First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Business Development
I expected insurance to go up after Nationwide saw how expensive Rivians are to repair but a DOUBLE?

No tickets for atleast 15 years, no accidents for 33 years. One year of insurance was $1262.79 and now at renewal, one year is $2409.16

Guess I'll be shopping insurance for the next week. What have others found to be good carriers for the Rivian R1T?

1692747856990.png
Check with GEICO, that’s what I pay for two cars annually, R1T & BMW 530E in Cali!
Sponsored

Swezey

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM LBP 21" Rivian Blue
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

State Farm is doing me solid in ATX. ~$650ish/6 months

OP
OP
Rickmc

Rickmc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Vacation Rentals
I was away for the weekend so I asked Rivian to requote me and rep wanted to try bundling my wife's car insurance with mine to see if a multicar discount would do much. She's paying less than they quoted through Progressive and mine only dropped like $150ish.

Her last email reply:

"HI Rick,

I was hoping we would have been competitive. Nationwide has really taken a stance in recent months where they do not like one vehicle auto policies without bundling a property insurance policy with the auto. THAT, in addition, to the rate hikes we are seeing nationwide (no pun intended) is the reason for the large increase. Consumer reports are excellent for you and your wife so we can't blame driving record or claims history on the increase.

I wish we had more options but at this time Nationwide is our only option for auto insurance only customers.

We completely understand if you'd like to proceed with setting up the insurance for non-renewal on September 14th. Let me know.

Tara Conklin
Insurance Advisor| NPN#7152564"

Sponsored

Davebloyd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Pilot
I expected insurance to go up after Nationwide saw how expensive Rivians are to repair but a DOUBLE?

No tickets for atleast 15 years, no accidents for 33 years. One year of insurance was $1262.79 and now at renewal, one year is $2409.16

Guess I'll be shopping insurance for the next week. What have others found to be good carriers for the Rivian R1T?

1692747856990.png
Allstate $509 for 6 mos. but includes discount for other car & also home.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I just got my 3rd 6-month term rate from Rivian Nationwide...it has an 18% increase with no incidents or issues from me. They raised it 10% after the 1st 6-month term... not liking this trend.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
I just got my 3rd 6-month term rate from Rivian Nationwide...it has an 18% increase with no incidents or issues from me. They raised it 10% after the 1st 6-month term... not liking this trend.
Add those 2 percentage increases together and that is us here in FL on two 2017 Hondas with no incidents or issues. And that is BEFORE we replace the Ridgeline with a R1T Dual Max yet to be delivered. Just received new annual bill: 29% increase.from The Hartford.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,

1692747856990.png
Realistically, if claims for $40k dent repair are coming in, what would you expect. Insurance companies are private businesses and would quickly go out of business if they can’t meet expenses for claims…

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Joining in with the insurance hits. My 6 month rate got raised almost 40% ($1050 -> $1457). Looks like Driver+ didn't really do anything.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rickmc

Rickmc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Vacation Rentals
Geico online showing a 6 month quote of $743.45

$1487/year vs 2409/year with Nationwide...

got the coverages as close as possible but the Geico policy does not seem to have
1) $0 glass coverage
2) New car replacement

RivianMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S and 2012 BMW 528i
Occupation
Banking
Clubs

I haven't been following this thread, but just an fyi that car insurance rates generally are increasing dramatically for all vehicles, not just Rivians. The cost to repair all cars has increased significantly the past two years, due to parts shortages, people shortages, etc. So car insurers have had two really bad years and are needing to increase rates just to break even. Think about how absolutely ubiquitous car insurance advertisements used to be. If you really stop to notice, you'll realize that you're not seeing nearly as many ads that you used to, as car insurers a) aren't really looking to write money-losing policies and b) have been looking to cut costs however they can.

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
No incidents and a great driving record here.

Just received my new annual bill for 2023: 27% increase from Nationwide Insurance.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Realistically, if claims for $40k dent repairs are coming in, what would you expect. Insurance companies are private businesses and would quickly go out of business if they can’t meet expenses for claims…
Agreed, and Rivians get totaled very easily (not due to being flimsy, but due to some design choices and super expensive replacement parts) so that adds even more to the high rates.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I apologize in advance for having to vent here:

My current policy is $1100/6 mo for our drivers and vehicles. My current insurance company just decided to not renew my policy for “substantial increase in hazard liability” according to the underwriter. What the hell does that mean? Nothing has changed in the past 6 months - no accidents or violations, etc.

So, I started looking for a new policy elsewhere. Progressive had the balls to quote me $5100/6 mo for the same coverage and everything. Seriously!?!?

If I try to enter my zip (yes, I live in annoying CA), State Farm, Liberty Mutual, Farmers, All State are all saying I need to call them because they no longer offer online quotes for my state, or they can’t find my Rivian’s VIN.

Also, I’ve been seeing when I do get an insane quote, they are saying up to 14 business days to review and approve. Before we used to be able to get insurance like same day or next. Have the electrons in computers all of a sudden slowed down?

What’s happened? Why these insane quotes? Also, I could get online quotes less than 6 months ago online! Was it because of the lame “hurriquake” we had last month? 🤬

Any fellow CA drivers got any suggestions?
Sponsored