hamdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1t
Occupation
Business owner
Hello everyone,

first of all i want to introduce myself to all forum members, my name is Dan and i own a white r1t with forest edge interior, im located in dubai and i imported my car 4 months ago for the us ,
Drove it there for 5k miles then drove it in dubai for another 3k

first of all i love the r1t from the design to the performance and the options it offers.

every car can’t be perfect like you all know and if im going to choose my biggest downside of the r1t it’s going to have to be the wind noise.

here in dubai we have butter smooth roads and our highways speed limit is 140km / 87miles, and on that kind of speed all I hear is wind noise and alot of it ,

so I started my journey to try tom solve or minimize the wind noise , started looking threw the forum and experimenting with painters tape.

and what I concluded my wind noise it coming from the doors and the front windshield and roof area. Thank goodness my triangle mirrors have no issues .

so I visited a couple of shops here locally that deals with tesla and Land Rover defenders wind noise as those cars are notorious for it.

I learned alot but decided to tackle it myself , cause I thought i can do alot of a cleaner and more thorough job,
I did many things let’s start with the doors.

for the doors i used some weatherstripping rubber to have it installed exactly beside the factory rubber on the cab to give extra insulation also put a strip of rubber on the doors them self to have an extra layer of sealing.

as for the front windshield and the sunroof i have installed a flat rubber seal that you cant tell it installed after all said and done also installed it under the windshield.

and for the gaps in the roof between the black strips and the sunroof i installed something called a tube rubber seal that tesla owners use , you can squeeze it into the edges and it will drop in and you want see it at all.

and after testing the car on highways for the past 3 days I can tell you the wind noise went down almost 90 to 95% and by that i mean it almoSt dead silent. A huge different.

i was so excited to have solved this issue because almost everyday im on the highway commuting and the wind noise was starting to really get on my nerves.
Thought I would share my experience and maybe could be helpful to some of you guys. Attached you will find the products I used and tomorrow I’ll attach pictures of the car with all the rubber installed .
Thank you

Rivian R1T R1S Wind noise solved at last -- using tube rubber seal IMG_2984
Rivian R1T R1S Wind noise solved at last -- using tube rubber seal IMG_2985
Rivian R1T R1S Wind noise solved at last -- using tube rubber seal IMG_2986
Rivian R1T R1S Wind noise solved at last -- using tube rubber seal IMG_2800
Sponsored

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Shukran!
Would you mind posting some close up pictures of the various weather striping installed around the doors and windshield?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I did the weather strip around the top of the windshield and the start of the glass pano roof. Made zero difference and I feel it made the noise worse as the edges were catching more wind. Also the adhesive on those strips are subpar when I peeled them off after a week several areas were not tacky making me think wind was actually traveling under the stripping causing more noise.

I haven’t found a solution yet I have whistling noises that I can’t pinpoint. It might be the door, that I haven’t tried. I don’t think it’s the triangle windows as it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from that specific corner.

All that said glad this worked for you. If this was a quieter truck at highway speeds it would making the drive much more enjoyable.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hamdan alqubaisi

First Name
hamdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1t
Occupation
Business owner
I did the weather strip around the top of the windshield and the start of the glass pano roof. Made zero difference and I feel it made the noise worse as the edges were catching more wind. Also the adhesive on those strips are subpar when I peeled them off after a week several areas were not tacky making me think wind was actually traveling under the stripping causing more noise.

I haven’t found a solution yet I have whistling noises that I can’t pinpoint. It might be the door, that I haven’t tried. I don’t think it’s the triangle windows as it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from that specific corner.

All that said glad this worked for you. If this was a quieter truck at highway speeds it would making the drive much more enjoyable.

i had the same problem on the first attempt, then i got a better quality rubber with 3m double sided tape this time and made sure to clean the area good before installing and giving it time to stick over night, also didn’t wash the car for a couple of days to allow to stick and cure well

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

You mean the INSIDE of the door frame, not the exterior A-pillar and triangle window! Genius. I never considered this. I tried painters tape on my A-pillar and it didn't help.

Do you have a website link to the gaskets you got?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Glad it worked out for you. Sucks you had to do it in the first place though. My R1 is quieter at 90 than my SQ5 with privacy glass by a good margin.

