Tonneau cover issues

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
So I've been submitting a list of service items to Rivian over these 2.5 weeks I've had my truck. Mostly cosmetic stuff, but there are some weird behaviors that may be the whole axle issue people are experiencing. Either way, my truck was delivered with a broken tonneau, it was closed and won't budge.

While on the phone with the tech to schedule my service appointment, he said they could force it open and leave it that way until there's a fix, which I said sure. I also asked if he knew when the fix would be available and he didn't know.

Well, I got my service confirmation document, which shows all of the items to be addressed, and one of the line items is "repair and replace powered tonneau". I sure hope that's real! there is ALSO the line item to open the existing cover for me. Either way, I'm cautiously optimistic that in ~3 weeks, after my appt is done, I'll have a working tonneau cover for once.
Mine is in the SC now with the same line item. I'm not holding my breath, but also it started working "ok" after an OTA update so I am not as concerned. That said, it doesn't sound great, and occasionally doesn't open the whole way, so all is not well.
Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Mine said repair and replace tonneau on two service visits, it is not repaired or replaced. I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Mine said repair and replace tonneau on two service visits, it is not repaired or replaced. I wouldn’t get my hopes up. I think that’s standard language for tonneau issues.

mdpackman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 F-150, '15 Navigator, '78 Bronco, '02 Explorer
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm throwing my hat in the ring here as well. Took delivery 2.5 weeks ago and after 1 week the cover would only open about 3 slats then stop. It's retracting squarely, simply stops on that 3rd section. Sometimes it doesn't get that far and only gets 1 section tucked away.

I am going to wash and try the dry lube solution since I have some but I'm doubtful that will really do anything since the amount of dust on mine was really negligible.

When I ordered in the beginning - like most of you - I could tell right away that this would be the first thing to break because it will not last the test of time. I also agree they should remove the tonneau cover altogether and ship without them. Let 3rd parties put them on because they do a really good job! Give some type of connector that could be used if someone wants a powered option but really.. not worth the headache it's causing.

Anyone else come up with any good tricks or dissasembly/service instructions for the tonneau cover? Like a Chiltons for Rivian?

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Sponsored

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
just a quick non-update update, the Dallas SC is finally open, so my R1T is going in for the delivery issues, plus, um, cracked roof and broken sharkfin.

Anyway, it was delivered with a broken tonneau cover, the service guy said they still don't have parts to replace it, and no ETA.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
just a quick non-update update, the Dallas SC is finally open, so my R1T is going in for the delivery issues, plus, um, cracked roof and broken sharkfin.

Anyway, it was delivered with a broken tonneau cover, the service guy said they still don't have parts to replace it, and no ETA.
I'd like to see what the inside of the sharkfin looks like. What I really want is a shorter (ideally nearly flat) replacement. The sharkfin adds about 2.5 inches of height to the truck (and can get in the way of roof cargo).

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F

WTF? Cracked roof, delivery issues and broken tonneau on delivery. Are they drugging you guys before dropping these trucks off, and your accepting this trash as product?

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
The tonneau cover issue was made clear to me before they even set up the delivery time. The shark fin and roof are a result of wife reversing vs. garage door. All the other stuff is trivial, but since the nearest SC was 400 miles away, I opted to wait til Dallas opened. I've no complaints, Rivian gave us options. The tonneau cover is, obviously, the main issue, and I'm far, far from alone in that.

Sponsored

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
Mine is still working (1 month out) although it makes some wierd noises. I sprayed pure silicone into the track when I lubricated my spare tire cover gasket (so it would open without the use of a gently applied wonderbar). I'm thinking I should spray the whole cover with it. On the bright side all my tools are still dry even after the 1.5" rain we finally got last week. I have heard the phrase weather proof but not water proof - so far its waterproof even when it puddled on the cover during a wash. I Really Really wish there was a cap out there (with operating sides, roof racks and access to the buttons) so I could hang up some stuff and carry more. I don't go on many adventures but I do go to work every day. Supposedly service is going to upgrade the tonneau -when the parts arrive...

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
UPDATE: My tonneau wouldn't retract all the way. It would stop with 1 to 1.5 panels left to retract and then get stuck.

Today I need to use the bed so I sprayed all the slats and the two tracks with WD-40 Window and Track Dry Lube and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It fully retracted without any issues after that. So now I have the bed fully open and I'll probably leave it this way until it goes in for the fix in October.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
WTF? Cracked roof, delivery issues and broken tonneau on delivery. Are they drugging you guys before dropping these trucks off, and your accepting this trash as product?
Wy are you posting the same comment in so many different threads?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
So not sure if this has been mentioned before somewhere but has Rivian clearly explained what the next version of the cover will look like / be to prevent these issues. I read some post about going from single motor to dual motor but I don’t know if that would completely resolve without some sort of design change?

I’ve also seen some tonneaus that have had a slight overlap In the panels and some that are completely flush. Does that indicate a V1 vs V2?

Last edited:

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

I have an 88xx VIN, and mine has been ok for the most part. Loud snapping noise a quarter of the way, but still opens fine.
I have noticed that it fails when the weather is hotter though
Sponsored