GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Does anyone have any experience with this product(?):

Rivian R1T R1S Dogs and Rivians 🐾 1693096109279
Kong Vehicle Tether
*not an affiliate link

My lil buddy just had surgery so he won't be my driving buddy for a couple weeks while he heals. But, I was intrigued to see someone finally using multiple LATCH anchors for what would seemingly be a more secure (and large dog )friendly safety tether
Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Does that one even own a dog. No reference to trying to get their doggo into the truck.
My doggo fist just fine and she loves going hiking in Lake Tahoe in her truck.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

1693096109279.png
Kong Vehicle Tether
*not an affiliate link

My lil buddy just had surgery so he won't be my driving buddy for a couple weeks while he heals. But, I was intrigued to see someone finally using multiple LATCH anchors for what would seemingly be a more secure (and large dog )friendly safety tether
I haven’t used that particular one, but I’ve used other tethers in the past with big dogs. I had to give up on the idea because with multiple dogs they still managed to keep getting tangled up with each other:confused:

Kong usually makes pretty good products, so I bet it’s made well. I like the multiple anchor points.

I hope your buddy feels better soon.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

1693096109279.png
Kong Vehicle Tether
*not an affiliate link

With anything that involves lots of force, the question will always be what's the weakest critical component. The LATCH anchors certainly won't be the weakest point, but neither would the seatbelt be. I would be a little concerned about that swivel clip. It's also hard to tell from that photo how the strap that clips to the dog is secured to that center triangle piece.

All that said, if your concern is simply keeping the dog in place instead of roaming about or escaping through an open door, rather than safely securing the dog during a major crash, it should probably be fine.

EDIT TO ADD: Since that is just the tether, you should also give careful thought to what it's attached to. I would not ever attach a tether like that to a collar or even most harnesses because of the risk of injuries caused by them in even a minor wreck.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
With anything that involves lots of force, the question will always be what's the weakest critical component. The LATCH anchors certainly won't be the weakest point, but neither would the seatbelt be. I would be a little concerned about that swivel clip. It's also hard to tell from that photo how the strap that clips to the dog is secured to that center triangle piece.

All that said, if your concern is simply keeping the dog in place instead of roaming about or escaping through an open door, rather than safely securing the dog during a major crash, it should probably be fine.

EDIT TO ADD: Since that is just the tether, you should also give careful thought to what it's attached to. I would not ever attach a tether like that to a collar or even most harnesses because of the risk of injuries caused by them in even a minor wreck.
Agree completely.

From the safety perspective, our German Shepherds have used the sleepypod clickit sport harness in combination with the seatbelts in the past. I don't trust most of the products on the market these days (although there are multiple good options) but this combo has been battle tested by my family - and the dog (and people) walked away from this accident with zero injuries.

Rivian R1T R1S Dogs and Rivians 🐾 20210905_184530

Last edited:

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Duke and Rizzo love adventures! We like to take them kite flying, but we have to be careful on windy days not to get the dogs stuck up in a power line.

Rivian R1T R1S Dogs and Rivians 🐾 20221025_093523~2

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Duke and Rizzo love adventures! We like to take them kite flying, but we have to be careful on windy days not to get the dogs stuck up in a power line.

20221025_093523~2.jpg
The lighter colored one looks like the instigator… He’s probably Rizzo if I had to guess!

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

The lighter colored one looks like the instigator… He’s probably Rizzo if I had to guess!
Partial credit ☺ The orange and cream one is Duke, Rizzo's older half brother, and yes he's the instigator! Rizzo is 99% deaf and can only hear loud noises, so Duke alerts her whenever something interesting is going on. They've got a great dynamic 😍

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Partial credit ☺ The orange and cream one is Duke, Rizzo's older half brother, and yes he's the instigator! Rizzo is 99% deaf and can only hear loud noises, so Duke alerts her whenever something interesting is going on. They've got a great dynamic 😍
That is adorable!

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Collars are for name tags

my dog uses the only crash tested harness (I’m aware of) the sleepy pod brand,
I know that the latch system is rated for 65lbs so it may be an option for medium and smaller dogs

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Collars are for name tags

my dog uses the only crash tested harness (I’m aware of) the sleepy pod brand,
I know that the latch system is rated for 65lbs so it may be an option for medium and smaller dogs
Not the only one that’s crash tested, but the only one certified by the Center for Pet Safety. RuffWear crash tests their harnesses but disagree with one of the standards that CPS has for certification. RuffWear’s harness connects to the seatbelt lower than the SleepyPod harnesses. RuffWear thinks that safer in most collisions but it does allow more forward travel, which exceeds CPS’s front row incursion standard slightly. I can see both sides of it. But from my research, those are the only two brands I would consider right now if I were buying a harness specifically for crash safety.
Sponsored