OP
OP

Hamdan alqubaisi

First Name
hamdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1t
Occupation
Business owner
Glad it worked out for you. Sucks you had to do it in the first place though. My R1 is quieter at 90 than my SQ5 with privacy glass by a good margin.
When comparing wind noise to other modern cars , there is a difference, an ev is different from any ice cars , i drove alost all evs on the market including the new rolls royce spectre , and the most insulated one so far in my experience is the eqs Mercedes, my rivian right now is almost dead silent, i own also the new Range Rover vouge with a v8 and my rivian is quieter than that car, i commute daily 80 miles at 6 am in the morning going to work and i do alot of microsoft teams meetings on my way to work, before i use to struggle in the meetings but now i feel that i switched on noise canceling mode,
I thought that my car only had this issue but I drove 2 other r1ts and an r1s and they all have the same amount of wind noise coming from the roof windshield area , one lunch edition r1t was much worse than the other cars ,

long story short here in dubai guys are more sensitive to wind noise than other places I think due to long smooth highways and desert winds , due to that we have a bunch of business that just work on installations of cars from toyotas to bentlyes iv seen all cars get this treatment.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
When comparing wind noise to other modern cars , there is a difference, an ev is different from any ice cars , i drove alost all evs on the market including the new rolls royce spectre , and the most insulated one so far in my experience is the eqs Mercedes, my rivian right now is almost dead silent, i own also the new Range Rover vouge with a v8 and my rivian is quieter than that car, i commute daily 80 miles at 6 am in the morning going to work and i do alot of microsoft teams meetings on my way to work, before i use to struggle in the meetings but now i feel that i switched on noise canceling mode,
I thought that my car only had this issue but I drove 2 other r1ts and an r1s and they all have the same amount of wind noise coming from the roof windshield area , one lunch edition r1t was much worse than the other cars ,

long story short here in dubai guys are more sensitive to wind noise than other places I think due to long smooth highways and desert winds , due to that we have a bunch of business that just work on installations of cars from toyotas to bentlyes iv seen all cars get this treatment.
You could just be more sensitive to the noise as you said. I don't have the world's best hearing anymore thanks to being too cool for ear pro shooting and in construction until I realised hearing damage is nothing to be messing with.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hamdan alqubaisi

First Name
hamdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1t
Occupation
Business owner
You mean the INSIDE of the door frame, not the exterior A-pillar and triangle window! Genius. I never considered this. I tried painters tape on my A-pillar and it didn't help.

Do you have a website link to the gaskets you got?
here you go

my next step will be sound deadning matts in the doors and around the inside of the roof area around the moon roof , im trying to seek for perfection hhhhh.

i know its a truck but i love my r1t and it wont heart trying

Limited-time deal: Car Weather Stripping, Universal Self Adhesive Auto Door Rubber Draft Seal Strip,10M L Shape Car Window Door Seal Strip Trunk Trim Edge Weatherstrip Engine Cover Noise Insulation https://amzn.eu/d/hCbJXam

Hugewth 2 Pack Car Weather... https://www.amazon.ae/dp/B0C85PSJ2G?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Cord Stock Rubber Seal – EPDM Closed Cell Solid Foam Tubing – Ideal Door and Window Weather Seal for Cars, Trucks, RVs, Boats, and The Home – 0.24” Diameter, 23ft Length https://amzn.eu/d/1lIUkPj

OP
OP

Hamdan alqubaisi

First Name
hamdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1t
Occupation
Business owner
You could just be more sensitive to the noise as you said. I don't have the world's best hearing anymore thanks to being too cool for ear pro shooting and in construction until I realised hearing damage is nothing to be messing with.
Maybe sir , also one of my reasons to is that i dont like people trying to criticize my r1t because i seriously enjoy this car, i had a bunch of people try my car and everyone brought up the wind noise at high speeds specially since its an ev and you here nothing else than wind, so i made it my mission to solve this problem, even if it means sealing all the gaps with silicon , thank goodness i didn’t go that far

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Thank you for this post. Gave me a few ideas of additional items to try!

I found a few items on temu and going to try it out!