Wind depresses hood

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Anyone notice when driving at speeds >65 mph there's a small depression/dent that appears just in front of the Rivian logo? It gets bigger the faster I go. I always noticed a lot of "bounce" in my hood before but now I can unsee this at highway speeds. It goes away once stopped but this can't be by design right? Let me know if you can see it from the photo I took while driving at 65.

Rivian R1T R1S Wind depresses hood PXL_20230110_200120101.MP
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
How fast are you REALLY driving? :D

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I've never heard of that happening. I can also confirm mine does not do that. I do have PPF, but cannot imagine that would matter.

OP
OP

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
How fast are you REALLY driving? :D
Never faster than 110mph 😜

It appears small at 65mph, gets pretty noticable around 80-85. Started noticing it a couple weeks ago and would stop and check it out and nothing, then today I paid closer attention to it and it gets bigger the faster I go.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My hood has some deflection but not any specific depression like that.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
there has been at least one other thread here reporting this same issue.

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
I have the exact same issues: the depression and hood bouncing. The depression does go away after stopping/slowing down thankfully

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Put in a ticket. Service center was able to apply more adhesive to mine to make it better. The adhesive attaching the inner and outer hood structures had split on mine.
So the depression occurs in an area where the adhesive is still bonding the outer layer to the inner structure? And around the depression, the outer layer of the hood is lifting (with respect to the inner structure) where the adhesive has split? Is that your understanding?

OKRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T 10xxx
I observed the same issue during a recent road trip. Excessive hood vibration and the depression in the center at times. I can't imagine this would wear well over tens of thousands of miles. Currently have my truck in at the service center to correct this among other things.

FWIW, my loaner has a lot less hood vibration and no depression. The good thing about having a loaner is being able to see first hand what might be "normal" to the R1T and what isn't.

Sponsored

KyleJJ06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Blue R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So the depression occurs in an area where the adhesive is still bonding the outer layer to the inner structure? And around the depression, the outer layer of the hood is lifting (with respect to the inner structure) where the adhesive has split? Is that your understanding?
No idea. I just know mine would flutter in the middle and had that same dent form at speed. They said they reapplied the adhesive and so far so good.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

A year ago, Rivian issued a service bulletin for a "customer satisfaction campaign" to address hood flutter. Insufficient adhesive is the cause, and applying more adhesive is the remedy. The bulletin only applies to early production R1T trucks (built Oct. '21 and prior).

R1T hood flutter bulletin on NHTSA website

OP
OP

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Yeah service people called, added it to my ticket, taking it in Friday for some vibrations at fast speeds and door opening/closing noises. That must be it as it never did that before and all of a sudden the last 2 weeks i noticed it and thought I was going crazy. At 80mph its very noticeable, and you can watch it grow larger the faster you go, although clearly not the safest thing to be looking at going at highway speeds. I'll report back if its the same as yours Kyle.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
I remembered seeing the thread on the hood flutter months ago so I watched for it when we got our truck a few weeks ago. Seemed pretty stout so hopefully they can apply some adhesive at the SC and make it more rigid.

OP
OP

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Yeah mine's always had a bounce to it that I thought was strange, so much that in the summer months (got mine in August) the reflection of the sun would catch my eyes here and there as it moved. Guess I shoulda taken it in then :(
Sponsored