Sponsored

Windshield seal

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
I know there has been a ton of discussion around Rivian weak glass and windshields breaking. I’m curious if anyone has had problems with the windshield being set / sealed properly.

On our most recent repair visit they checked around the windshield and told us it wasn’t set properly. We hadn’t had any problems to date (except some wind whistling noise we thought was coming from the door window) so it was surprising. Visibly it looked ok to us.

They ended up fully replacing the entire front windshield. I mean on the one hand it’s great because they identified an issue before we knew there was one. But seems strange it would be an issue at all. We are also now out $350 for the crystalline film we had installed.

Anyone else get a surprise new windshield on a service visit?
Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

it's nice that they're identifying these issues, I suppose? There was another thread where a person brought their vehicle in for service and got a free new subwoofer out of it after they identified an issue. Although personally I'd take issue that (in that person's case) they just replaced it without even saying anything until after the fact.

Service works in mysterious ways, I suppose. 🤷😆

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I know there has been a ton of discussion around Rivian weak glass and windshields breaking. I’m curious if anyone has had problems with the windshield being set / sealed properly.

On our most recent repair visit they checked around the windshield and told us it wasn’t set properly. We hadn’t had any problems to date (except some wind whistling noise we thought was coming from the door window) so it was surprising. Visibly it looked ok to us.

They ended up fully replacing the entire front windshield. I mean on the one hand it’s great because they identified an issue before we knew there was one. But seems strange it would be an issue at all. We are also now out $350 for the crystalline film we had installed.

Anyone else get a surprise new windshield on a service visit?
Curious, is the whistling gone now?

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Oof.
I have a bad whistling from the front/top windscreen area.

I have STEK Dynoshield installed. I would be ...miffed if they replace the entire windscreen--that was $500 :(

mcclajb

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

Oof.
I have a bad whistling from the front/top windscreen area.

I have STEK Dynoshield installed. I would be ...miffed if they replace the entire windscreen--that was $500 :(
Just had my windshield replaced yesterday after suffering a crack in the first 3 months I’ve had my R1S. Before taking delivery, I looked into windshield protective film, but everything I came across, including the professional installers, said it was terrible. Since the crack appeared, I’ve gone back to researching. STEK and Exoshield are the main ones mentioned everywhere, but again, I’m finding that nearly everybody that’s had them longer than a few months has stated there are numerous issues and they end up taking it off.

I am very interested to hear your experience. How long have you had it, and are there any visibility/distortion issues? What about wear from the wipers?

I have the safety glass coverage from Rivian/Nationwide, and although it doesn’t cost me anything, I would prefer not to have to do this every few months.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

are these being found randomly or because your vehicles were in for "wind noise"?

OP
OP
SoCalTravels

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Curious, is the whistling gone now?
In addition to replacing the windshield, they removed and replaced the drivers door quarter window glass gasket and balanced and reset the drivers door.

After all of that we still have a whistle in the drivers door on the freeway.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Just had my windshield replaced yesterday after suffering a crack in the first 3 months I’ve had my R1S. Before taking delivery, I looked into windshield protective film, but everything I came across, including the professional installers, said it was terrible. Since the crack appeared, I’ve gone back to researching. STEK and Exoshield are the main ones mentioned everywhere, but again, I’m finding that nearly everybody that’s had them longer than a few months has stated there are numerous issues and they end up taking it off.

I am very interested to hear your experience. How long have you had it, and are there any visibility/distortion issues? What about wear from the wipers?

I have the safety glass coverage from Rivian/Nationwide, and although it doesn’t cost me anything, I would prefer not to have to do this every few months.
I did have mine replaced once. The distortion is *supposed* to cure out after a couple of weeks, but when I had a few lines in my line of view, my detailer replaced it for free and without any resistance whatsoever. I think it comes down to how good your installer is, to be honest.

Regarding wiper wear-- I was simply told this: don't use your wipers dry. So, if it's not raining, I simply use the washer fluid when I use them (which is somewhat sparingly).

I also have the Rivian/Nationwide glass replacement, but I'd also just prefer to maintain my vehicle. I was told that it's probably good to plan to replace the Dynoshield once every 3 years or so.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

In addition to replacing the windshield, they removed and replaced the drivers door quarter window glass gasket and balanced and reset the drivers door.

I had that gasket replaced, too. Still noise.

I then 3D printed the shims in the post below. The top one fit and has made a huge difference. Bottom one didn’t fit for me:

https://www.rivianforums.com/3d-printed-window-shims-to-fix-drivers-side-wind-noise/

It’s something with that black vertical divider between the small vent window and main window. When I press down on it on my R1T on the driver’s side, I can see it move up and down. It’s snug on the passenger side and doesn’t move at all. Neither driver nor passenger side move at all on my R1S on which wind noise has pleasantly not been a problem.

Rivian seems to have improved something.

I was pleasantly surprised those shims seems to have worked for me. I can still press down slightly on that piece but it’s a lot more secure.

@rhuber, thanks!

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I've been trying to root cause this one on my R1T. I have made good progress in analysis but no solution yet. Preview: The Service Centers are probably not going to know how to fix these.

Sponsored

mcclajb

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

I did have mine replaced once. The distortion is *supposed* to cure out after a couple of weeks, but when I had a few lines in my line of view, my detailer replaced it for free and without any resistance whatsoever. I think it comes down to how good your installer is, to be honest.

Regarding wiper wear-- I was simply told this: don't use your wipers dry. So, if it's not raining, I simply use the washer fluid when I use them (which is somewhat sparingly).

I also have the Rivian/Nationwide glass replacement, but I'd also just prefer to maintain my vehicle. I was told that it's probably good to plan to replace the Dynoshield once every 3 years or so.
Some of the best info I’ve received on this issue. I may take the plunge and see how it works out. Thanks!

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Check the door seals on the door without the whistle and make sure they look the same on the noisy side. My passenger door had door seals that were shoved under some of the plastic trim in places that it should not be and stuck over the plastic trim in other places where it should not be. Had to have the little triangle window replaced as well because the plastic with the seal was bowed out and not touching the glass like it was on the drivers side. Now I have no wind noise.
Sponsored