OP
OP
Rivian_Hugh_III

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I had two Quadrasteer Suburbans. I loved the feature and was sorry to see it go away. The last year that it was offered was 2005. It was especially useful when backing a trailer. I watched the short driving video of the new Electric Silverado. The vehicle in the video has four-wheel steering.

Brian
If Cyber, Silverado, Hummer all have 4-wheel steering, I wonder how long Lightning and R1T hold out. Again, it may not be strictly necessary, but it would make tank turn easier if you could tilt both front wheels toward the grill and both back wheels toward the hitch.
Sponsored

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Four-wheel steering seems like a gimme for an electric vehicle with a motor on each wheel. I’m surprised Rivians weren’t designed with it from the start, especially considering how visionary they have been about so many aspects of the vehicle.

Do you think 4-wheel steering is coming any time soon? Is it a challenging engineering problem? How much might it add to the cost of the vehicle? Is it necessary or just a gimmick on a vehicle like the R1’s where turn radius seems already pretty good?

87CAE633-D3FF-4085-8899-508EB12C1FAE.gif
Having 1, 2 or 4 motors doesn’t really make it any easier to incorporate 4-wheel steering (actually having to make axles both steer and drive makes it harder if anything). The 4 motors could make for some improved torque-vectoring relatively easy. Full fledged 4WS systems haven’t sold particularly well although folks with the Chevy pickups liked them, you almost never saw one spec’s with it.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Why do you presume those things?

I agree that it feels like combining drivetrain and steering on the same axle should be difficult, but the cheapest and most reliable cars all have power and steering on the same axle.

If steering the front wheels on a FWD vehicle does not create expense/durability/reliability issues, why do you assume that steering the rear wheels an AWD vehicle would be problematic?
It will add more expense, that's an obvious conclusion - it's requires more physical components, alignment mechanism, etc.

I think the real answer (as in many cases) is easily found in historical information. It's been a feature and discontinued on numerous vehicles by numerous manufacturers over the years. That speaks for itself. Either problematic or too expensive, or both. If it worked well at low cost and was in demand, every vehicle today would have it.

HTownB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Having 1, 2 or 4 motors doesn’t really make it any easier to incorporate 4-wheel steering (actually having to make axles both steer and drive makes it harder if anything). The 4 motors could make for some improved torque-vectoring relatively easy. Full fledged 4WS systems haven’t sold particularly well although folks with the Chevy pickups liked them, you almost never saw one spec’s with it.
Given it’s a larger vehicle, I’d think this would be most handy at low speeds to aid with parking. I’d expect torque vectoring could aid in that regard, though it seems consistency could be a problem. As a driver, I don’t really want to be guessing what my turn angle is going to be based on a combination of how much I turn the wheel and my speed. Perhaps this could be part of some sort of “smart” parking functionality, specifically if we get to a point with fully autonomous driving. A computer could probably center up a tight spot better than any human could.

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
4 wheel steering is more practical for day to day driving. Tank turns are IMHO a trick or gimmick that has very few applications other than to show off to friends. TOYOTA already has designed and patented 4 wheel steering and side sliding.
Rivian R1T R1S When Will R1’s Get 4-Wheel Steering? TOYOTA 1

Rivian R1T R1S When Will R1’s Get 4-Wheel Steering? TOYOTA 2

Rivian R1T R1S When Will R1’s Get 4-Wheel Steering? TOYOTA 3

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The Ford Bronco has "Trail turn assist' - I'd settle for something similar on the Rivian.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The Ford Bronco has "Trail turn assist' - I'd settle for something similar on the Rivian.

It’d be pretty easy, with 4 motors, to turn the rear wheels in opposite directions, or vary the speed of inner and outer rear wheels slightly to tighten up turning.

full on 4 wheels steering seems like needless complexity.

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The 200-series Land Cruiser / LX570 have had that for years. I'm really hoping Rivian at least gives us that much though. IIRC, they are calling that feature a K-turn, but haven't released it yet.

jsharpe

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had 4 wheel steer on a previous truck. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Improved handling and much tighter turn radious.

The only question I have now is about their "K-turn". I can see how slowing the inside rear helps, but your front tires only turn so far? There will be scrubbing on those front tires.
Although I've Neve had a vehicle with it, the videos of the 2023 Range Rover 4 wheel steering look pretty sweet.
Sponsored