Tonneau cover issues

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Mine is totally farked. Broke after 3 usages. Mobile service came out and tried to repair it but ending up giving up and removing some slats so it's fully open.

No huge deal for me at long as it hopefully gets sorted before winter.
Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
UPDATE: My tonneau wouldn't retract all the way. It would stop with 1 to 1.5 panels left to retract and then get stuck.

Today I need to use the bed so I sprayed all the slats and the two tracks with WD-40 Window and Track Dry Lube and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It fully retracted without any issues after that. So now I have the bed fully open and I'll probably leave it this way until it goes in for the fix in October.
You have an appointment specifically for the tonneau fix? Are they doing a temporary fix or upgrade to a new design?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
You have an appointment specifically for the tonneau fix? Are they doing a temporary fix or upgrade to a new design?
Supposedly they would have the new parts by then, but who knows.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So not sure if this has been mentioned before somewhere but has Rivian clearly explained what the next version of the cover will look like / be to prevent these issues. I read some post about going from single motor to dual motor but I don’t know if that would completely resolve without some sort of design change?

I’ve also seen some tonneaus that have had a slight overlap In the panels and some that are completely flush. Does that indicate a V1 vs V2?
My service tech said the same about one motor to two motors. He also said there should be some overlap between the panels - if there’s none they separate, and if there’s too much they collide with the plastic trim below the window. So some overlap is desired…

Wolfhowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 Rav4
My service tech said the same about one motor to two motors. He also said there should be some overlap between the panels - if there’s none they separate, and if there’s too much they collide with the plastic trim below the window. So some overlap is desired…
I took delivery last Tues and the delivery rep confirmed I have the redesigned tonneau. There is overlap on the panels as well as two motors and the motion seems to be smooth and reliable. 0 issues after about 20 open/close cycles. 118xx VIN for reference

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
WTF? Cracked roof, delivery issues and broken tonneau on delivery. Are they drugging you guys before dropping these trucks off, and your accepting this trash as product?
I think I’ll go ahead and be the one to worry about how I spend my money and suggest you do the same on your end.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I took delivery last Tues and the delivery rep confirmed I have the redesigned tonneau. There is overlap on the panels as well as two motors and the motion seems to be smooth and reliable. 0 issues after about 20 open/close cycles. 118xx VIN for reference
Good to hear!

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Took delivery the other day and the tonneau didn't sound that rough like some of the other trucks I've heard (mostly the stacking makes noise), I'm not sure if it's one of the redesigned ones, I've only used it a handful of times to demonstrate it but it hasn't stuck.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Can you share a video with sound?

Would love to compare with older videos.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Yes! Would love to see what this new design looks like!

bcp

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Executive Director, Non-Profit association
Took delivery of my new R1T 5 days ago here in Seattle, The cover retracting mechanism failed on day three, with me only retracting the cover and replaying it back to the closed position five times. It just seems to get a lot of friction when retracting, and just stalls out and does not retract completely. Oh well. My guide told me to make a service appointment. Oh well.....

njech7

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Porsche Cayenne Manual
Occupation
Sales
I get my truck today and the tonneau is already broken. :) I'm a 123xx VIN so I'll be interested to see if I have a broken redesigned unit. I hope not, but it's strange that a 11xxx VIN would have the redesign and 12xxx would not.

I will rarely need the tonneau open so leaving it closed.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
I wonder if there's a correlation with paint color (in terms of the new vs. old covers). If Rivian are anything like Tesla, they batch VIN's by paint color, so even though a VIN 12xxx might be higher, it doesn't mean it's 'newer' than an 11xxx VIN. That said, since all of this stuff is bolted on after body-in-white, it would be a bit weird; even if the parts are allocated pre-paint, you'd think Rivian would want the gen 1 covers out of the manufacturing loop ASAP.

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
Here are some photos of my tonneau. 109xx VIN. There is a slight overlap on the panels. I don't know how to tell if I have one or two motors. Haven't had any issues yet although it doesn't always sound great when retracting. But I probably have less than a dozen cycles on it.

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues tempImagetUp7vM

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues tempImagerWoXut
Sponsored