah, I don't see them switching out the trim piece at anything less than an exorbitant price. But if the wiring harness for the auto is present maybe they will give it a college try to upsell current manual tonneau holders.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
This is how I saw the new design, too. It looks like slats with a soft cover layer over the top of it. You can see the outlines of the slats when the cover moves. Could be the best of both worlds.
That is a really clever solution. Instead of pulling the slats in directly, the vehicle pulls the top layer, which then pushes the slats in from the back.

Before if the far side got stuck, it continued to pull on the near side, causing the slats to twist and get even more stuck. Pulling on a stuck cover also put a lot of stress on the interlocking mechanism so the slats could become disconnected.

By switching to push from the back strategy, if one side got stuck, there will be less of a twisting force and there would be no stress on the panel interlocking mechanism when it it gets stuck so you should never see the slats become disconnected from pulling too hard.

It could still get stuck and fail to retract, but it would be much less likely to self-destruct when it gets stuck.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
That is a really clever solution. Instead of pulling the slats in directly, the vehicle pulls the top layer, which then pushes the slats in from the back.

Before if the far side got stuck, it continued to pull on the near side, causing the slats to twist and get even more stuck. Pulling on a stuck cover also put a lot of stress on the interlocking mechanism so the slats could become disconnected.

By switching to push from the back strategy, if one side got stuck, there will be less of a twisting force and there would be no stress on the panel interlocking mechanism when it it gets stuck so you should never see the slats become disconnected from pulling too hard.

It could still get stuck and fail to retract, but it would be much less likely to self-destruct when it gets stuck.
Sun/UV will destroy a soft vinyl shade sitting on top of aluminum slats. No thanks.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Sun/UV will destroy a soft vinyl shade sitting on top of aluminum slats. No thanks.
How about we actually, you know, verify exactly what the materials and design is of the power tonneau before we crucify it?

Call me crazy, but maybe we shouldn't draw conclusions from a 14 second clip with bad angles?

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Hmm, sorry to hear that. PNW winters were fine for me, and my bed almost always has cardboard in it. That said, we are known more for a 5-6 month drizzle than a downpour.
Same here. Haven't seen any water get inside the bed in PNW.

Reactions: VSG

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
How about we actually, you know, verify exactly what the materials and design is of the power tonneau before we crucify it?

Call me crazy, but maybe we shouldn't draw conclusions from a 14 second clip with bad angles?
If youā€˜ve solved the problem with an existing product and are ready to get it back into production, perhaps you should spend a little time focusing on that solution and what customers should expect to receive? I feel like the fact that they didnā€™t is telling. Instead they focused on a different vapor ware product.

Regarding the manual tonneau- itā€™s exactly what they said it would be, and I would love to get one.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Whatā€™s the over/under on a September-ish announcement that the new tonneau covers will arrive for the holidays?!
Sponsored