Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think current pricing is fair, but way more than I’d buy. While I can easily afforded it, I cant justify It. While I didn’t cancel when prices went up, I think I eventually would have. I’d get a Tacoma or something instead. When I placed my preorder on all electric trucks I wasn’t committed to getting the R1T, but once it reverted to the lower price it became a deal and I was 100% all in.
Sponsored

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

No they haven’t. They support lane keep assist, which ping-pongs within the lane. That is not lane centering.

Maybe you should RTFM.
Lane keeping assist is lane centering. Though I agree the implementation is a bit flawed right now.

Reactions: Rad

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Definitely not. After taxes truck would be $100k..... The ride quality alone would put me off, and considering what's coming down the line industry wide I'd lease a nice car and wait. After rebate I'm right where I'd want to be for what I have.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Lane keeping assist is lane centering. Though I agree the implementation is a bit flawed right now.
No it isn’t. They are distinct things. Lane keep assist simply nudges you back the opposite direction if you cross the lane marker. This is what causes “ping-ponging” if you attempt to let lane keep alone steer the car. Lane centering specifically keeps you centered in your lane without ping-ponging. It can take modest curves without user input. BMW, Audi, Hyundai, and Kia for example offer lane centering. Porsche and Land Rover (and Rivian) only offer lane keep. There’s a big difference in experience between them.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/lane-departure-vs-lane-keeping-vs-lane-centering-tech

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

No it isn’t. They are distinct things. Lane keep assist simply nudges you back the opposite direction if you cross the lane marker. This is what causes “ping-ponging” if you attempt to let lane keep alone steer the car. Lane centering specifically keeps you centered in your lane without ping-ponging. It can take modest curves without user input. BMW, Audi, Hyundai, and Kia for example offer lane centering. Porsche and Land Rover (and Rivian) only offer lane keep. There’s a big difference in experience between them.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/lane-departure-vs-lane-keeping-vs-lane-centering-tech
Got it. I actually drive mine so not a thing for me.

Sponsored

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
I appreciate this answer even though in my view the X7 (at least the base model which is the only one starting under $100k) is not really comparable to the R1S from a performance lens (speed and offroading capability). To each his own!
Agreed if we needed speed or off-road ability. But we don’t need either. Just want a comfortable family cruiser with some bells and whistles. Our R1S will never leave the pavement and at the new price I would prefer an actual luxury vehicle. The biggest problem with the R1S is the ride quality. It’s subpar even at the original price, let alone the new price.

Last edited:

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I don't have mine yet so tough to say. However looking for an electric SUV, what are my other choices. The MB EQS is in the low 100ks, the Audi Q8-Etron 90s-110, the BMW IX 80-100......

Bmitch24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don't have mine yet so tough to say. However looking for an electric SUV, what are my other choices. The MB EQS is in the low 100ks, the Audi Q8-Etron 90s-110, the BMW IX 80-100......

I think this is the right answer except you can ignore electric. The closest comparable ICE SUVs are a RR Sport SVR or a G wagon AMG. Those are considerably more expensive. 100k for a vehicle is excessive for sure, but in the current market there are zero other options that package similar daily use capability with the driving dynamics and in cabin refinement for anywhere close to 100K. People talk about a Tacoma as a replacement but it is a smaller truck with far less usable storage space and not even remotely similar on road driving characteristics. If a Tacoma is an acceptable alternative, the current pricing is way too high, but if you want daily driver that can carry 8 sheets of plywood or 25 bags of mulch while feeling not much less refined inside than a well equipped luxury SUV and having driving dynamics at legal speeds on par with any high end sports sedan, there aren't any other options. Sure you could own two or three cars, but that would still be much more out of pocket cost up front, not to mention the higher operating cost.

So if you have 100k to blow on a car which then the current pricing is very reasonable. If you don't then of course you have to give up on the perks of R1 ownership for now. I was probably going to cancel, but 4 months in I absolutely would purchase mine at current prices knowing know what I was getting into.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don’t have mine yet, but when they tried to raise prices last march I did not cancel and was starting to look at a different configuration I could still afford. If I removed any extras I think I had found a way to still get a truck for around a $10k increase.

For me it was still a good value compared to what we knew at the time was competition. All of this is still true when considering higher prices IMHO:
  1. Ford Lightning: similar price, but only for 200 mile range model and basic interior. Since then Ford has raised it’s price 4 times.
  2. Chevy Silverado EV: Not a fan of the way it looks and pricing is still very unclear. Just like the Ford, the WT is cheap and spartan, but the RST is $105k. No one knows what the other models will be priced at.
  3. GMC Sierra EV (wasn’t announced yet): Looks better than the Silverado but priced higher.
  4. RAM 1500 EV: Was still vapor ware at that point. No pricing announced and very few details.
  5. Tesla Cybertruck: Not a chance in hell🦄
For me the Rivian was still the best value so I was still determined to make it happen if possible.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
My R1T was a smoking hot deal at $78K. Based on comparable vehicles my opinion is it's still the best choice at $93K. I will probably look to replace my R1T in about 4 years from now and yes I will shop around for all models but at the moment Rivian still seems to be the most compelling choice for me. I must say the Rivians do have an untangable factor (for me) that I really like this will obviously vary wildly among owners.
I don't quite understand peoples hostility towards others posting on this thread. Everyones mental math is very different. If one has narrowed down their next car purchase between a R1T, vs a Tacoma or a Ram TRX than those vehicles are in the same market for that household regardless of capabilities. their really are no wrong answers.

Sponsored

gsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 infiniti G37 convertible, 2010 expedition
Occupation
retired computer designer
Clubs

A Cybertruck might not make sense anymore if you are 80 years old when it finally arrives.
Hey, watch it. Just turned 80 and got R1S!

chandlerr85

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Jeep Wrangler, C6 Corvette Z06, R1S
I would gladly pay updated pricing, especially if I could get it now.

IlliniRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
The day after Rivian announced the price hikes, I put down a deposit for 2023 Range Rover Sport with plans to get the PHEV. Unfortunately, that option only came at the top trim levels so it priced out at around $108k (not full EV but gets 51 all electric, which takes care of 95% of my driving). I could not justify paying that much more than pre-price hike R1S so I cancelled it (although I would likely have the RRS now and I do not have my R1S). I still think the R1S is the best bang for the buck but at the higher pricing the competition is getting closer.

Mjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
software engineer
Rivian should have started with dual motor out of the gate, because people now expect an 835hp truck. There's really no need. Dual motor would have been more than enough for most people, and at that price point I think it's worth it.

R1S88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The market decides what a "fair" price is and Rivian can decide what price and volume maximizes profits long term. Right now there's still a long waiting list, so even though there are those in this thread that wouldn't buy at the current price there seems to be plenty that will. A year or two from now we'll see.
Sponsored