First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE (QM/L), 2024 Zero DSR/X
Occupation
Product Management
Picked up a Dometic CFX3 35. Fits okay but doesn't want to sit flat. But I think this amount of angle is fine.

PXL_20220407_000109505.jpg

PXL_20220407_000124071.MP.jpg

I can reach in over the side of the bed to get in it. Can't do that for the fridge in the Hummer at all.

Didn't even bother trying to fit it in the frunk. I'm sure it won't fit.
Curious about this one since they're on sale - does it fit in the gear tunnel? And for @SkyFall , are those the Dometic straps?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Curious about this one since they're on sale - does it fit in the gear tunnel? And for @SkyFall , are those the Dometic straps?
I don't think so, but I'll give it a try tonight.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE (QM/L), 2024 Zero DSR/X
Occupation
Product Management
I don't think so, but I'll give it a try tonight.
Might be able to save you some time... my calibration is pretty approximate, but it says "no" lol

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian is going to have to make a fridge 1653072806202

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Might be able to save you some time... my calibration is pretty approximate, but it says "no" lol

1653072806202.png
It might physically fit inside the gear tunnel, but you can't actually get it in there. ;)

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
This one of my biggest disappointments with my R1T. I was very bummed when I lifted the false bottom and and saw that hump there. That hump is for the cooling fan for the batteries. If that hump was a few more inches down my ARB would fit. To me a fridge is more important than an inductive stove in a adventure vehicle. I don't want to go back to hotdog water in a cooler. Heck, for that matter, even a decent cooler won't fit in the frunk or in the bed with the cover on.

Looks like the fridge will go in the back seat for now. I would prefer the rear seat tilt up from the front edge instead of the back. It would be easier to make a mount for the fridge. Lack of a 12V in the bed and the cab is an oversight too. I guess I can pull 12V from the tunnel for the cab, but it is not optimal.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This one of my biggest disappointments with my R1T. I was very bummed when I lifted the false bottom and and saw that hump there. That hump is for the cooling fan for the batteries. If that hump was a few more inches down my ARB would fit. To me a fridge is more important than an inductive stove in a adventure vehicle. I don't want to go back to hotdog water in a cooler. Heck, for that matter, even a decent cooler won't fit in the frunk or in the bed with the cover on.

Looks like the fridge will go in the back seat for now. I would prefer the rear seat tilt up from the front edge instead of the back. It would be easier to make a mount for the fridge. Lack of a 12V in the bed and the cab is an oversight too. I guess I can pull 12V from the tunnel for the cab, but it is not optimal.
I can see why they made the seats hinge at the front - the rear door opening angle is small, flipping the seat bottoms up instead of forward would make access harder.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There is 12V in the cab.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
There is 12V in the cab.
Thanks. I couldn't find it. It is up under the front main display. There is also a 110V in the rear cab. I had to look closely to find it. I was looking for an access cover and I almost started to pull the 110V receptacle out.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

The Dometic 35 fits under the tonneau with a mere few mm to spare. I was excited to discover that.

One thing that does bum me out is the lack of 12V in the truck bed. I have to run the inverter to power the fridge, only for the fridge to then rectify the 120V back to 12V...sorta silly.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The Dometic 35 fits under the tonneau with a mere few mm to spare. I was excited to discover that.

One thing that does bum me out is the lack of 12V in the truck bed. I have to run the inverter to power the fridge, only for the fridge to then rectify the 120V back to 12V...sorta silly.
Right. I have a small (1kWh) battery in the bed to power the fridge. The battery charges off the vehicle, then the vehicle can be completely off and the battery powers the fridge for 12+ hrs. So there's an advantage, but it still takes up a bit of space. A simple 12V outlet (weatherproof with a locking mechanism) seems like a simple high value feature.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Right. I have a small (1kWh) battery in the bed to power the fridge. The battery charges off the vehicle, then the vehicle can be completely off and the battery powers the fridge for 12+ hrs. So there's an advantage, but it still takes up a bit of space. A simple 12V outlet (weatherproof with a locking mechanism) seems like a simple high value feature.
A 1kwh 12V battery, or 120VAC inverter/battery ?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
What kind of fridge do you have that's pulling down a 1kwh battery on 12v in only 12 hours??? That's an average draw of about 83 watts. Mine averages around 10-12w on 12v (Dometic) and the peak draw when getting it to temp from ambient is only 50 watts.......

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer

I think there is a soft pass thru from the gear tunnel- pull the front bed cover liner (8 bolts) and you’ll see a water sealed hole that might serve as a 12v pass thru.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Also, this was discussed in some other thread, but Rivian is not alone in not having 12v in the bed. There isn't a production truck in existence with one, not even the Fords which have every other power supply known to man back there. They are common in the back of SUV's, but for whatever reason (cost/logistics) no one runs them to a truck bed.

Also, the power inefficiency of 120v vs. 12v really isn't even significant, especially drawing from a 135kwh battery. My guess is it's zero sum, and most people would rather have two 120v plugs than one of each (120v is more ubiquitous, and most things that can run on 12v can also run on 120v). Plus in the Rivian it wouldn't do you any good with the truck off, which is when you'd most use those plugs.
Sponsored